How to play counter attacking football?

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have been struggling since the release of Football Manager 2013, which is a few months now, and i really cant get a save going untill i fix the tactic.

What i am looking for is help to make a team play counter attacking football, i want to play it as the main approach to any match, whether i am a big club or a smaller club,

Also when launching a Counter Attack does it then ignore the instructions given to the players? if so the team and player instructions should be how my team plays when i am not counter attacking?

Best regards and thanks in advance

Hey there,

I have been struggling since the release of Football Manager 2013, which is a few months now, and i really cant get a save going untill i fix the tactic.

What i am looking for is help to make a team play counter attacking football, i want to play it as the main approach to any match, whether i am a big club or a smaller club,

Also when launching a Counter Attack does it then ignore the instructions given to the players? if so the team and player instructions should be how my team plays when i am not counter attacking?

Well, if using the TC, then start with setting up a formation that lets you play your best players where they do the most damage and then make sure that you still have a good defensive shape.

Next thing to do is to decide if you want your team to play a very fluid football where all players both defend and attack, if you want to play ridig where defenders defend and attackers attack or something inbetweeen. Here, you can have a vision for the future and plan transfers to suit this vision but as a starter, just use one that actially suits your team. If your fullbacks have poor decision stat or lack passing and your attackers have poor work rate, then perhaps a rigid approach is best to start with.

The next step would be to actually look at the way you should setup your tactic. If your formations is a deep one, then a shorter (resulting in a more narrow and slower approach) passin game is best. If you opt for a 4231 with MCs, then a mor direct approach might be better.

As for the roles, its important to have atleast 3 players moving inbetween the lines. Have one player attacking form far deep, one attacking from midfield and one dropping down from an advanced position.

When you have set this up ( in the way you want to play and in a ay that suits your team), come back and present your approach

Last edited:
The easiest formation to use when learning about the game is actually a 442 or a 451 though

When launching a counter attack, your players will not abandon their instructions BUT they will play like on the highest of mentalities. Here, you will see fullbacks on defend actually rush forward to if being involved in the attack

The difference between having the "counter Box" ticked, like in Defend, Counter and Overload, is that your players will risk more to get the award. As an example, if the box is "unticked" ( like in standard, control etc), they might only try a CA if the opponents sits with 4 players behind the ball but if the box is ticked, they will do so even if they have 5 players behind the ball ( these numbers are NOT exact)

Well, if using the TC, then start with setting up a formation that lets you play your best players where they do the most damage and then make sure that you still have a good defensive shape.

Next thing to do is to decide if you want your team to play a very fluid football where all players both defend and attack, if you want to play ridig where defenders defend and attackers attack or something inbetweeen. Here, you can have a vision for the future and plan transfers to suit this vision but as a starter, just use one that actially suits your team. If your fullbacks have poor decision stat or lack passing and your attackers have poor work rate, then perhaps a rigid approach is best to start with.

The next step would be to actually look at the way you should setup your tactic. If your formations is a deep one, then a shorter (resulting in a more narrow and slower approach) passin game is best. If you opt for a 4231 with MCs, then a mor direct approach might be better.

As for the roles, its important to have atleast 3 players moving inbetween the lines. Have one player attacking form far deep, one attacking from midfield and one dropping down from an advanced position.

When you have set this up ( in the way you want to play and in a ay that suits your team), come back and present your approach

Okay, well i am going to play a deep 4-2-3-1 with the 4 men up front doing the job getting the goals supported by 2 backs who can produce crosses from deep, I am thinking of playing with a Deeplying playmaker (Like Xabi Alonso) and a Advanced Playmaker (Like Mesut Özil) So i guess a ridgid approach would be best to start off with.

But what i've always been told is, Counter=more direct passing, which confuses me that the 4 attacking players only have shorter or mixed passing as default when picking the more direct team instruction

Okay, well i am going to play a deep 4-2-3-1 with the 4 men up front doing the job getting the goals supported by 2 backs who can produce crosses from deep, I am thinking of playing with a Deeplying playmaker (Like Xabi Alonso) and a Advanced Playmaker (Like Mesut Özil) So i guess a ridgid approach would be best to start off with.

But what i've always been told is, Counter=more direct passing, which confuses me that the 4 attacking players only have shorter or mixed passing as default when picking the more direct team instruction

You can play short or Direct within any strategy. Short is when wanting to keep better possession and play more compact, direct is when wanting to play quicker and within a wider approach. When play " Counter", you CAN do this even if playing slow as quick attacks on the break will still be on when these CA's are launched

Back