How can I beat FC Barcelona in the CL campagin???

• Thread starter Thread starter vandamme84
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 10K

vandamme84

Reaction score
hello guys,

I play with Paris SG and have to face once again fc barcelona in the champions league (round of 16). Yes, I know like in the real world they are the best team and playing incredible, but I need some basic advices to win over two legs against them.

Its my fourth season, and they won 2 times the cl and was 1 time runner-up. So its a huge challenge :)

my formation: 4-2-3-1, mentality. fluid, slow tempo, short passing, dl high, wide play. hard tackling, more creative playing.

thx for help!

Well, i fail all the time agains't them ;P.

But, i do like the way you have set up. The formation is good, but i suggest playing a little more direct and perhaps Rigid. I tend to have more success when i play Rigid, because if my team plays Fluid, with a short passing game, they tend to lose the ball too much since Barca will press so much.

Perhaps you should play the way you are now at home, but change it up at Barcelona, and just try and get them on the counter.

If you play home first, and manage to win the leg. Dont play the away leg on the counter, Defend the whole thing.
This might not work, but its worth a shot.

using a 4-2-3-1, play a defensive/counter attacking minded game.

u wanna close the midfielder masters xavi, cesc, inesta so that they dont get time on the ball.

Have your wide players man mark the full backs, which should force Valdes to boot the ball up, leaving their midfield to battle in the air.

If you have a player that is involved a lot defensively (like one of your MC's) and they get a yellow, be careful about keeping them on the pitch, because if you go down to 10 men, your probably going to lose!.

play wide and high closing down on the central midfeild play with wingers cuttin inside and full backs overlapping , kill them at there own game

thx for the respones!

to sum up the recommendations: one way is to play a rigid, stand-off more, counter-attack playing style the other way is to play with pressing and a style like barca would play naturally. which will be the better solution?

Once again my formation:

adler (GK defend)
rafael,samba, sakho, baines (2 DWB automatic, 2 DC stopper and cover both defend)
bender (ball-winning mc defend), fellaini (DLPM support)
tevez or affelay (Winger attack), pastore (APM attack), hazard (IF attack)
doumbia (AF attack)

The first leg will be away. If I play a agressiv pressing game, wouldnt they play me off with a direct passing game?

I would suggest having Fellaini as either Ball winning midfielder or B2B. And dont play agressive pressing, you will probably get destroyed.

get the bender and fellaini to press and hassle barcas 3 midfeilders so they cant pass effectively, use there phsyical attribute to your advantage...have your left winger cut in side so barcas full back will follow him inside , get your left full back to overlap and wip crosses in to doumbia

Easy as it is; I never lost or draw against them :)
Point to remember: you need only 1-3 players to build the attack... so other 9 = Defend and get the ball to other 3 :D

Pack your defense and then get the ball, attack fast. and you need to take those opportunities. It comes as CCC so it depends on your forward quality. (see my formation at the end; I have my ST as one of the most quality striker)

But since your squad is based on slow tempo, I'm not sure whether it will work my way or not. But this is what I do. (and what I build my squad on)

Your formation is fine.
Put Fellaini as BWM (defensive); put another as some defensive role (you decide to match his character, I never plays Bender)

PUT on your winger as SUPPORT... or change their duty into more supporter role (you decide to match your squad)
PUT your defender as "defend" duty "Full back" and set their marking to man mark and mark their AML and AMR.

and use DEEPEST defensive line. or very deep!! Let them hold the ball, you just use the counter attack

Set mentality to be "counter attack"
Counter attack ticks YES.

Opposition instruction

Hard tackles, tight marking, closing down on their stars. (I put it to both their AMR, AML)

(I think, from my experience, they will use A.Sanchez as their ST). Be careful, he is so good. The formation might put Villa in ST, but as the game progresses, A. Sanchez will be ST. So tight marking, and HARD tackle him too.)

A. Sanchez is your biggest problem.

My players are
Ter Stegen
Defender:K. Walker, Shawcross, Savic, Bassong
Flat Central Midfield (not DM): Barkley, Fellaini, Ayew
AMR, AML: Paloschi, Bale
ST: Cavani

so I just defend; wait to get the ball; pass to bale, hit and run; build the attack and scores.

Last edited:
If your home, you'll want to aim to keep the ball so i'd say keep what you currently use and give that a shot.

When away, Barcelona are really hard but I managed to overcome it by giving them less time on the ball and then giving myself more time on the ball by pressing more and retaining possession more often

You need wingers, It doesn't hurt to have them with decent defensive stats so they can assist in taking on the attacking full backs. The wingers can be dealt with by full backs, try to outnumber in the centre of the play which will stop them passing around too much. Its really that simple,

Schedule a downpour....do some kind of rain dance......I've found that Barca is useless in the heavy rains of a Feburary-March matchup. Like most people I lose 75 - 80% of matches against them, but they just came into Old Trafford in a CL Quarterfinal matchup, and the conditions were terrible, and it just destroys their precision passing game. Beat them 6 - 1.

(Then in the return matchup, of course, the game engine contrives a 4 - 0 win for Barca, where they had 10 chances to go level in final five minutes, just to make me have a near heart attack.)

But other than that, they basically tear me up no matter what I try. I tend to think some kind of 4-1-2-1-2, or 4-3-1-2, with the fullbacks staying very tight and defensive, has been my best bet over the years.

Beat them 4-3 on aggregate to get to the CL Final. I'm with Arsenal in our first season and few players in my team could bear a candle to their technicality. If you're not very confident with my marginal win then bear in mind that I had key players out with my front five consisting of Song, Arteta, Wilshere, Willian, RVP and Chamakh. I had to draft in Wilshere whose attributes were quite unrefined since coming back from injury recently as well as Chamakh who I can't seem to get the best out of (5 goals in 25 games) and he was my frontman who was supposed to bag the goals! I'm sure if Gervinho or Walcott weren't injured RVP would have been more reliable up front!
  • I just packed the midfield with 4-2-3-1. Threw in as many technical players (Arteta, Wilshere and RVP) as I could along with Alex Song into the mix as a BWM (VITAL) to initiate quick attacks.
  • Then I simply played Barce at their own game by attacking, pressing and employing short passing albeit with a fast tempo (and wider width at home).
  • Suicide you might add? But add 'pass to feet' to the touchline instructions and suddenly your inferior passing becomes vastly more precise. Remember this because if your team is considerably poorer, both, technically and mentally you won't be able to play them at their own game without the 'pass to feet' instruction!
Just my two cents, though. This may only work for me because I know this tactic inside and out, plus I'm no FM Genie so I'm sure there are better posts as to how to tackle Barce! Only posting my thoughts because I just beat Barce today so the match is still fresh in my mind!

View attachment 214592View attachment 214593

Back