Holding on to leads proving very very hard. Anyone else having this problem?

LowestLeague

Reaction score
I'm about 2 1/2 seasons into my first save on FM15. Loving the game so far, haven't played since 13 so it's quite different!

Anyway, onto a big problem I've noticed - not sure if it's just my team or what but I'm finding holding on to leads incredibly hard.

Just played a game where I was 4-1 up at 65 minutes..The match ended 4-4 and they could easily have won it in extra time but my 'keeper pulled of a great save.

Now, I've tried a whole lot of different things
- I've tried playing more defensively (obviously)
- Tried setting "control" mentality and retain possession
- Tried Harder tackling / tighter marking
- Leaving everything the same

And a host more things including formation tweaks, subs at various times... Yet still, game after game I could be 3-0, 4-2, 5-1 or anything and somehow, the opposing team will become world beaters and claw their way back..

To give you an idea of the extent of the problem - In 2 1/2 season - I've only ever won a game by more than 1 goal ONCE.. ONE GAME where I have had +2 goals..

SO my question is, how the **** do you hold on to a lead? I've tried so many different techniques.. Nothing is working at all, I'm so sick of being 100% in control of a game, dominating all stats and then out of nowhere all opponents become Ronaldo and it's either a very hard fought win, a draw, or a loss..

I go more defensive, in formation and mentality.

I've tried that, told the players to concentrate, switched to defensive.. Doesn't seem to stop the late conceding of goals.. I'm really not sure what to do at this point. I don't mind not winning in this game as I know I'm not great - but the manner in which I'm dropping all of these points is really frustrating

Just switching to Defensive won't necessarily keep out goals. What else did you do, apart from the mentality change?

I've noticed that on the occasions this has happened to me that the players have started to become nervous and that's leading them to make mistakes. Changing tactics to reduce that may help, but becoming too defensive actually makes it worse. The best solution I came up with was to move to a counter tactic - it stops the players becoming too defensive.

WJ - I usually do a pitch side Team talk as soon as we score, normally 'Concenctrate'.. I normally leave the formation as is, but some times I'll take off a striker and bring in a DM or even another DC..

Saying this though- as if by magic I've just won a game 3-1!

I'll try a more counter approach to see how it helps

I tend to switch to counter attack around 70 mins if I'm 2 up. More than that switch to control. Works for me

Are your players strong mentally? If you have a weak captain, and generally players with low determination and concentration that might effect results.

It all depends on what stage of the game it is. For me, if you are trying to protect a lead late, i go with (generally) defensive mentality, much lower tempo, waste time, retain possesion & assertively tell my team to concentrate.

But as has been said it will depend on your teams mental stats etc. There are so many variables you need to consider. If there was a fool proof way to do it than we'd all do it & no one would concede, ever!

Figuring out what works for your team is half the fun (& almost all the frustration) ;)

Never, ever, ever, under any circumstances, use the "I'm very pleased with your performance" pep talk at half time. Even if you are winning 4-0. Saying this pep talk is a guarantee that everyone becomes complacent and doesn't really serve any purpose.

Never, ever, ever, under any circumstances, use the "I'm very pleased with your performance" pep talk at half time. Even if you are winning 4-0. Saying this pep talk is a guarantee that everyone becomes complacent and doesn't really serve any purpose.
No it doesn't.

I don't like to switch to defensive, unless I am a really major underdog. Usually use counter. Sometimes drop deep, long passing, waste time.

One advice is don't go over defensive formation wise, make sure you still use a formation your team is familiar with.
Don't just throw in extra CBs and DMs instead of strikers and end up with a weird unfamiliar formation that your team don't know - it just creates a mess.

You can change the formation, but in subtle ways that will help them be organized. For example:
1. Sacrificing AMs for CMs or DMs (going from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3)
2. Changing wingers into wide midfielders (RW to RM, for example).
3. Changing CMs to DMs (going from 1DM+2CM to 2DM+1CM).
Stuff like that.

Ideally, have the team train the 'holding lead' formation, or at least make it as similar as possible to the real formation. Make sure the formation familiarity bar isn't too low.

Also, change player roles:
Change all full backs to defensive (usually they're on automatic)
Change attacking players such as wingers to support, maybe change them to defensive wingers.
etc...

I believe it has to do mostly with your players determination. The way I see it, they need to be determined to be victorius, even if the enemy team is fighting back very hard. But, unless you have the enemy team pinned down the whole game and they have 0 shots, you MUST make tactical changes. What I do is switch from attacking to control at 70min (or when I realize they start to push) and then at 80-85min to contain with "waste time". The usual formation change is to sub the amc with a second dmc in a purely defensive role.

I tend to switch to control with the 'play out of defence' option unchecked, and the 'much lower tempo' option checked from around 75 minutes onwards.

Back