How much is too much?

• Thread starter Thread starter Raffazza
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 676

Raffazza

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about clubs ranging from Real Madrid (paying 80m for C Ronaldo) to Man City buying everything to Liverpool (spending however much it was they paid for Johnson) spending too much money and/or paying over the odds.

Is there such a thing as too much?

I mean, of course there is if you are a club with less than 30m to spend and blow it all on a player that isnt worth it.

However, if you have the money, why not? A Man city game that I player I ended up spending almost 80million on David Silva because a) he was needed to make the team better and b) i had the money. In my 3rd season I spent close to 40m on Gerard, knowing I would get oinly a season or two of prime playing, as I thought he was the missing link in midfield...

And surely the money by its nature goes eventually to a range of clubs (unless you are Sir Alex and refuse to spend a windfall....)

I dont know, do you guys think it is a problem?

:)

I read a fascinating article on this and about the Real president Perez. According to him he doesnt sign anyone he thinks cant make that money back for the club. These are all investments not just a millionaire's hobby. Beckham was bought for £23 million but made the club £200 million in his time there. Zidane cost them a world record fee but he led was central in their being European and Spanish champions which drew in TV money, prize money, better sponsership and more fans. Ronaldo had 90,000 people come see him in his opening ceremony thing. Im sure he will contribute to Real.

Obviously not all investments are a success but I really liked the logic that Perez used. He likened it to two of his companies he started. He bought a company for a pesata in 1970 and made it a big success. Then he invested a lot more money in a bigger project and made far more money and enjoyed a better lifestyle. This is what Real are doing now, success on a large scale.

what real are doing is business, 1stly they have the money to spend, they will make the money back from Ronaldo in a couple of months! higher ticket sales (season tickets) merchandising (shirt sales etc) sponoships, tv rights/revenue, marketing etc, plus hopefull winning silverware providing huge bonuses!

its all just business, they will get all the money they spend back in a year or two max, even though they might not win anything!

you are right, if you want to have someone in your team , pay the price, its as simple as that

Back