JVM

Reaction score
I decided to make a 4-2-3-1 tactic, and while it's been fairly successful (Won the Premier League over Man United by 1 point, Europa League finals, Capital One Cup against Man City, and an FA Cup the previous season though that was when I was still figuring out the tactic), when I'm up against opposition away from home, I tend to get absolutely hammered if they're about equally as good as I am. Strikers tend to be fairly erratic when it comes to scoring goals and I've tried various other Player roles for them but CF seems to work the best. I tend to completely dominate games, but wins seem to be of slim margins mostly.

What can I do to make this tactic much better? Thanks in advance :D

P.S. The Man Utd home game, yeah FM isn't letting me show all the stats but again, dominated it and came away with the win, can't say the same for the away fixture :S

First thing to realise is that your midfield is unbelievably open. So are your flanks tbh. You're leaving 2 players back when attacking.

You say "strikers" but you seem to be relying on 1 striker to score all your goals. What happens if he's marked out of the game or having a bad day? Who else is supposed to be a scorer?

Probably worth reading this: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375632-Pairs-amp-Combinations-FM2015-UPDATED

Your tactics are so many kinds of wrong that I have had to open another browser window to get it all in! Just joking. Here are my observations:

- Both of your centre backs are in Defend mode, you don't have a DM and neither of your M(C)s are in Defend mode. So you don't have anyone engaging the opposition's No.10, or any of their attacking players who move into that area. You're vulnerable to throughballs, long shots and to the ball being played out wide from just in front of your central defenders. Switching one of those CDs to Stopper mode will encourage him to engage with the opposition sooner - but he might get picked off with no DM or defending M(C) to help him.
- Both of your full backs are on Attack mode so, with no DM, you're leaving two central defenders to patrol the whole width of the pitch and providing space for their wingers to attack.
- A Box-to-Box Midfielder alongside an attacking Central Midfielder will lead to them vacating the midfield - at times, you're going to be effectively playing 2-6-2. You're too "Gung-Ho!" - you need a defensive influence somewhere in your midfield.
- With both wingers on Support duty, do they get on the end of each other's crosses much? With one of them on Attack mode, you'd get more goals at the back post. If you have a winger on Attack mode, the full back behind him can go to Support duty - he'll get forward when needed but he'll also provide the cover when the winger is doing his stuff.
- The Complete Forward role duplicates the Advanced Playmaker_Attack role, to some extent, so your two central attackers will often stray into the same space. I'd put the AP on Support duty so he concentrates on playing throughballs for the striker.
- Get your goalkeeper to roll the ball out to your full backs to get your possession game going.

Last edited:
Your tactics are so many kinds of wrong that I have had to open another browser window to get it all in! Just joking. Here are my observations:

- Both of your centre backs are in Defend mode, you don't have a DM and neither of your M(C)s are in Defend mode. So you don't have anyone engaging the opposition's No.10, or any of their attacking players who move into that area. Your vulnerable to throughballs, long shots and to the ball being played out wide from just in front of your central defenders. Switching one of those CDs to Stopper mode will encourage him to engage with the opposition sooner - but he might get picked off with no DM or defending M(C) to help him.
- Both of your full backs are on Attack mode so, with no DM, you're leaving two central defenders to patrol the whole width of the pitch and providing space for their wingers to attack.
- A Box-to-Box Midfielder alongside an attacking Central Midfielder will lead to them vacating the midfield - at times, you're going to be effectively playing 2-6-2. You're too "Gung-Ho!" - you need a defensive influence somewhere in your midfield.
- With both wingers on Support duty, do they get on the end of each other's crosses much? With one of them on Attack mode, you'd get more goals at the back post. If you have a winger on Attack mode, the full back behind him can go to Support duty - he'll get forward when needed but he'll also provide the cover when the winger is doing his stuff.
- The Complete Forward role duplicates the Advanced Playmaker_Attack role, to some extent, so your two central attackers will often stray into the same space. I'd put the AP on Support duty so he concentrates on playing throughballs for the striker.
- Get your goalkeeper to roll the ball out to your full backs to get your possession game going.

Hahahah, yeah I'm not exactly very experienced with football manager, started with 2015 and managed to come up with a random tactic that took 3 seasons to actually kick off with Bayern :p. I really appreciate the advice, and if you think there's any further way I can improve my tactic, do let me know.

First thing to realise is that your midfield is unbelievably open. So are your flanks tbh. You're leaving 2 players back when attacking.

You say "strikers" but you seem to be relying on 1 striker to score all your goals. What happens if he's marked out of the game or having a bad day? Who else is supposed to be a scorer?

Probably worth reading this: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375632-Pairs-amp-Combinations-FM2015-UPDATED

Wow, that actually really changed my thought process when it comes to making tactics. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. 3rd season, took both of yours' advice, ended up romping to the title, but still a minor issue when comes to playing opponents away, still seems to be a bit weak. Not as though we're weak defensively though, because we conceded the fewest and scored the most last season.

Remember most teams feel more comfortable at home, and will look to take the game to you more. It might help if you scale back your mentality to Counter or Standard when playing away. Getting stuck in while playing away might be asking for trouble too; instructing your players to stay on their feet might help too.
Either of these settings may be changed once you gauge whether your opposition are coming at youo hanging back.