Help with nation rules for Mexico (Promotion Playoff issue)

• Thread starter Thread starter matador31
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 8K

matador31

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I'm trying to create new nation rules for Mexico so it can look more like the European League/Cup system, but I'm currently having trouble with a particular promotion issue. I am trying to enable the Mexican Second Division (i.e. the third tier of Mexican football) and I am trying to make it so that only one team is promoted to the Mexican Promotion League.

The problem is that there are two sub-divisions within the Second Division, so I thought I could make the champion of each division play against each other in a playoff to see who ends up promoted to the Promotion League. However, I am not sure how to go about that. Does anybody have any ideas on how I could make this happen?

I've tried setting up a promotion playoff in the general Second Division section, with two teams disputing it and only one team getting promoted. When I do this however it gives me the following error: Number of teams in top playoff (1) from competition Mexican Second Division Group 1 should be divisible by number of sub-competitions (2). There aren't any sub-competitions under Mexican Second Division Group 1, nor is there a top playoff within this sub-division. I've only set-up playoff rules under the broader Mexican Second Division.

I will greatly appreciate any help. If it works out well, I'll share the end product with you guys.

Dont think you can make that happen ? Just like a championship playoff is not recognized by the game as the winner of the competition only who finished on top of the league

@prot651: Thank you for the reply. I do have another question. If the bit about the championship playoff is true, then how does one set up for a championship playoff like the one in Mexico, where the top 8 teams at the end of the season play for the championship in a cup style playoff. I know it's possible since the default game does it. Is it just impossible using the editor? Should that be a concern we raise to SI?

looking forward to it. I had a very successful save with Monterrey in fm11 and I'm looking to repeat it

Pretty sure that league in the game is hard coded. Maybe the Advance editor would do it but SI have stopped that as well .

I was working on something similar. Only I reworked the second and third divisions. Unfortunately you can't do it with the basic editorbut it did look possible with the advanced editor.

@prot651: Thank you for the reply. I do have another question. If the bit about the championship playoff is true, then how does one set up for a championship playoff like the one in Mexico, where the top 8 teams at the end of the season play for the championship in a cup style playoff. I know it's possible since the default game does it. Is it just impossible using the editor? Should that be a concern we raise to SI?

i created a championship playoff for san marino's top division. the nation rules have 1 division with 2 groups though so i'm not sure if this has anything to do with why it worked.

Hello Guys,

First of all, thank you very much for your input and your genuine concern to help out a fellow fan of the game :). I greatly appreciate that and I look forward to do the same for all of you in the future.

As far as my issue goes, I was able to work out a compromise of sorts (funny that I had to compromise with a machine :P), this is what I was able to accomplish:

1. Mexican First Division
a. 18 teams, European League style (two rounds, everyone plays everyone, home and away basis)
b. Top four teams qualify to NACL.
c. Bottom two relegated directly, 15th and 16th play relegation playoff with 3rd and 4th of Promotion League.

2. Mexican Promotion League
a. 16 teams, same format as Mexican First Division.
b. Top two teams promoted directly, 3rd and 4th play promotion playoff against 15th and 16th in First Division
c. Bottom two teams are relegated directly

3. Mexican Second Division (also known as Premier Promotion League)
a. 30 teams divided into two subdivisions (Group 1 and 2), same format as previous divisions.
b. Top team from each group is promoted (total of 2)
c. Bottom team from each group is relegated (total of 2)

4. Mexican Third Division
a. 204 teams divided into 16 groups (15 in real life, but had to change that due to conflict with promotion playoff), same format as previous divisions
b. Top two teams from each group qualify to a promotion playoff, one-game single elimination, neutral ground, only two teams promoted to Second Division.

I was also able to bring back the Copa México, which was Mexico's FA cup up until 1997 when it was discontinued, and the Campeón de Campeones, Mexico's Super Cup. The winner of the Copa México qualifies to the NACL, which makes things really interesting if you're managing a Bottom Division team :D.

I have hefty prize money for all competitions, down-scaled appropriately for each lower division (just to help out lower league teams who have successful campaigns. Nothing too exuberant though).

