How To Analyse Your Tactic?

• Thread starter Thread starter Dicko1878
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 3K

Dicko1878

Reaction score
Im currently struggling with this and to be quite frank... havent a clue what to do so there are some obviously great tacticians about so can you help?

I currently have made a 4-3-3 tactic and lost just 1 game (to Man U from a set piece 1-0) in 17... but i want to make it even better.

Results/Table so far:

View attachment 231824 View attachment 231825

Last edited:
What team are you playing as? To have lost 1 in 17 is a good record for any team, so you clearly have a decent tactic. Could you upload some screenshots to give everyone an idea of how your team is playing? Just bear in mind that everyone will have differant opinions on how to improve, and only through experimenting with them all will you find which are good for your team.

What team are you playing as? To have lost 1 in 17 is a good record for any team, so you clearly have a decent tactic. Could you upload some screenshots to give everyone an idea of how your team is playing? Just bear in mind that everyone will have differant opinions on how to improve, and only through experimenting with them all will you find which are good for your team.

Just updated the OP, what screenshots would i need to help?

Seen the screenshots you've uploaded, some really good results there, ie chelsea and tottenham games. Could you uploads screenshots of your formation and team instructions so i can see how your team play?

Hmm, you play a similar formation to what i play at man utd. Not pretending that im an expert or anything, but what i would suggest in order to make a few improvements is 1. if you're playing with your focus passing through the middle, maybe you should be playing with less width? If the passing throught the middle, wont Pienaar and Drenthe get stranded out on the flanks and not be involved with play much? 2. i would also suggest maybe trying Ze Roberto as a advanced playmaker instead of a deep lying playmaker. As a DLP he'll sit just in front of the defence and protect them, and try and create chances, but you already have Fellaini sitting in front of the defence, and Fellaini is good enough to do that alone for just about any team in the world. As an advanced playmaker, Ze Roberto would sit in front of the oppositions defence, in the hole, in which case either one midfielder from the opposition will have to pick him up, thus making more room in the middle for Rodwell and Fellaini to control the game, or a defender will move up to pick up him, thus giving Quintero space to run into and do damage. I'll have a deeper look at the players later on when im playing fm, but these are a few things that i would suggest just off the top of my head. Hope it helps :)

Actually I have noticed I conceed alot of the goals generally from a cross... any ideas?

Hmm, you play a similar formation to what i play at man utd. Not pretending that im an expert or anything, but what i would suggest in order to make a few improvements is 1. if you're playing with your focus passing through the middle, maybe you should be playing with less width? If the passing throught the middle, wont Pienaar and Drenthe get stranded out on the flanks and not be involved with play much? 2. i would also suggest maybe trying Ze Roberto as a advanced playmaker instead of a deep lying playmaker. As a DLP he'll sit just in front of the defence and protect them, and try and create chances, but you already have Fellaini sitting in front of the defence, and Fellaini is good enough to do that alone for just about any team in the world. As an advanced playmaker, Ze Roberto would sit in front of the oppositions defence, in the hole, in which case either one midfielder from the opposition will have to pick him up, thus making more room in the middle for Rodwell and Fellaini to control the game, or a defender will move up to pick up him, thus giving Quintero space to run into and do damage. I'll have a deeper look at the players later on when im playing fm, but these are a few things that i would suggest just off the top of my head. Hope it helps :)

Thats great! Only thing I will say is that I'm inspired by the teams I see at the match (i have a season ticket for Everton) and When watching the spurs game I noticed that they played extremely wide with the players hugging the touchline, then with the space they open up they play the ball through the centre to the striker

Unsurprisingly the Analysis tab on the match screen is a great way to analyse your tactics. Is a certain player giving the ball away too often? Is one of your players constantly moving out of position? etc. The data is there just take the time to look.

I'm booting up fm just now so i can have a better look at evertons players lol, another thing i might suggest, is playing Pienaar as a inside forward as well, by doing this, you should be able to keep your focus passing and width, as Pienaar and Drenthe will cut inside, and link up with the players in the middle, and when they cut inside, they'll take the full backs with them, opening up space for YOUR fulls backs to run into and then giving them the time to put in the perfect cross.

