Help with staff

• Thread starter Thread starter saulabbiss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 10K

saulabbiss

Reaction score
Hi i never really know how to go about building my backroom staff and i thought its about time i did.

what key attributes do i need to look for in the different staff roles, how many coaches and physios and scouts should i have?

And how should i use them to get the most out of the staff? also i often have a few scouts not doing anything and tend to just use one scout to compile scout reports on the players i am looking at what should i do with the scouts not currently being used???

You should download the Coach Calculator as it's quite handy when looking for good staff
FM Coach Calculator for FM2011 - Downloads - Football Manager 2012 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats
Input all the required attributes in the calculator to determine the best staff possible.

Coaches with 15+ Determination, Level of Discipline and Motivating are very good staff. Add that with whatever trait you're looking for in a coach (15+ Attacking attribute for an Attacking Coach, 15+ Tactic attribute for an Tactical Coach, etc.) and you're good to go.

For Scouts, 15+ Judging Player Ability and Judging Player Potential. For experts out there, are the Adaptability and Determination attributes vital in searching for a good scout?

You should download the Coach Calculator as it's quite handy when looking for good staff
FM Coach Calculator for FM2011 - Downloads - Football Manager 2012 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats
Input all the required attributes in the calculator to determine the best staff possible.

Coaches with 15+ Determination, Level of Discipline and Motivating are very good staff. Add that with whatever trait you're looking for in a coach (15+ Attacking attribute for an Attacking Coach, 15+ Tactic attribute for an Tactical Coach, etc.) and you're good to go.

For Scouts, 15+ Judging Player Ability and Judging Player Potential. For experts out there, are the Adaptability and Determination attributes vital in searching for a good scout?

ok cheers mate what do u do with ur spare scouts tho??

and how about creating a good youth coaching team?

Quality coaches can also coach the youth team - I never hire more than one youth coach in my saves as I rarely more.

I send scouts to to look for the U-18s in certain leagues, and (if I have no use for certain scouts) I mutually terminate scouts whose contracts are nearing their end.

Quality coaches can also coach the youth team - I never hire more than one youth coach in my saves as I rarely more.

I send scouts to to look for the U-18s in certain leagues, and (if I have no use for certain scouts) I mutually terminate scouts whose contracts are nearing their end.

ok cheers thats been a lot of help do you ever play lower league games?? like blue square league as need recomendations for staff members in that league as that is the game i am playing atm :)

Am currently playing as Swindon Town in League Two. :) Can't really recommend staff as it all depends on your max allowable staff wages - just do a staff search, filter out the stats you're looking for and you're set.

yeah ok im pretty tight with what im giving my players in term of wages so got quite a bit of wage budget left :p playing as woking just won promotion to BSP :)

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

hi has anyone else got any hints or tips??? trying to find, sign and bring through some young players

Obviously it depends on your limitations by the club but I always try to aspire to the below:-

You can filter down the searches depending on the availab

My Core Staff Roles are as follows:-
Assisant Manager:- Needs in this order Discipline, Motivation, Determination, Man Management, Judging Ability, Judgin Potential, Tactical Knowledge, and Adaptability is crucial if he can't speak the language.

Coaches:- Determination, Motivation & Discipline are the most vital atts, aside from the obvious for the section. I way I do it is I'd have coaches that can train at least 2 categories at 4 stars (individually) then I can combine their key skills(built up of Determination, Motivation & Discipline)

Scouts:- You need a minimum of 4 in my opinion, 1: Needs to be Adaptable and have high Tactical Knowledge and at 10 for Judging ability (I use him to scout Next Opponent and then the region where I am from eg. Europe (if you play in a european comp) or UK (if you only play domestic) 2: High atts in Adaptablity, Potential and Determination, I assign him to the world/or a region if you can't use world yet, with a cap on the age of U19s. 3 &4: Then i have to scouts that are highly adaptable and determined, as I use them to scout the areas my club is lacking knowledge in. This gives my club a wider knowledge of the world when it comes to manual searches and if they recommend me a player, I get my better scout on judging ability or potential to scout him for 3 games

Physios:- You need at least 2 in my opinion, atts that are important are, obviously Physiotherapy then Determination, Motivation & Discipline again and also 1 has been good at Man management and the other on Youth

Hope this helps, If you give me your restrictions, I'll give you a guideline of what set up to have for backroom staff??

