How to handle my youth players??

• Thread starter Thread starter Balotellii
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 2K

Balotellii

Reaction score
Hi, i have a little question.
I'm managing Standard de liege and they have excellent training and youth facilities.
Now, i've got a pretty good and big squad, with ALOT of young talents.
The thing is, i have like 10 players under 18 with a golden star, i tried to loan them out but nobody seemed to be interested.
What should i do? Should i take 1 youth player every weekend and let them have a couple of minutes in the first team?

thx for the help

i loan some off, let some play in their own league and some, as you said as a sub (depending on result), i don't like follow any guides or training programs but i manage to get youngsters to a good level; Daniele Conti being a prime example

Sometimes I prefer to keep my youth to work with my coaches rather than sending them on loan to work with **** coaches

Yeah, i'd do what you say and try and play them we you can but reserve squad or u19 isnt all that bad, they will still improve

And should i let them train with the first team or leave them at the u21/u19

depends on how old they are. I think after 20 or 21 their progress will be stunted due to lack of match experience if not played oftenly.

Personally I take any decent prosepects and move them straight to the 1st team, even at 16, there I make them available for the reserves, this is for 2 reasons. 1) When there are finally old enough you have no issues with language barrier, blending in, or them learning the formation. 2) They are being trained by your 1st team coaches too. They get the odd sub appearance along the way, usually 5-10 per seasons for a min of 30mins each time.
They are also tutored by a player in my 1st team with very high mental stats, paying attention to Decisions, Anticipation, Creativity and Bravery, this helps their mental stats improve quicker.

When they reach 19/20 I loan them out for a couple of seasons, but ONLY to premiership, maybe championship (or league I am playing in) and ONLY if they are guarenteed first team football, think sturridge, wilshere. This is usually for a couple of seasons then they rejoin the 1st team and play regularly. If I can't loan them out then I make them a priority sub, so anyone under performing at half time is hauled off for one of them, this time they get 45mins and for a min of 20-25 games a season.

I've found this maximises their growth and I've found now in my 7th season with Arsenal they are performing better than the likes of Gotze, Hazard and M'villa. I said this was the season I could expect a fair few losses due to the introduction of 7 youth players to regular first team football, including a 21 yr old goalkeeper instead of Adler, but so far it's looking like my best season ever, 19 games in and they've scored 78 goals, conceded 11, Lost 1 drawn 1.

Players can only grow so much with great coaches or poor coaches. The big thing young players need is football. Try getting Feeder Clubs, they are the best way to maximise the player's chances. Keep them at clubs that are in playable leagues, and that they are at least Rotational squad status, which will mean 15 games at least per season.

If you plan to have players stay at the club, give them tutors(use similar players to them), and also give them their own training schedules. Also, use the Individual Training Focus to get stats in the right areas up.

Back