RyanGooding29

Reaction score

As the roles show, it is quite an attacking tactic, with all 4 of the attacking players set to attack. I use this tactic home/away against teams we should beat (in my opinion - I ignore the pre-match odds). The 532 I use in games where the odds are against us regardless of at home or not - I will talk about the 532 further down!

I wanted a tactic where my teams would "play football" but not one that was solely a possession tactic, although more often than not we do average between 55-60% possession, in the complete season I used this combo of tactics with Chelsea we topped the average possession stats.

The key things to note from the instructions are that the aim is to play high tempo game. I have found a lot of success on FM18 with attacking through the middle, and this makes sense playing with inside forwards on the wings as they will tend to play narrower than your average wingers.

In an attempt to press the opponents I play with a high line and get the team to play the offside trap. We close down much more and get stuck in - If we have accumulated a lot of bookings I will tend to take off the "Get Stuck In" instruction.

As I have a player instruction set on the goalkeeper to distribute to the center backs, I have play out of defence to accompany this.

We pass it shorter and look for the wingbacks to overlap the inside forwards.

I do not tend to use opposition instructions but if I do I set it to auto for the assistant to deal with - this is the same for the 532 also.

Below are some results I have got with the 4231:

Instead of talking about the similarities between the 532 and the 4231 I will instead tell you what the differences are.

We'll start with the obvious... the formation.

Seeing as I use this tactic in games that I feel we have little chance of winning, I decided to have 5 defenders and 3 midfielders to be able to make it hard for the opponents to dominate us.

You will also notice that we are not playing out from the back and are resorting to more direct football, however from what I've seen so far there has still been a lot more short passing moves.

I also removed the instruction for the keeper to play it out to the CBs.

Below are some results I have got with the 532:

During pre-season I usually use Team Cohesion and Match Tactics, if it is my first season I will usually leave Match Tactics until it is around 90% familiar on the training screen.

Once the season starts, or the team are familiar with the tactic, I usually leave it on Teamwork for the whole season.

Results of using the combination of the tactics:

View attachment 76402View attachment 76401

View attachment 76400

Download Below