n3vercore

Reaction score
Hi guys, i recently bought fm18 and started my first career! My first team is Cagliari in Serie A. I don't like to play with tactics that can be found in the share and download cause it feel like cheating to me, so i'm making my own tactic. I wanted to make a solid possession team and step by step i finally have a decent tactic. The team is working. That said, i still have the feeling it can be improved. Defense seems really good but offense can be better maybe. So this is the situation:

View attachment 62241View attachment 62240View attachment 62239

My team can win many games but... i got 4 huge defeats (4 away games) against Juventus, Milan, Genoa and Torino. I feel like my central forward isn't doing as much as he can/should do. On defensive side the team seems really solid and maybe these defeats depends on the quality of my players. This is my tactic:

View attachment 62238View attachment 62237

I have individual instructions for players but won't post these here, i'll give you the tactic if you want to see with your eyes.
View attachment 62236

What i want is an help to improve the tactic, i want to make a better use of my three offensive players but i'll consider any tip you'll want to give me even if not related to the offensive side of the team. Thank you in advance ^^)

Hi N3vercore,

the 1st thing i noticed is that you exploit the flanks if you want your ST to improve you would have more chance exploiting the middle as that is a very narrow formation.

possibly setting one of the AM's to SS to provide support could help open space for your AF.

you could also get more support from midfield by swapping the CAR's to MEZ as the CAR's dont generally play outside of the middle third of the pitch.

low crosses would also help the striker particularly if he is quick and agile.

I see from the screenshot that have added the formation 3x to speed up the learning process, i would consider changing 1 to a more defensive counter formation with more direct passing to help playing the larger teams that are thumping you, and a more attacking variant with higher tempo/shoot on sight for when you are doing the thumping.

For my understanding, Carrileros ain't much of af creative midfielder, more like a supportive one.
So with 2 of these, and af deeplying playmaker(defensive) these 3 ain't much of a help to your offensive part.
Changing may open up the defence a little bit, mut maybe try with a Mezzala(attack) instead of a Carillero. The Mezzala with attack duty, covers a lot of space offensive, af might give you an extra attacking dimension.

Hi N3vercore,

the 1st thing i noticed is that you exploit the flanks if you want your ST to improve you would have more chance exploiting the middle as that is a very narrow formation.

possibly setting one of the AM's to SS to provide support could help open space for your AF.

you could also get more support from midfield by swapping the CAR's to MEZ as the CAR's dont generally play outside of the middle third of the pitch.

low crosses would also help the striker particularly if he is quick and agile.

I see from the screenshot that have added the formation 3x to speed up the learning process, i would consider changing 1 to a more defensive counter formation with more direct passing to help playing the larger teams that are thumping you, and a more attacking variant with higher tempo/shoot on sight for when you are doing the thumping.

For my understanding, Carrileros ain't much of af creative midfielder, more like a supportive one.
So with 2 of these, and af deeplying playmaker(defensive) these 3 ain't much of a help to your offensive part.
Changing may open up the defence a little bit, mut maybe try with a Mezzala(attack) instead of a Carillero. The Mezzala with attack duty, covers a lot of space offensive, af might give you an extra attacking dimension.

Thank you guys, i'll try to change one CAR to MEZ, an AM to SS and try to exploit the middle too. I was already planning to make a more defensive formation for away games, so i'll think about it and try to do something.

You may also want to look at your CB's you have both on stopper which forces the CB's to break formation and attack the ball early the better technical passing teams as you see with Juventus and AC Milan will play through this and get in behind very easily and would be my guess that a large portion of the goals conceded have been with player getting behind your defence I myself generally have a BPD on defend and A CD on cover to limit space and if available a SWKeeper on support to cut the space behind the defence.

You may also want to look at your CB's you have both on stopper which forces the CB's to break formation and attack the ball early the better technical passing teams as you see with Juventus and AC Milan will play through this and get in behind very easily and would be my guess that a large portion of the goals conceded have been with player getting behind your defence I myself generally have a BPD on defend and A CD on cover to limit space and if available a SWKeeper on support to cut the space behind the defence.
Just noticed you are totally right! I went to see goals i got and it's totally like u said! I'll try the pair CD on cover and BPD on defend and the SWKeeper. Thank you!

Your welcome Bud, im in the process of creating a Detailed overview for tactics creation will tag the post once ready. there are such a multitude or variations of everything in this game sometimes it can be hard to spot the obvious.

How did you get on with the changes bud?
I was about to write :)
On the offensive the team is clearly better, the team is able to score against major teams too now. But... i had few problems on the defensive side. I guess changing brought problems in the balance of the team. I was getting too much goals on attacks from my left side and my cbs were suffering a bit too. I decided on a rework on my defense cause i didn't want to leave new changes on offensive side. So, i made some major change. Higher pressure, higher defense and i'm trying offside. I decided to leave close marking too. Atm results are decent. Other tips still accepted.

PS: i read your thread, pretty useful, thank you for that too.