Obviously it depends on your limitations by the club but I always try to aspire to the below:-

You can filter down the searches depending on the availab

My Core Staff Roles are as follows:-
Assisant Manager:- Needs in this order Discipline, Motivation, Determination, Man Management, Judging Ability, Judgin Potential, Tactical Knowledge, and Adaptability is crucial if he can't speak the language.

Coaches:- Determination, Motivation & Discipline are the most vital atts, aside from the obvious for the section. I way I do it is I'd have coaches that can train at least 2 categories at 4 stars (individually) then I can combine their key skills(built up of Determination, Motivation & Discipline)

Scouts:- You need a minimum of 4 in my opinion, 1: Needs to be Adaptable and have high Tactical Knowledge and at 10 for Judging ability (I use him to scout Next Opponent and then the region where I am from eg. Europe (if you play in a european comp) or UK (if you only play domestic) 2: High atts in Adaptablity, Potential and Determination, I assign him to the world/or a region if you can't use world yet, with a cap on the age of U19s. 3 &4: Then i have to scouts that are highly adaptable and determined, as I use them to scout the areas my club is lacking knowledge in. This gives my club a wider knowledge of the world when it comes to manual searches and if they recommend me a player, I get my better scout on judging ability or potential to scout him for 3 games

Physios:- You need at least 2 in my opinion, atts that are important are, obviously Physiotherapy then Determination, Motivation & Discipline again and also 1 has been good at Man management and the other on Youth

Hope this helps, If you give me your restrictions, I'll give you a guideline of what set up to have for backroom staff??

im in the BSP i can have 8 coaches 5 scouts and 1 physio would be nice to know what u would employ and i have a small wage budget atm i would also replace my assistant if u think there is someone decent for my league as he aint gr8

cheers saul

im in the BSP i can have 8 coaches 5 scouts and 1 physio would be nice to know what u would employ and i have a small wage budget atm i would also replace my assistant if u think there is someone decent for my league as he aint gr8

cheers saul

COACHES & ***. MAN

My set up would depend obviously on who and what is available, but, I would try concentrate mainly on Attacking, Defending and Tactics, these would be bigger waged coaches to ensure better training is those areas.

Until your allowed more coaches, I wouldn't bother with any First Team Coaches as it restricts the coaching to only the seniors, and probably not worth the investment, as you'll need to bring good youth through the ranks, to save money!! Just make sure you sign the coaches as "Coaches" not "First Team Coach". ---- As they are able of training both the Seniors and Youth.

So, I would probably have:-
1 Fitness Coach; 1 Keeper Coach; 5 Coaches (1 for each training category); and 1 Youth Coach.

If you can I would definately ask the Board to allow more coaches, and possibly sign another Coach, possibly a second fitness coach or keeper coach, to increase training potential on each category.

SEARCHING AND FILTERS

Firstly, I would filter my search to a minimum of 8-10 for Man Management; Working with Youngster; Detemination; Discipline; and Motivation.

Then look at coaching attributes and sort by each training category, I would want at least 10 for this training specialty.

Fitness Coaches only need Fitness Coaching
Keeper Coaches only need Goalkeepers
Tactics
need Tactics & desirable Attack Coachins & Defence Coaching (accept 8 or higher in both)
Ball Control
need Techincal Coaching & Mental Coahing
Defending needs Defence Coaching & Tactics (again accept 8 or above for this)
Attacking needs Attack Coaching & Tactics (again accept 8 or above for this)
finally Shooting needs Techinical Coaching & Attack Coaching (again accept 8 or above for this)

Then Youth Coach, change filter and look at Mental Attributes, and sort by Working with Youngsters and take the one withe the highest attributes in both Working with Youngster and Tactics

Finally ***. Man add to the filter both "Judging Potential"; "Judging Ability" ; & "Tactical Knowledge"
and reduce all criteria to 8 and really its just personal preference. For example: I like to think I'm tactically sound and dont need advice there, but I do need help on judging ability and potential, so they are the most important attributes for my ***. Man along with Motivation and Discipline (as I nearly always mess up the Team Talks, lol)

SCOUTS

Like I said important attributes are Judging Ability; Judging Potential; and Desirable attributes Determination; Adaptablity & Tactical Knowledge.

