How can I get my club out of debt?So I'm in my 3rd season as manager of Truro City, w

Liam Docherty

Reaction score
So I'm in my 3rd season as manager of Truro City, which I helped get from the Blue South Square up to League Two in two consecutive seasons. I was pretty proud at that.

You can see below that my management of funds has been terrible, my squad is also pretty weak

Here's my finances screen in the spoilers because of the size:

View attachment 227285

If you need any more info, let me know.

Thanks!

Best thing to do is try and play big teams at THIER stadium in friendlies, they give you money, have your transfer budget/wage budget slider set all the way to the left (all in wages it gathers interest there for some reason) try to off load any players you dont need, remember you dont really get anything for your reserves winning anything, so if you can cut wages by having no reserve team do that! i.e. opt out of the league and release the reserves(or stay in the league and release them, your u18's will play as your reserves) any staff you dont need get rid of. Obviously try and win games, gets more fans etc. but (and I have this problem when I manage in the lower leagues) put out your best team in the cups, ok you have no chance of winning it, but a good cup run gets good money, TV, Gate receipts, sponsorship etc. Finally any of your first team players that are older (Lets say 33+) renegotiate their contract as some may take pay cuts, but only if you avoid the dreaded agent fees when renegotiating, if not then its not really worth it.

Hope that helps my man...

Just had a quick look and I've seen a few obvious things.

Player & Staff Wages + Bonuses = £574,578

Have a look at your players contracts and see if they can justify what they are earning, If not, sell. And pay attention to the bonuses as you paid out £105,000 last season. Be clever with contracts, it's often the bonuses that send a club unknowingly into debt.

As the board to cut back on youth recruitment as you are spending £395,322 last season on your youth setup.

Ignore buying players in and get the value out of your youngsters.

Your only consistent source of income is Gate receipts and season tickets: £927,625.
Immediate take away your wages (£574,578) and your left with £353,047 before tax.

Considering your match day expenses (£142,022) and maintenance costs (£208,748) combine at £350,770, that's leaving you with £2,277 per year for transfers and agent fees ect. before going into negative yearly earnings.

The one area you have control over is wages, so get cracking on reducing the wage budget. Start with your staff. It's not hard to replace current coaches with people for less.

Wow thanks for the great reply, I never really paid attention to contract bonuses. Sadly I JUST resigned every player (they were all on a yearly basis contract, as my club was semi-professional at that point)

How long would I need to wait before trying again?

Should I post my squad screen? I don't mind selling off my big players, but I always get non negotiable offers where the money is spread over 18 months... which obviously isn't very helpful!

Back