Nebularlagoon

Reaction score
Hi,

I like the idea of experimenting with a moneyball style save but don't want to waste my time if isn't achievable because of the games mechanics.

I am not so fussed about the selling aspect of moneyball but more so the buying aspect. I would like to think that I could assemble a team of undervalued and overlooked players but for relatively cheap. There are plenty of teams out there in real life who operate using this philosophy.

It may be that I find players who have generally low attributes overall but some good numbers in some key areas associated with their position.

I see this working well all of the time in real life, as teams across the country strive to unearth a hidden gem or a player with untapped potential. However, real life varies from the game as it isn’t restricted by previously determined data for that years issue.

Based on your experience, do you think this is achievable?

yep. Completely achievable.

I read up on the Moneyball concept recently, and worked out it was how I'd played FM for years!

TRUE Moneyball is not something you can do in FM. Because true Moneyball wasn't just about finding value. It was about looking past traditional subjective scouting norms and limited statistics to find more meaningful advanced metrics that actually looked at the game in a different way, then using those to change the idea about how a baseball team can be successful. You can't do that in Football Manager because the game doesn't allow you find new ways to measure - all the stats you are provided with are normal standard football statistics.

You absolutely can find players who are undervalued for some reason - whether its because they are limited players (which is what the Athletics often sought) or play for a small club or can be moved to a different position. Then you turn around and sell those players in 2 or 3 seasons for sign cant profit. Absolutely doable. And multiple ways to do it, depending on where you are (and therefore what purchasing options you have), resources, etc. Labelling it Moneyball isn't really accurate, much like having a Very Fluid tactic where everyone attacks and defends and calling it "Total Football" is rather misleading, because Total Football was about much more than that. Its more of just operating as a profitable selling club.

In a recent save in Russia, I spent under 2m to bring in 4 players who were 18-19 years old at the start. Two Portuguese players (a midfielder and a winger) and two Serbians (striker, winger). One was signed for compensation and the other three were just bargains - all real players bought right near the start of the save. After two seasons, three of those were sold for 40m-plus apiece. In other saves, in Mexico and my current one in Brazil, I have had less money to throw around so targeted South American players, particularly ones from the lesser nations and always looking for those on amateur contracts (will sign for free, no compensation). American players too - they are always on amateur contracts until they join an MLS team. Mostly targeting newgens and scouting right after their are generated, even if you can't sign them for awhile and might take 2-3 years before they can join.

There are multiple approaches to scouting for the talent. Some guides can be found. A big key will be accepting that you are going to lose players, but always try to have someone in the pipe to replace them. That can be hard to balance because the player being targeted by other clubs might be one you don't really want to lose. And the prospect behind them might not be ready, or they need matches to develop but you don't have room yet. Its tough to time everything right, when the selling aspect isn't really in your control.