With your restrictions Adaptability probably isn't the most crucial as the higher the adaptability the easier he becomes accustomed with a new area/country.

Determination is key attribute when you want alot of results eg. Youth Scouts / Exploring Scouts

Tactical Knowledge
is great when yoy either want to use him for Scouting Opposition or if you want to know more about a players style of play, eg. PPMS, or to learn more about the players "Strengths and Weaknesses" on the pitch.

And obviously Judging abilities is vital when it comes to signing someone, is he good enough or will he be?

So my setup would be:-

2 Exploring Scout; 1 Opposition Scout; 1 Key Signings Scout & 1 Prospect Signings Scout

SEARCHING AND FILTERS

Again at least 10 for each attribute
I will put in Underline the most important attribute, this one should be the highest for the specific scout

Exploring Scouts:- Adaptability &Determination - (I would assign both to Youth searches, one U18s League and one to another country (assign to new country each time))

Opposition Scout:- Determination; Judging Ability; & Tactical Knowledge - (I would assign to your league (each year) aswell as Next Opposition)

Key Signing Scout:- Judging Ability - (I would mainly use him to scout players found by the other scouts who you are considering to sign for the First Team but maybe assign him to UK filter over 23)

Prospect Signing Scout:- Judging Potential - (I would mainly use him to scout players found by the other scouts who you are considering to sign as a prospect but maybe assign him to UK filter under 23)

Finally PHYSIO

SEARCHING AND FILTERS
Filters should be "Physio" as alot of Fitness Coaches ahve high Physiotherapy atts and dont want to be a physio.

Also a min of 8 for Man Management; Discipline; Working with Youngsters
And then sort by the highest Physiotheraphy attribute.

Hopefully that will do you right!! and give you some understanding of what to look for!! As you work up the leagues; you can start to get higher with the core attributes.

For me in the EPL, All my Coaches have 15+ in Motivation; Determination & Discipline and then 15+ for either Man Management or Working With Youngsters.
All my Scouts have 15+ in Judging Ability & Potential, Determination and Adaptability and then a couple have Tactical Knowledge.
Finally all my Physios have 15+ in Motivation, Determination, Discipline, Working with Youngsters, Man Management, & Physiotheraphy(obviously)

Last edited:
COACHES & ***. MAN

My set up would depend obviously on who and what is available, but, I would try concentrate mainly on Attacking, Defending and Tactics, these would be bigger waged coaches to ensure better training is those areas.

Until your allowed more coaches, I wouldn't bother with any First Team Coaches as it restricts the coaching to only the seniors, and probably not worth the investment, as you'll need to bring good youth through the ranks, to save money!! Just make sure you sign the coaches as "Coaches" not "First Team Coach". ---- As they are able of training both the Seniors and Youth.

So, I would probably have:-
1 Fitness Coach; 1 Keeper Coach; 5 Coaches (1 for each training category); and 1 Youth Coach.

If you can I would definately ask the Board to allow more coaches, and possibly sign another Coach, possibly a second fitness coach or keeper coach, to increase training potential on each category.

SEARCHING AND FILTERS

Firstly, I would filter my search to a minimum of 8-10 for Man Management; Working with Youngster; Detemination; Discipline; and Motivation.

Then look at coaching attributes and sort by each training category, I would want at least 10 for this training specialty.

Fitness Coaches only need Fitness Coaching
Keeper Coaches only need Goalkeepers
Tactics
need Tactics & desirable Attack Coachins & Defence Coaching (accept 8 or higher in both)
Ball Control
need Techincal Coaching & Mental Coahing
Defending needs Defence Coaching & Tactics (again accept 8 or above for this)
Attacking needs Attack Coaching & Tactics (again accept 8 or above for this)
finally Shooting needs Techinical Coaching & Attack Coaching (again accept 8 or above for this)

Then Youth Coach, change filter and look at Mental Attributes, and sort by Working with Youngsters and take the one withe the highest attributes in both Working with Youngster and Tactics

Finally ***. Man add to the filter both "Judging Potential"; "Judging Ability" ; & "Tactical Knowledge"
and reduce all criteria to 8 and really its just personal preference. For example: I like to think I'm tactically sound and dont need advice there, but I do need help on judging ability and potential, so they are the most important attributes for my ***. Man along with Motivation and Discipline (as I nearly always mess up the Team Talks, lol)

SCOUTS

Like I said important attributes are Judging Ability; Judging Potential; and Desirable attributes Determination; Adaptablity & Tactical Knowledge.

