How to make money as a club

• Thread starter Thread starter nelmser
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 4K

nelmser

Reaction score
I'm managing a very low league club, but I suppose this question could apply to all clubs.....

What is the best way to make money and ensure club growth? Every month with my Basingstoke save I finish about -£20k. Not much I know, but how to I turn this around and build my club?

play about 20 pre season games aganst team from the top leagues your lose the lot but your get about £200'000

A few ideas:
1: get further in the FA and Capitol one cups
2: buy young players then sell when they are 28-31 years old before their value starts going down.
3: be carefully when offering players contracts, don't overpay!!
4: you can have a team of cheep average players and still win(Swansea) don't get alround players but instead get players who have high stats for their role and all over stats are lower.
5: loan players from you're parent club for free

Don't worry to much about losing money monthly, as long as you make a profit at the end of the season you should be fine.

Most teams below the top 2 or 3 divisions operate at a loss, so unless you're being promoted its very difficult to make a profit. Aside from lots of preseason games away to really popular teams and getting farther in cups, like others suggested, you aren't going to be making money.

I have had some success staying in the black with Dorchester through (only 1/2 way through first season on FM 2013 but these seem to be working as well as they did in fm 2012):

1. Staying below wage budget, use loan and non-contract players as much as possible.
2. Getting a parent club if you don't have one. Helps with annual fee, loan players and a home exhibition game against larger rep team.
3. Exhibition games against bigger teams in pre-season and during any lulls during regular season. Away if that maximizes your take, Home if the expected profit is bigger than the away option. Because of game day expenses, I usually take the Away option unless the best Home game is expected to be at least 10% more profitable than the away fee.
4. I set high cup bonus in the lower leagues as cup runs can be very profitable and the "high" bonus seems really quite small relative to take in the lower divisions. Never formally done the maths, so I may be off on this, but it suyre seems to be the case.
5. Activate any and all buyouts that the board negotiates. The money is almost always worth more to me in hand than some potentially larger future payment is in the future.

I find that when offering a player a contract for example wage of 10k and appearance fee of 2k I will offer them something like this 6k wage and 6k appearance fee therefore I am not paying the player to be injured or to enjoy a holiday as much as I would have been previously and that means if I don't play the player as well I save money.

get promoted.
win games in cup
preseason friendly's against big clubs

Back