Montanaro

Reaction score
hey all, I created a possession tactic that can roughly do 60% possession and 85% pass completion.

But I routinely find that my defense passes far below that mark, usually around 60-65%.

I run a flat back four, and 3 cms, 2 of which drop fairly deep.

I was wondering what techniques and instructions other tactic creators use to improve passing in this area of the field.

I find that my defense will randomly boot the ball down the field or on long goal kicks they will try to head it forward to my strikers instead of laying a soft header to a nearby player.

How short have you got their passing set to?

I tried making a possession tactic recently, and it ended up with the ball being passed in squares around the pitch, mainly in my own half, not really going anywhere, netting my full backs over 100 passes per game, but with the penetration of a peeled banana. So it was rather useless, so I might not be the best person to ask. I suppose you could train your CB's with the PPM 'play short simple passes'.

sorry I didn't elaborate further, TV show was coming on and g/f would kill me if I missed the start.

short passing and slow tempo through a narrow middle.

I suppose I could post my player instructions, but I wanted to see what others do.

I actually get 40 some passes for each of my CBs and about 50 for my FBs. But they still lob a good 10 or so downfield, inexplicably...

My CM playmaker gets around 60 passes, so it's not as if I'm floundering about.

Is it pass completion or total of passes u referring about.?

If its pass completion, then try not pass to middle, put it to mixed as u have narrow middle, which can be quite congested.

If its total of passes, then it is good. Passes should be more in middle and forward for a good possession tactic..

why is everyone so obsessed with having more possession? why not try to find a tactic to win matches rather than just having lots of possession

Ive got Arsenal playing 4-3-3 Very Fluid and Control, with a flat 3 in midfield, Xavi (hes 34) as a DLP, and Hazard as a AP. We never have less than 60% possession, and regularly create 5 CCC per game. Ive got Leandro as a TM so any long balls stick to him, and willian as a winger so we have an outball. Alternatively, Neymar as a DLF so that you can dominate possession in opposition half.

In summary, get good footballers in the back 4, 3 midfielders who like to play short simple passes and an advanced playmaker who is very mobile. Control strategy and either fluid or very fluid depending on who your playing.

good suggestions Grievzie

but I'm still wondering what instructions some people use to get ~75-80% pass completion for their defense.

I've improved it somewhat by setting one CB to attacking mentality and the other to defensive mentality.