Holloway makes attacking pledge

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 762

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Blackpool manager Ian Holloway will stick to an attacking approach in future after a more defensive system backfired as his team lost 4-0 at Chelsea.

More...

Good. Glad he is sticking to his guns, they have had an exceptional start, excluding two heavy defeats to Chelsea and Arsenal of all sides.

Well they need to play to their strengths they are a good attacking team, but not good enough defece for epl.

Look, football is about entertaining as well as winning. Blackpool are one of the teams I'd gladly fork over cash to watch over teams like Blackburn and Bolton. But really Ollie's got nothing to apologise for he's doing a fantastic job and even after being thrashed by Arsenal atching the game yesterday - which i think was a little harsh because they were down to 10 for an hour, they bounced back with a couple of really good performances. Players play for him and its pretty clear he's got the best interest of the club and his players in mind. And it's not like they disgraced themselves yesterday. Far better teams will be hammered by Chelsea this season. They actually at least threatend to score.

they will pick up points against the lesser teams im sure but they will also get a few spankings from the bigger sides. Will be a good team to watch this season.

think they may be doing a Burnely.l Starting strong but will slowly die away at the end of the season and struggle to survive.

think they may be doing a Burnely.l Starting strong but will slowly die away at the end of the season and struggle to survive.

I think that is an unfair statement. Burnley took a whole season to win their first away game, personally had Coyle stayed I think they might have stayed up but they gave the reins to Brian Laws and that was a big failure. Blackpool have 2 away wins under their belt already and I expect them to finish at least mid table.

Good on Holloway, should always stick to your principles. I've always thought you get more out of football if you play positively rather than defend for 90 minutes. Not only will they entertain their own fans, but they will pick up a few followers on the way. This is their first time in the Premier League? If they go down so be it, atleast they've given it a right crack and enjoyed themselves whilst they are there. Nobody likes teams that play boring, physical football. Fair enough if it's playing to their strengths but generally these teams are not liked (Wolves, Blackburn).

I think that is an unfair statement. Burnley took a whole season to win their first away game, personally had Coyle stayed I think they might have stayed up but they gave the reins to Brian Laws and that was a big failure. Blackpool have 2 away wins under their belt already and I expect them to finish at least mid table.

sorry it just has the aura that Burnely had. Yes they have won a couple games away from home but it was Burnely's home form that kept them out of the relegation zone. when that went and when Laws arrived they were screwed. I'm not saying they will defiently get relegated as yes that would be unfair but I think they face a real struggle to survive and really can't see them getting mid table. They don't have the quality and strength in depth imo. Another example is Hull

From the 3-4 games I've seen of Blackpool I don't think it's a charade. Every game they create quality chances-sure they ride their luck defensively but IF you can create opportunities they have a shot in every game. It's not like they're parking the bus looking for a point - they go for the throat every game. the only issue is their reliance on Charlie Adam if he goes down for any period of time then where does the driving force in midfield come from (he's basically Cesc for them)? And they've opened up some of the better defensive teams but not quite had the clinical finishing but most importantly they haven't had any problems scoring on teams mediocre to poor defensively.

It's nice to read this thread, people don't understand what it's like to go to places like Chesterfield away (Before they got their nice new swanky stadia) and get hammered. Not a nice feeling.

Now we went to Chelsea, we got mauled and have come away with some credibility. It's superb.

Back