jamiebeattie

Reaction score

Hello everyone, for my first Football Manager story I have chosen potentially the hardest task possible, the Hexagon Challenge.

What is the Hexagon Challenge?

The aim of the Hexagon Challenge is to win each of the six continental Champions Leagues at least once, to add an extra challenge I will start unemployed with zero coaching badges.

Sounds tough, right? Well, on top of that, I will aim to win the World Cup and as many international tournaments as I can.

I hope you enjoy following the journey as much as I will playing it!

Last edited:
Hexagon Challenge: Part 1 - First Job Offer!

For my assault on the mountain that is the Hexagon Challenge, I have decided to upload the following leagues in game:

View attachment 43738

I have loaded New Zealand and Fiji because I aim to start the save in Oceania, the least reputable of all the Champions Leagues'. As gaining a job at a top New Zealand club is tough, I have decided it is wise to earn a reputation in a different league first, before moving on.

USA, South Africa, Australia and England were loaded as I am planning to move to those countries further down the line, thus I wish to keep them as realistic as possible.

First Job Offer

My first step into management in this save came at the hands of a National Team.

View attachment 43734

I applied for the South Korea U23s job and almost immediately they responded by offering me the role!

My first task was to qualify for the U23 Asia Nations Cup which takes place in the New Year, my qualifying group contained: Northern Mariana Islands, Malaysia and Indonesia, a group we should easily qualify from.

Tactics and Results

In FM18 I have flirted around with various formations including a 442 diamond, various 3 at the back formations but for this save I will be sticking with a good old fashioned 4231 with Inside Forwards.

View attachment 43730

As I do not currently have the South Korean league loaded, I had a shortage of players from which to pick my first squad, in my 22 man squad I had no fullbacks available to me so I was forced to play two central midfielders in that position instead, wheres James Milner when you need him!

View attachment 43727View attachment 43723View attachment 43726

The lack of full backs made no difference as we swept aside our qualifying group to reach our first tournament of the save, back to back 8-1 wins over Northern Mariana and Malaysia was followed with a comfortable, if not at times rocky, 4-2 victory against Indonesia. Leaving the group looking like this:

View attachment 43718

Despite having a small pool of players to choose from, the team played extremely well, the front 4 in particular were excellent and created a lot of chances for each other and it showed in the stats at the end of the qualifying tournament:

View attachment 43716

Even the makeshift left back chipped in with 7 assists!

I apologise for the long winded opening post but there was a lot of information to be put across, I will be back later with the results of the U23 Asia Nations Cup!

P.S. If anyone has any South Korean gems they know to look out for under the age of 23, I would be grateful to know, Thank you for reading :)

Last edited:
Hexagon Challenge: Part 2 - U23 Asia Nations Cup

Friendly Match

I had just one friendly in between qualifying and the main tournament itself, a game in Abu Dhabi against the U.A.E., a game in which we ran out comfortable victors by 3 goals to 1, having created lots of chances which gave me cause for optimism ahead of my debut tournament.

View attachment 43688

U23 Asia Nations Cup Draw

The groups for the U23 Asian Cup were drawn in November and we were handed a tough draw, coming up against Iran, Iraq and the U.A.E., who we'd beaten just days before the draw itself.

The tournament was held in China and Japan were the reigning champions having defeated South Korea in the 2016 final.

View attachment 43687

Tournament Squad

As the deadline for squad submission fell just days before the South Korean league was loaded onto the database, I was forced to submit roughly the same squad that had qualified for the tournament itself. Still haven't seen James Milner anywhere.

View attachment 43686

Group Stage

We kicked off the group with an undeserved win against Iran, the stats show they were the better team and this was true for the large majority of the game, a second-half hat-trick from Hwang Hee-Chang saved us from an opening game defeat.

View attachment 43685

A crucial game against Iraq was up next and a defeat would have left qualification in the balance. The Iraqi's took the lead inside 5 minutes and I thought it just wasn't going to be our game, but a stirring fight back, coupled with some excellent football at times, meant we had qualified for the Last 8 with a game to spare.

View attachment 43684

Two goals in the first six minutes sent us on the way to the Last 8 and a date with Qatar, a completely dominant performance from start to finish resulted in a bigger scoreline than when we last met just two months ago.

View attachment 43683

Quarter Final

A goal inside two minutes from Hwang Hee-Chan looked to put us on our way to an easy passage to the Semi-Final, but a straight red card from Lee Jung-Bin on the quarter-hour mark left the tie in jeopardy. However, it didn't seem to affect the team too much as we went 3-0 up at half time. Al-Mal pulled one back for Qatar as they started to pile pressure but Hee-Chan ended all hopes of a comeback with a 4th in injury time.

View attachment 43680

Semi Final

The latest instalment of the North/South Korea rivalry came in the shape of an U23s semi final, and it was the South that gained the upper hand. A sensational first half had South Korea going in 4-0 up at the break, two late North Korean goals were little to prevent South Korea reaching their second straight final.

