How can I help my team attack with more players ?

kolas79

Reaction score
Good day to you all!!
I would like to hear your opinion on the issue I seem to have with a tactic which I have just created. I want to play a 4-1-2-2-1 formation with four at the back , one half back with defend duty , one box to box midfielder , one DLP with support duty , two wingers (with support duties) and a false nine as my only forward.
Although I have given my box to box the instruction to go forward when we are in attack it seems that my striker is not getting a lot of help and it is not so easy to score goals. Most of the time has to face two or three opponents who easily block my attacks. How can I make my team attack with more players without being vulnerable when my opponent has the ball?
If I change my tactic into a 4-2-3-1 how can I ensure that my midfield will remain strong and help the defense to counter my opponent’s attacks?
Any help would be much appreciated!!

Post the full tactic. The only thing that stands out so far is that a False 9 doesn't hold up the ball, so your players don't get a chance to catch up.

Post the full tactic. The only thing that stands out so far is that a False 9 doesn't hold up the ball, so your players don't get a chance to catch up.

I will do that I as soon as I return home. Thank you a lot for the concern !

One more thought that I just had is to remove the half back and play with one roaming playmaker. One ball winning midfielder and one shadow striker. As for my forward he would play as a complete striker. I could use this formation in games with equal or smaller teams. In game with bigger team (or when I want to hold on a result) I could use a roaming playmaker and a defensive midfielder (situated both in front of my two center backs). The combination of SS and CF will remain the same…

Here is a screenshot of my formation. Seeing it again I saw that many of my players have as an instruction to stay in their position and maybe this is the problem. Anyway here it is.
View attachment 90372

Feel free to suggest me anything !

You "want" to attack, but then you have 6 Defend Duties out of 10 outfielders. Defend duties who will stay in position, behind play. Also, the forward who will not hold up the ball for others to catch up.

You "want" to attack, but then you have 6 Defend Duties out of 10 outfielders. Defend duties who will stay in position, behind play. Also, the forward who will not hold up the ball for others to catch up.

You are totally right my friend. I changed my wing backs from defensive to support and that helped me a lot. I also gave my defensive midfielder the roaming play maker role and I have turned the DLP in my midfielder into a central midfielder with defensive duty.

Thanks for the advice !

Lets see how this will go.

Hm you are playing shorter passes higher tempo and wide players in Winger positions and yet your striker is a F9 player, the Wingers on support should be paired with attacking duty Fulback FB on attack would suit him best, the forward should be attacking role to make more impact on game from further up the pitch, consider changing to AF, AF will spread the line and force them behind and enable your players to try and make few passes while they wait for a run from wide players...