Sportsviking

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with a possession tactic and so far the results have been good. I've managed to have around 60-70% possession every game with some good football being played, but there have been too many 1-0 scorelines. Ideally I want my lone striker to get the bulk of the scoring chances either from through balls or shots in the box. Problem is, we don't create enough chances for him.

When we do manage to play the forward into space, instead of running with the ball and trying to score from close range, he takes a shot from more than 25 yards out that always goes wide even though his long shots are set to "rarely."

I'd like advice on how to get more scoring opportunities for the striker in this formation. And how to get him to stop shooting from distance so much.

Formation/Team Instructions:

View attachment 295335

Striker Instructions:

View attachment 295336

Additionally, both my strikers have PPMs "likes to beat offside trap" and "rounds keeper one on one."

Thanks for the help!!

You could try out bringing in a target man forward who will hold up the ball and bring others in to play so he doesn't have to be the one who scores all the goals. Alternatively look at the personality of your forward. If he gets frustrated to easily this is probably a reason why he lashes out at the ball.

By the way what team and league are you playing in?

I feel like a target man doesn't fit with the style I'm trying to play. One of my strikers has a "fairly determined" personality and the other has "fairly ambitious."

I'm playing in the Norwegian Premier League.

Which one are you playing? The 'ambitious' one would be a problem in this style, if you are playing the fairly determined one though, look at his decisions, if it is low then that's another problem. If you can give me the stats of concentration for both players, thanks

The younger one is definitely better, but his decisions are low, which will increase over time. Maybe you should look into the possibility of bringing in a slightly more experienced player if you have the funds. That young player looks like a real gem for later years though

The younger one is definitely going to be a stud.

For now, is there anything I can do to offset the low decisions stat and stop them from shooting from distance?

Also any ideas with how to create more scoring opportunities in general with the formation?

Play the strikers as poachers? That way they will play higher up the pitch, looking to snap up chances.

For chance creation you have to allow more creative freedom and possibly roaming

I was playing them as poachers previously, just switched them to AF, but not seeing much difference.

Hmm, quite puzzling have you tried allowing more creative freedom?

Sometimes its not necessary the strikers fault, but its the quality of the service which aint good unless U want ur striker to act as Messi and dribble everyone and score. It indeed might be ur midfield players that are playing more cautiously as you want to retain the possession. Thats the trick in possession based tactics, you need to sacrifice possession to create chances. I'll give you sum tips below.

1) I'd like to see the PI's (Player Instructions) of the 3 Attacking midfielders.
2) You're also using slowest possible tempo, which basically means that you look to probe your way into scoring chances very slowly and you want to take ur time with it -> results into fewer chances. Try speeding up things?
3) You have More Disciplined Creative Freedom, which means your players wont take any risky passes (e.g. through balls, which might result in losing possession, but if pulled off perfectly, a goal or a great chance). Maybe give your creative players & striker more freedom?
4) Allowing your striker to roam might result in him getting to better channels, but it might also lead to him not being where you want him, being at the end of moves and scoring the chances. But you can always give it a try.
5) You want your team to be fluid, but then you want to restrict them by not giving the freedom to express themselves and not allowing to roam from position. I smell a conflict, do you?

Thanks to everyone for the help! Using the suggestions I tweaked some things with the tactic and now we're dominating possession AND creating CCCs!