View attachment 43679

Final

Unfortunately, it was not meant to be as Australia came out 3-1 winners over an error-strewn South Korea side, two quick goals from Deni Juric put the Aussies 2-0 up before Kim Geon-Weong pulled one back on the stroke of half time. Isaac Bavcar ended hopes 5 minutes into the second half and left South Korea with consecutive defeats in the final.

View attachment 43674

Tournament Stats

View attachment 43668View attachment 43666

As we can see, Hwang Hee-Chang was comfortably our best player, with 12 goal contributions in just 6 games, and was a pivotal part in reaching the final.

Well it just wasn't meant to be unfortunately, we had scored for fun throughout the competition but mistakes in the final cost us a chance for early silverware, I will be staying on as South Korea u23s manager as I would like to guide them into the Olympic Games in Tokyo in 2020.

I hope you have enjoyed the first stages of my Hexagon Challenge, I will be updating tomorrow with news of my first club job!

Last edited:
Great job so far, unlucky with the loss in the final! Considering you didn't have the database loaded, and James Milner refused to turn up, getting to the final was a great achievement!

Great job so far, unlucky with the loss in the final! Considering you didn't have the database loaded, and James Milner refused to turn up, getting to the final was a great achievement!

Thank you! I wasn't expecting to reach a final so early into the save but gutting to lose it nonetheless. I guess he was busy doing Ribena adverts to answer my calls!

Hexagon Challenge: Part 3 - First Club Job; Pre-Season and Transfers

First Club Info

Ba FC of Fiji were the first club side to offer me the top job, I had originally applied in October but they appointed a caretaker manager to oversee the rest of the 2017 season.

View attachment 43478

I take charge with the club having the highest reputation of all Fijian clubs but were trophy-less in 2017, however a 2nd place finish was enough to secure Champions League qualification for the 2018 season.

Here below is a brief overview of the club which includes club reputation, facilities, trophies won etc.:

View attachment 43477View attachment 43475View attachment 43476

Season Preview

We went into the season with the odds placing us 2nd favourites to win the league behind Suva.

View attachment 43474

However, the board have placed the expectation that I should win the league on me, as well as reach the finals of two of the three domestic cups, no pressure then!

View attachment 43473

Transfers

The natural reaction to being made 2nd favourites? Sign 8 of their players, obviously.
With there being no money being made available to me on transfers and only being allowed to sign players that are Fijian, I had to deal in just the Fijian league and as a result ended up signing 8 players from the same team!

View attachment 43472

There was only a 15 day window to sign players so a lot of signings were rushed but overall I am pleased with the deals I have made.

Squad and key players

The Ba FC squad has a lot of players with promise but there are areas of concern in regards to depth that will need to be ironed out over time.

Manasa Rounds and Samuela Lotu look to be our main men, with both having high potential for the future.

View attachment 43471View attachment 43470View attachment 43469

Pre Season Results

Overall a very solid pre-season for Ba, the 1-4 defeat to Suva to only blot on an otherwise impressive run.

View attachment 43468

Tomorrow I will be back with how we did in the opening stages of the league and Champions League.

Hexagon Challenge: Part 4 - New Manager Bounce

Having been given the objective of winning the league title first time, and off the back of a very good pre-season, there was pressure on me to get off to a good start in Fiji.

Opening Day

If ever there was a game to sum up Football Manager, this was it. We had gone 1-0 down after just 4 minutes before
equalising through an unfortunate own goal from Dickson. Ba then were awarded a penalty in the 1st minute of stoppage time which was converted before Nadi snatched a point with just seconds left through Vonolagi.

View attachment 43301

Champions League Group Stage

My first step into the Champions League and I was handed a very winnable group, containing Horizon Sport, Solomon Warriors and Ifira BB, we had avoided the New Zealand boys and looked well placed to progress to the Quarter Finals.

View attachment 43300

Overall it was a comfortable group stage but a shock defeat to Ifira BB meant we only qualified on goal difference.

Winning Streak

The setback of losing to Ifira BB inspired to team to go on 7 match winning streak, including 6 wins in a row in the league.

View attachment 43299

It was at this point I thought that we were going to win the league quite comfortably, we were top of the league by 4 points at this stage and seemed to be unbeatable.

View attachment 43296

Champions League Quarter Final

The Last 8 of the Champions League pitted us against AS Dragon of Tahiti, and we were drawn as the home side.

View attachment 43292

A tight game was 0-0 at half time, however Ba gained control of the tie and deservedly went ahead around the hour mark, two quick-fire goals around 5 minutes from time all but sealed a Semi-Final spot before Dragon pulled one back not long before time.

Champions League Semi Final

The Champions League Semi-Final had paired us with the best team in the continent, Auckland City. I went into this tie with no hope of causing an upset and the results confirmed my pessimism. Auckland had ran riot in the tie and had they not gone down to 10 men in the 2nd leg they would have had even more.

View attachment 43291View attachment 43290

It confirms my hunch that I will need to move to a New Zealand club to win the Champions League, as Team Wellington went on to beat Auckland in the final.

Overall it has been a positive start to the save but going on to win the League title is a must, as well as winning a cup competition down the line.​