How do you deal with player contracts?

whispers

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

So many of us have tried it. Players (including during transfers) demanding higher and higher wages to the point where it seems unreasonable.

How do you handle it? Any tips?

Do you guys increase their wages but lower their bonuses? Increase bonuses but lower base salary?

I usually try to remove and exclude all bonuses and increase the wage a bit, cause it is easier to keep track of spendings that way. And you dont lose 25k per game on a player cause you DoF negotiated a clause like that in the contract...

Morning

I try and shave a bit off everything tbh. I also tend to find that you can lower the signing on bonus by quite a bit whilst slightly increasing the agent fees so for example wipe £500k off the signing bonus but add £100k onto the agent fee (Change as necessary depending on level). If he's a regular starter lower the appearance fees but maybe up the clean sheet (If a defender) to make it more performance based, be careful with strikers and increasing the goal bonus though as if they are awesome it could end up costing you mega money. I tend to do Strikers on appearances and defenders on clean sheets.

Also if they are not happy to wait until the end of the season I just offer them a new contract but change the start date from immediate to the end of the season, the player is happy that he has a new contract and the club saves however much money every week until the end of the season.

Other times if the player is old or isnt important to me I offer him out for the audacity of asking for a new contract....how dare he!

Personally, I always renew contracts a season ahead for the players I want to keep which allows some extra time if they reject & time to sell if they want silly money.

It depends on the league/player obviously, but for the key players, a 5 year contract & 3 year extension (with no yearly wage % increase) solves a lot of future budgeting issues...and I'd rather offer a lot here knowing they're tied down for 8 years.

I don't mind the bonuses too much (apart from the unused sub one - ALWAYS remove!!) but I've been stung by the goal bonus's and have promised a few players an amount if they get to 20 goals. They then go on to score 20 in like 15 games and then don't score again!! That's frustrating.

I try and avoid minimum release fee/relegation release clauses at all costs and always use the automatic year extension if XX games played for players who are on the brink of being too old.