I'm booting up fm just now so i can have a better look at evertons players lol, another thing i might suggest, is playing Pienaar as a inside forward as well, by doing this, you should be able to keep your focus passing and width, as Pienaar and Drenthe will cut inside, and link up with the players in the middle, and when they cut inside, they'll take the full backs with them, opening up space for YOUR fulls backs to run into and then giving them the time to put in the perfect cross.

I have been thinking about that, reason being that there is no point having a winger that crosses to a 5ft5 striker haha any ideas how to stop crosses from coming in? I conceed so many goals from not preventing crosses its unreal D=

1) When watching your team in a match, use the 2D classic view. It gives you a much better picture of how people are moving, where they move to, and their original positions.

2) The 'Analysis' tab, as Lee said, is your best friend. Use it to see average positions, runs made by players, passing patterns, general trends, and how effective your changes are.

3) Finally, think of your players and adapt. The discussion above about wingers and inside forwards is all well and good, but sometimes having a winger on one side to balance an inside forward on the other is a much better tactic than having two inside forwards. For example, your full-backs may not be particularly prone to get forward, and thus the opposition defence can narrow and nullify your inside forwards without any threat from your full backs. Indeed, looking at your current screenshot, that may be exactly what happens; Drenthe comes inside (moreover, why is he on the right? Move him to his natural side and give Pienaar, a more natural inside forward, a shot there), the opposition defence narrows, and Vrsaljko isn't particularly inclined to get forward, due to a combination of PPMs and the fact that he's on a Support duty.

What godcubed said about playing with one winger and one inside forward is a good point, in my experience though, when im playing with one out and out striker, as in this formation, i prefer 2 inside forwards cutting inside and supporting the striker, making a 3 man strikeforce when attacking. But as i said at the beginning, everyone has their own opinions. In terms of conceding too many goals from crosses, are Distin and Bocchetti your first choice cbs? And are the goals coming in from counter attacks or just normal play?

I'll try with one winger one IF first I seem to be playing well now with it, also its generally from both, just crosses along the floor into the 6yard box (Howard is pretty good at commanding his area as well), I'm trying to get my full backs to stop the crosses. Currently they are "hugging the touchline" so ill probably put that back to normal and possibly in the OI ill close down wingers often

If the ball is just getting rolled into the 6 yard box, where are you defenders? Maybe you need to make them sit a little deeper, or give one of them a covering duty. What other centre backs do you have?

So drop the line deeper then? makes sense and Jagielka, Bochetti and Distin are the only ones i currently have (sold Heitinga for 18 mil)

Yeah, if balls are rolling into the 6 yard box and your cbs arent there to clear them, it sounds like they're being caught too high up the pitch, you could also try setting Fellaini to an anchorman role, that way he wont stray far from the cbs, giving them extra cover.

I think with the players you have, you'd benefit from having an alternative approach besides that patient gameplan of yours. The attacking trio of Pienaar, Drenthe and Quintero hardly screams guile nor creativity, so playing to their strengths should be a good alternative. Quick transitions and attacking more directly is something that goes well with fast and tricky forward players, who yet don't excel in creativity nor aren't particularly incisive passers. These are players whose biggest advantage over opposing players is their speed, so use it. Also if I remember correctly, Rodwell has decent stamina and off the ball attributes, so he should be able to nick a few goals from deep runs to the box when the opposition is yet get it's shape into place.

I'd also utilize Baines' passing ability, and have him play trough balls often. Especially Quintero thrives from chasing those ball played behind the defense. Speaking of which, Pienaar could play the advanced playmaker role well enough to take further advantage of Quintero's skillset. I'd even consider switching Ze Roberto's role to advanced playmaker (support), so he'd occasionally pop up in ''the hole'' to play more dangerous passes, and not solely ''control'' proceedings from deep.

I'm on my iphone abd can hardly make out the screens but I'd give you some general advice if you're conceding crosses, as I've just started dealing with this problem effectively. Play deeper, wider and on the counter attack. You full backs will already be in a better position to stop the wingers and you may even get a couple of sucker punch goals from the interception.

I'm on my iphone abd can hardly make out the screens but I'd give you some general advice if you're conceding crosses, as I've just started dealing with this problem effectively. Play deeper, wider and on the counter attack. You full backs will already be in a better position to stop the wingers and you may even get a couple of sucker punch goals from the interception.

Cheers man I think I sorted the problem by dropping the defensive line a bit deeper than what I had

Back