How to get out of Championship?!

• Thread starter Thread starter charlierow
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 7K

charlierow

Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently managing Southend United, and I have gained promotion to the Championship.
Like my previous save in FM12 with Chelmsford though, I seem unable to gain promotion to the Premier League, and I am stuck at around 18th-12th with minimum finances.

Anybody have any tips or advice?

Cheers,

Charlie :)

Not sure about Fm13 yet having only just started, but I had a similar problem with Accrington in FM12, but then went on to get to the League Cup final in 16/17 and this increased my fan base which in turn, encouraged the board to increase my finances. That being said, i did have a player there called Jamil Adam who i got for next to nothing in League 2 and sold him to Man City for 12 mil which helped me push on with a number of key signings.
(i understand this is not something you can DO without some luck but that was the way i managed to get up to the Prem)

With my Shrewsbury save, I went for a fairly small squad. Having some very versatile players is a must with this, as is squad rotation, but if you can manage with a squad of 18/19 with one or two loanees, it will allow you to bring in more quality for the money.

Another key thing is not being afraid to sell players - if you don't have much cash, don't be afraid to offer your highest earner/best player around to raise some capital. If you look hard enough, there will be ways to replace them on the cheap, allowing more money to be invested where you're short.

Another fairly fundamental point is arranging a load of high profile pre-season friendlies. If you get 20 or so preseason games against the likes of United, Arsenal and City you will be able to bring in not far off a million.

Signing young players is obviously vital, although I think everyone does on FM!

Hope that helps a little.

the best way to get through the championship if you're struggling with finances is to either keep in the championship long enough that you're club will be taken over and you'll have the finances to get promoted, or you can look to see if there are any ageing players that would be willing to come to your club on the cheap as they're experienced and some players can prove to have some great ability, even further on in their career

Not sure about Fm13 yet having only just started, but I had a similar problem with Accrington in FM12, but then went on to get to the League Cup final in 16/17 and this increased my fan base which in turn, encouraged the board to increase my finances. That being said, i did have a player there called Jamil Adam who i got for next to nothing in League 2 and sold him to Man City for 12 mil which helped me push on with a number of key signings.
(i understand this is not something you can DO without some luck but that was the way i managed to get up to the Prem)

How the **** did you sell Jamil Adam for 12 million? I thought he was a 1 trick pony in the BSQ

Cheers guys, wasn't expecting so many replies so early!
Wow, 20 friendlies?! I usually only go for 6/7 max, will have to give that a shot next season though!
I was pondering about the sales of best players, especially now i've started promoting the youth ( around 5/6 of my first team players have been with me from the age of at least 17+ now!

Charlie

How the **** did you sell Jamil Adam for 12 million? I thought he was a 1 trick pony in the BSQ

He was unreal for me for a number of years but i needed to freshen things up so offered him to clubs for 15 mil and got an offer from Man City. Might have helped that I had built a good relationship with Moyes (took over from Mancini in 2nd season)

Cheers guys, wasn't expecting so many replies so early!
Wow, 20 friendlies?! I usually only go for 6/7 max, will have to give that a shot next season though!
I was pondering about the sales of best players, especially now i've started promoting the youth ( around 5/6 of my first team players have been with me from the age of at least 17+ now!

Charlie

20 is a lot, but if you play 10 in about two weeks at the start it's do-able - the team get match fitness very quick! I also tend to use my entire youth squad for a few of the games, it doesn't affect the amount of cash you get in.
I'd particularly look at offloading Joe Dudgeon, Frimpong, Oumar Barri and Ryan Hall from your squad - it'd give you about £22k p/w in wages and hopefully around £7m cash; so at least £4m extra towards your budget. I'd look at putting it pretty much all as wages and sign players on frees whose contracts are coming to an end with premiership clubs.

I'd promote all your youngsters with 4+* potential to the first team squad as cover - they will perform better than established players with their stats. Maybe try and play at least one every game which you expect to win, and bring a couple off the bench if you're 2 or more goals up with ten minutes to go. It might take a year or two, but it should improve the finances and develop the youngsters well - 5 stars potential at an established mid-table championship side could do a good job for a mid-table premiership team.

Last edited:
Back