How to: Make Config Files & Add to Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Paul*

Reaction score
Introduction
Many people make Graphics such as kits and logos but some don't know how to put them in your game. How do you get the Chelsea logo to go with Chelsea? Well, the answer is simple, you need a Config File which tells Football Manager 2010 what graphics goes with what team/player/etc. I remember thinking the same thing a couple of months ago, when I was a noob with Photoshop and Graphics. I will also upload some Config files at the end to help you guys. The file extension of a Config file is '.xml'.
Useful Programs to make Configs
There are many programs out there to help you make Config files, such as FM Graphics Guru and FM Skin XML which helps you change certain parts of a Skin.
Other Config Editors
FM Graphics Configurator
FM XML (Couldn't find a link for)
FM Graphics Guru 1.1
FM Graphics Guru is a newly released program to help edit or make new Config files. It is a very easy-to-use program and is self explanatory, really. However, here are some help screenshots with instructions.
Step 1:
View attachment 106958
Step 2:
View attachment 106959
Step 3:
View attachment 106960
Step 4:
View attachment 106961
If you are still unsure about FM Graphics Guru then click here.
Feel free to ask me any questions on My Profile Page, Post on this thread or even PM me.
Editing Config (XML) Files without any FM Graphics Tool
If for some reason you can't download one of the FM Graphics Tools or you'd rather do it differently, this is how.
Every Config file consists of a code which tells Football Manager which image goes with who/what team.

If you look at it closely, you will see it will include 'The Filename' and the 'Team Unique ID Number'. Let's open the LA Galaxy Config file, which I used in the example. So, when we open it, with Notepad or Microsoft XML Editor, it looks like this:
HTML:
[<record>
<!-- resource manager options -->
<!-- dont preload anything in this folder -->
<boolean id="preload" value="false"/>
<!-- turn off auto mapping -->
<boolean id="amap" value="false"/>
<!-- logo mappings -->
<!-- the following XML maps pictures inside this folder into other positions
in the resource system, which allows this folder to be dropped into any
place in the graphics folder and still have the game pick up the graphics
files from the correct places
-->
<!-- List generated by FM Graphics Guru, by NabaDwA-->
<list id="maps">
<record from="LA Galaxy Away" to="graphics/pictures/team/1907/kits/away"/>
<record from="LA Galaxy Home" to="graphics/pictures/team/1907/kits/home"/>
</list>
</record>
The 'LA Galaxy Away' is the filename and tells FM to record the kit from the image named 'LA Galaxy Away'. The '1907' is the Unique ID Number of LA Galaxy, the team I made the kit for. All you need to edit if you are going to add a Config for you kits is the Filename of your away kit where 'LA Galaxy Away' is and the Filename of your home kit where 'LA Galaxy Home' is. You also need to find the Unique ID Number of the team you made the kit for and insert it where '1907' is for both the home and away kits.

If you have third kit then do the following:
1. Copy and paste the Away kit bit after the '<record from="LA Galaxy Home':
<record from="LA Galaxy Away" to="graphics/pictures/team/1907/kits/away"/>
2. Replace the 'LA Galaxy Away' to 'Filename'. Where it says Filename, insert the filename of your kit.
3. Then change the 'away' bit to 'third'.
4. Save the file.

Here are some Config templates. Replace the 'Filename' with the Filename of your kit/player picture for facepack/logo/background.
E.g. 'LA Galaxy Home' or 'Steven Gerrard' or 'Liverpool Background' or 'Chelsea Logo'. You do not need to add what graphic it is at the end of the Filename.

Kit Config Template (With 3rd kit):
View attachment 106965
Kit Config Template (Without 3rd kit):
View attachment 106964
Facepack Config Template:
View attachment 106962
Logo Config Template:
View attachment 106963
*I have named them: Config, Config2 , Config3 and Config4 for uploading purposes, it wouldn't let me upload 4 of the same name but please make sure when you edit them, to save it as just Config.
Remember, after you make the Config and everything to make sure the folder is in the following place:
Logos: Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2010/graphics/logos

Kits: Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2010/graphics/kits

Facepacks: Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2010/graphics/players

Do not redistribute without my permission!!
Hope this guide helps and do not hesitate to ask questions. There is a word and Notepad version of this guide attached,
Thanks,
*Paul*
Notepad Guide:
View attachment 106966
Word Guide:
View attachment 106967

Last edited:
fantastic, great help:D i have created myself in the game on the editor and now i used graphics guru to put a picture of me on the profile:D:D its cool(H)

Stickied, very useful for those who don't know about configs etc.

