How to pick a decent assistant manager.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,Im going to start a save with a scottish first division team.How do you pick a decent assistant manager and which attributes should i watch out to see if he is suitable.

Thanks folks

Depends what you wnat them for, if you let your assistant handle team talks, then motivating is a good attribute to have, as is discipline and man management. Mental helps if you are going to let them handle your press conferences.

Good tactical knowledge is required if you are going to take their advice in this department. Judging player ability and potential will be useful if you are going to rely on their advice in terms of player star ratings; either loan reports, or your current squad.

Adaptbility and working with youngsters are a nice bonus, the rest of the attributes are only required if you need them to also be a part of your coaching staff for training, if not, just let the assistant play a part in all training, their mental attributes will help some players when training.

Physiotherapy is obviously irrelevant.

well for me as a preference, at this level i always go for the basics...someone who has a high "judging player ability" attribute, then having decent man management is a bonus
...what jake said lol

Last edited:
Depends what you wnat them for, if you let your assistant handle team talks, then motivating is a good attribute to have, as is discipline and man management. Mental helps if you are going to let them handle your press conferences.

Good tactical knowledge is required if you are going to take their advice in this department. Judging player ability and potential will be useful if you are going to rely on their advice in terms of player star ratings; either loan reports, or your current squad.

Adaptbility and working with youngsters are a nice bonus, the rest of the attributes are only required if you need them to also be a part of your coaching staff for training, if not, just let the assistant play a part in all training, their mental attributes will help some players when training.

Physiotherapy is obviously irrelevant.

Sound advice. The only thing I'd add is that you should generally look for an assistant that matches your weaknesses. If you feel you're not doing a good job in teamtalks, motivating and discipline are important. If you're unsure about your tactics, a high tactical knowledge can give important clues. And judging CA and PA is obviously important not just for your first team, but also what youngsters are worth keeping and developing.

for me the key things i look for in order of priority are
1) motivating
2)tactical knowledge
3) man management
4)level of discipline
5) determination

Back