Bahaus

Reaction score
I think this thread belongs better in LLM as all the people here do this with a new club

I've been trying to play a lot of games in both FM10 and FM11 and sometimes I just can't understand the game
I don't scout too much, I just go to player search and look for players with good stats, for instance for a CD I look for Marking, Tackling, Heading and Jumping as the most important, but even if I get the best players with those stats, they sometimes still suck in matches

In the Player Instructions the game highlights with blue some important stats for that position and I tend to look at all those stats when I get a player, but as I said, they sometimes still suck

Should I factor more some Mental or Physical Attributes? should I factor maybe height or weight?

I never use stuff like Genie Scout but I have an urge to use it now just so I can figure out the stats that are most important for the different positions

Should I use the scouts more or stick to player search but look for something specific in the players?

Thank you

From what I understand, player search takes into consideration your scouting knowledge?

so the better your scouting, the more players show up in the player search...I may be wrong tho?

I start of very specific with my filter and work my way back. I go through the results and add anyone that looks good to a shortlist. I then go through the shortlist and get scout reports/offer trials to those players. Takes a fair bit of time but you will almost certainly get the player you are looking for.

I always tend to scout all my potential signings for a report card at least. Sometimes the reports are a bit hit and miss, though if the player is a lower star rating than I thought they'd be, I'll usually look at another player.

I think using the search filter as you are is the best way to find players, though as Tharros said, it's best to work back from it to get what you want (unless you're lucky and find the perfect player for that position!). If you have attribute masking on, it won't always show the best player possible though of course.

yeah start of more specific then if no players show up, lower the stats untill players start coming through, the best thing with lower league teams is you ******* buzz when you sign a striker whos finishing is 9 haha

Have a look at the u21 international teams around Europe, usually one or two decent players in there for reasonable money and with decent potential.

Have a look at the u21 international teams around Europe, usually one or two decent players in there for reasonable money and with decent potential.
Yeah, like you are going to sign an u21 international for a lower league team... :S
Unless it is a tiny nation...

Good advice so far, what have noticed is that physical stats can count for a lot when in the lower leagues. A quick easy way is to scout the players you coaches and assistant suggest in the backroom meetings, i've found quite a few like this.

It is worth looking at most of the players stats though, and considering how they work together. For instance a defender with 5 positioning might seem like someone you would not want to sign, but if they are quick and have half decent anticipation or marking this should not matter too much. I tend not to like defenders with low concentration or strength though. The same with strikers, finishing 5 might seem bad, but with a high composure and good first touch the easy chances should be put away more regularly that some strikes with 10+ for finishing.

It is also worth noting that players seem to play better in the natural positions (bright green, not green for accomplished) although players will come up as playing in a position if they have accomplished, they wont play as well as someone with natural. For instance a lot of players listed M/AML might only be accomplished in the AML position so worth checking. Obviously a player with great stats and accomplished will still play well, just not as well as someone who is natural to the position and has the same stats.

Some stats are useful even if not highlighted in the tactics role part of the game, for instance Bravery for a DMC, or anticipation for wingers depends on how you like to play.

I always get scout reports too. Worth trying to steer clear of inconsistent performers, players who don't like big games and players who have problems with injuries.

It might be tempting to sign a player who has problems with injuries because they could be a star player for you however especially in the lower leagues this can be a bad thing as you end up having to pay their wages whilst they are out.

Use different techniques, such as

- searching for players 4 or 5 out of 7 attributes you want (sometimes this will let you find players you need to scout a bit more, or someone whose strengths make up for their weaknesses)
- ordering your results by a particular attribute
- lowering and increasing the attributes, for example if you're searching for players with passing 10, would you really want to pass up someone with other good stats who has a 9 for passing.

Last edited:
My fav way with LLM, is to sort by going view < attacking(for example) < finishing

Then you get a quick idea of some class finishers for your team. Likewise with defending. It's the best way of finding ace players.