With your restrictions Adaptability probably isn't the most crucial as the higher the adaptability the easier he becomes accustomed with a new area/country.

Determination is key attribute when you want alot of results eg. Youth Scouts / Exploring Scouts

Tactical Knowledge
is great when yoy either want to use him for Scouting Opposition or if you want to know more about a players style of play, eg. PPMS, or to learn more about the players "Strengths and Weaknesses" on the pitch.

And obviously Judging abilities is vital when it comes to signing someone, is he good enough or will he be?

So my setup would be:-

2 Exploring Scout; 1 Opposition Scout; 1 Key Signings Scout & 1 Prospect Signings Scout

SEARCHING AND FILTERS

Again at least 10 for each attribute
I will put in Underline the most important attribute, this one should be the highest for the specific scout

Exploring Scouts:- Adaptability &Determination - (I would assign both to Youth searches, one U18s League and one to another country (assign to new country each time))

Opposition Scout:- Determination; Judging Ability; & Tactical Knowledge - (I would assign to your league (each year) aswell as Next Opposition)

Key Signing Scout:- Judging Ability - (I would mainly use him to scout players found by the other scouts who you are considering to sign for the First Team but maybe assign him to UK filter over 23)

Prospect Signing Scout:- Judging Potential - (I would mainly use him to scout players found by the other scouts who you are considering to sign as a prospect but maybe assign him to UK filter under 23)

Finally PHYSIO

SEARCHING AND FILTERS
Filters should be "Physio" as alot of Fitness Coaches ahve high Physiotherapy atts and dont want to be a physio.

Also a min of 8 for Man Management; Discipline; Working with Youngsters
And then sort by the highest Physiotheraphy attribute.

Hopefully that will do you right!! and give you some understanding of what to look for!! As you work up the leagues; you can start to get higher with the core attributes.

For me in the EPL, All my Coaches have 15+ in Motivation; Determination & Discipline and then 15+ for either Man Management or Working With Youngsters.
All my Scouts have 15+ in Judging Ability & Potential, Determination and Adaptability and then a couple have Tactical Knowledge.
Finally all my Physios have 15+ in Motivation, Determination, Discipline, Working with Youngsters, Man Management, & Physiotheraphy(obviously)

Thanks a lot mate this helped loads especially with the coaches that was exactly the sort of thing i was after cheers :)

No probs, I'm big on my backroom staff!!! And I nearly always get rid of all the staff when i start at any club!!

No probs, I'm big on my backroom staff!!! And I nearly always get rid of all the staff when i start at any club!!

haha u have been a great help i have sorted my backroom staff and with some good training schedules i am killing it atm players are improving key stats by 2 each season atm (younger first team players) :)

haha u have been a great help i have sorted my backroom staff and with some good training schedules i am killing it atm players are improving key stats by 2 each season atm (younger first team players) :)

Glad to help, not alot of people really concentrate on training and staff, but the newer FM's have been all about it. I love that aspect to it and thats why I start with a bigger team career, get to grips with it, see whats quicker to succeed etc. and then I start my challenge career, knowing what to look for!!

Also I'm currently creating some Training Schedules, so if you fancy giving them a go, aswell.

Glad to help, not alot of people really concentrate on training and staff, but the newer FM's have been all about it. I love that aspect to it and thats why I start with a bigger team career, get to grips with it, see whats quicker to succeed etc. and then I start my challenge career, knowing what to look for!!

Also I'm currently creating some Training Schedules, so if you fancy giving them a go, aswell.

yeah deffo send us a message when ur done i will try them out altho mine are doing well atm

I have used the fmtre editor and have swapped some better staff members with my current ones. However the new staff members can't be put to do the training even though they appear in the staff column.

Solution anyone?
thanks

Back