How do you approach a squad clear-out?

• Thread starter Thread starter MiloKA
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 3K

MiloKA

Reaction score
When starting a save with a team with quite a low budget it is often necessary to clean out a fair few of the players to free up room on the wage bill and also for some extra spending money. I need to clear out some deadwood players who no one else wants. If i give them free transfers i have to pay them quite large sums of compensation which is something that i really can't afford to be doing. Whats your approach to a squad clear-out?

offer out teh deadwood for their value, and try and get decent money for the good players on high wages and then look at signing players on lower wages then those i got rid of. also if there's players that are good but on only slightly high wages i try to get them to take a small wage cut in return for a longer contract/ higher signing on fee.

with a low budget, means you need to be smart, First get an idea of your first 11, then look at the ones that wern't chosen to offer out for transfer... except for ones that will challenge for first team, then check if any players in your 11 are not a decent slandered and if not sell them. Then get rid of any unhappy players. Then go through your highest paid and see if they deserve that money.

I use a two year plan. On a LLM save I try to move one or two of the most overpriced players just to get some cash in order to add depth and sign some youth. If no one will take them I cut a couple of mid level players instead. After that I count on attrition or move players with poor work ethic out near the end of the season. The games may take a while but I find it pays to be patient and not try to gain promotion too fast and definitely not in back to back years as it leads to a lot of future problems.

I try not to abuse the preseason friendlies but playing one or two against larger teams will allow you to earn the necessary funds for buyouts without lowering morale too much when they lose.

Back