Thanks, just glad to help. Most of the time, if you have done everything it says to do and have created your kit, you need it game size (160x160).

i dont no if im doin this right i can make kits no probs but doing the config and getting them to appear on game just aint working anyhelp please ?

Awesome guide! One question, I want to add some faces to my game, do I need to add a new config for each picture? Or do I add the config after the first one I did?

Example:

Face.....config

Face.....config....but I make another config file or add to the first one?

Just wondering how to change attribute colour cause i did it on 10 but i cant remember

Just out of curiousity for people who have made facepacks thus far, what did you use to create your config? I used the Graphics Guru and my config simply replaced all the players with the default grey one. As I was Hearts the are licnesed and therefore come with portrait pictures.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but is the config code different for kits, face, logos ? Or is it the same ?

Just out of curiousity for people who have made facepacks thus far, what did you use to create your config? I used the Graphics Guru and my config simply replaced all the players with the default grey one. As I was Hearts the are licnesed and therefore come with portrait pictures.

I'm using notepad to create configs mate :) I prefer to Graphics guru ;)

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Just downloaded a Spurs facepack so I could see the config file. :)

PHP:
<record>
	<!-- resource manager options -->

<!-- dont preload anything in this folder -->
	<boolean id="preload" value="false"/>

<!-- turn off auto mapping -->
	<boolean id="amap" value="false"/>

<!-- logo mappings -->
	<!-- the following XML maps pictures inside this folder into other positions
			 in the resource system, which allows this folder to be dropped into any
			 place in the graphics folder and still have the game pick up the graphics
			 files from the correct places
	-->

<list id="maps">
		<!-- Auto generated by fmXML -->
		<record from="104072" to="graphics/pictures/person/104072/portrait"/>
		<record from="126527" to="graphics/pictures/person/126527/portrait"/>
		<record from="127925" to="graphics/pictures/person/127925/portrait"/>
		<record from="127946" to="graphics/pictures/person/127946/portrait"/>
		<record from="142537" to="graphics/pictures/person/142537/portrait"/>
		<record from="2003246" to="graphics/pictures/person/2003246/portrait"/>
		<record from="2265" to="graphics/pictures/person/2265/portrait"/>
		<record from="310870" to="graphics/pictures/person/310870/portrait"/>
		<record from="4000326" to="graphics/pictures/person/4000326/portrait"/>
		<record from="4000327" to="graphics/pictures/person/4000327/portrait"/>
		<record from="5103363" to="graphics/pictures/person/5103363/portrait"/>
		<record from="5106765" to="graphics/pictures/person/5106765/portrait"/>
		<record from="5109664" to="graphics/pictures/person/5109664/portrait"/>
		<record from="5113183" to="graphics/pictures/person/5113183/portrait"/>
		<record from="5132312" to="graphics/pictures/person/5132312/portrait"/>
		<record from="5204786" to="graphics/pictures/person/5204786/portrait"/>
		<record from="5397626" to="graphics/pictures/person/5397626/portrait"/>
		<record from="5666822" to="graphics/pictures/person/5666822/portrait"/>
		<record from="652912" to="graphics/pictures/person/652912/portrait"/>
		<record from="653054" to="graphics/pictures/person/653054/portrait"/>
		<record from="8440183" to="graphics/pictures/person/8440183/portrait"/>
		<record from="8448" to="graphics/pictures/person/8448/portrait"/>
		<record from="914971" to="graphics/pictures/person/914971/portrait"/>
		<record from="918434" to="graphics/pictures/person/918434/portrait"/>
		<record from="850015" 
to="graphics/pictures/person/850015/portrait"/>
	</list>
</record>

what we do if some kits simply don't appear even if we've cheched everything such as file directory,config file,e.t.c.....even if i start a new game....how can i fix that....

But how does it work when one wants to make a background picture for a player ?

Do I have to create a background folder then ?

It is strange because I do not find any of my existing background pictures of player screens anywhere on my computer. Need urgent help. I have no problems finding existing stadium pictures instead.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

.... maybe I found something out: Could this possibly the right command line for background pictures of players ?

<record from="2062100191" to="graphics/pictures/person/2062100191/background"/>

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

No, it is wrong. The command line above is not working. I still get no other picture as background :(

Please help

This has been very helpful, but can anyone help me with a wee problem I have? I have been playin Football Manager since Si games made Champ. Now it might sound daft but on the squad screen I am used to the Overview option in which you can look at the Squad postion only and you see your squad in 2 rows much easier to follow (for me anyway lol). In FM 11 this option is gone. Could you add this option back into an edited skin? Please can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.