How to develop young players?

dimes

Reaction score
I`m playing for Krasnodar from Russia and i have 3 young players (ages 16-18) with CA/PA being around 100/190. How do i develop them?

I put all 3 in my starting 11 so each of them played about 30-40 games/season (injuries, red cards, fatigue have cut a number of games a bit). One of them (the RB) seems to develop more or less ok, hitting 145/180 after 3 years. The other two players (AMR and CM) dont develop much. They still have 110-120CA out of 190PA and i just dont see them progressing. Sometimes they acquire just like 3-5 points of CA per season! Why is that? I just cant see any better ways of developing them - they are playing as much as it is possible. BTW, they all have determination skill of at least 12.

I have top youth facilities, great coaches, my coach profile also has working with yongsters maxed, the team is winning everything from the Russian league to the Champions league but i hate to see wonderkids not developing. Should i wait till they reach age of 25 or so? Or is it a mistake to put a 17-year old player in the starting 11? Am i missing something?

your club doesn't probably have the great facilities like the big clubs such as Barcelona and Real Madrid etc...., so they may never reach their max potential.
Happened to me in FM 17, I had Salih Ozcan, who was 17 or 18, and i played him in every match, but he couldn't develop more than 3.5 star player. Try sending them on loan to a club with great facilities. (In FM 14, I was Real Sociedad, and I send Sebastian Driussi to Real Madrid on loan, when he returned from loan, he had become a world class player).

I manage in Russia quite frequently. Usually at Lokomotiv Moscow. I've never had trouble developing young players, even when the facilities aren't the best. Same with managing at Mexican clubs.

The facilities at Krasnodar should be amongst the best in eastern Europe. Maybe even in all of Europe - they are pretty top class. But you need to supplement that with good coaches. That can be one of the tough things in Russia - finding really good coaches is a battle, and good coaches from abroad (places like Brazil are a goldmine) often aren't willing to relocate.

The combination that I've always gone with is simply personality + playing time. That has worked even with clubs that don't have great facilities or coaches to at least turn them into wonderkids. It might not be enough to put the final polish on them and max out their potential (they usually get poached before we hit that point), but with a high PA youngster who starts with average (for his age) CA, they will often be Prem caliber in 2-3 years.

You mentioned that they have at least decent Determination, but not their actual personality. Development isn't down to Determination and hasn't been for a long time. Professionalism, Ambition, and Determination all equally impact development. Professionalism and Ambition are hidden, but if you've already looked under the hood to see their CA & PA, check those. If they aren't good, that's your likely culprit. The players that have utterly failed to develop for me on the last couple of versions of FM tend to have low (like lower single digits) of Ambition and/or Professionalism. Use mentoring. Its slower and a bit less impactful now, but it still helps.

In terms of matches, a couple of factors that could be at play. One is that they could be over-played and that negative impacts their development. Two is that if they are playing but performing poorly, it can impact development. I don't think I've experienced either of these but I have read on the SI forum, so either is possible. Personally, I've had players at 15-16-17 years old be first choice because they are legit better than any other player in my squad in Mexico and Colombia. Never saw any negative impact from playing too much.