Nonetheless, my game crashed going into my third season :\. It was a huge bummer as you can imagine. Now I'm looking for answers to fix the file. Anyone want to take a look at it?

Thank you in advanced :). Cheers!

Last edited:
Upload the file I'll take a look at it.

Did you find a work around for the libertadores/NACL qualification or did you leave it as is?

@greenwing: Definitely, I'll have it right up for you :). As far as the continental qualification goes, I did want to work around that because left as it is, those who qualify to the NACL, also qualify for the Libertadores for the following year and frankly is just a big mess. I have no idea how to go about it however, so if you have any tips, I will gladly listen to your suggestions :).

Ran your file on vacation til sep 2015. No problems so far except mexico going out in the group stage in 2014. What I suspect looking at how you setup the 3rd division, is that not enough teams are pulled up for a subdivision on the season update day. It was a known bug that I thought was fixed last patch. You can try setting min/max 15 and reshuffling the teams to match the numbers. I also noticed you added contract rules in your new 3rd XVI, I wouldn't make any changes there instead make them in its parent division. also any reason you skipped the Second Division B/New Talents League?

As for the Lib/NACL I tried recreating it in the editor to qualify mexico 5-7 but its not possible with the basic editor. So I just made it so no mexican teams qualified for the Lib, quick edit with some problems I didn't bother fixing.

I'll upload the save file for you.

Thank you so much for your help! I greatly appreciate it :). I'm taking all of your suggestions into consideration. News about Mexico's World Cup performance are certainly a bummer. I will go ahead and set groups of 15 teams across the board. I'll pull up amateur teams if I need to. As far as the New Talents League goes, I did not include it because I misunderstood its purpose. I thought it was an isolated league for young players to develop, and I didn't find any interest in playing in that kind of league. Now that I know that it is actually the division below the Second Division Promotion League, I will be including it into the final product.

Thank you again for your great help. Please consider me if you ever need any help as well. I am currently working on logos and kits for the entire Mexican system, so if you're interested in that in addition to my file, let me know as well :).

One more question before I leave. How did you overwrite the qualification of Mexican teams to the Libertadores? I would like to be able to do that for my file, if it's not too much to ask.

Cheers my friend!

I will upload the final file whenever it is finished :)

The second division promotion and relegation rules are kind of odd. You can read about them here if you're curious. I was going to work on logo pack myself, I found this site which has updated logos but gave up when I realized it would take more than a simple mass convert.

About lib/nacl qualification. Once you created both just load them both when you start a new game. In fact why don't I save you some time and work out the issues with the edit for the Libertadores I have and upload it for you.

Oh, I see what you're saying. I thought you had edited the file in the resource archiver, but I see that you have actually gone ahead and added continental rules and worked both competitions from scratch. I would greatly appreciate the file sharing if you don't mind.

I've checked the rules for the second division and they are very complicated, in fact, I don't think they can be reproduced in the game (at least not with the basic official editor), since it involves eligibility rules and that delves into the financial situation of the clubs, which I don't think the editor offers consideration for, at least not when it comes to competition format. Unless you know something I don't ;), in which case I will gladly hear your suggestions.

Are you from Mexico, Greenwing?

Oh, I see what you're saying. I thought you had edited the file in the resource archiver, but I see that you have actually gone ahead and added continental rules and worked both competitions from scratch. I would greatly appreciate the file sharing if you don't mind.

I've checked the rules for the second division and they are very complicated, in fact, I don't think they can be reproduced in the game (at least not with the basic official editor), since it involves eligibility rules and that delves into the financial situation of the clubs, which I don't think the editor offers consideration for, at least not when it comes to competition format. Unless you know something I don't ;), in which case I will gladly hear your suggestions.

For now, I have left the Second Division B as a fourth tier, from which two teams are promoted to the Second Division Premier Promotion League. The Third Division has been bumped down to be a Fifth Tier. If you have any alternatives let me know.

Thank you again for all your help. Cheers!

P.S.: Are you from Mexico, Greenwing?

Indeed, I am from Mexico. The eligibility rules are editable in the squad rules section. The financial and promotion rules are impossible though. I wouldn't recreate them anyway since it makes for a very unfun game.

Back