How to use multiple players of the same kind?

Psychotic17

Reaction score
A situation I've never been in has arised in a network game of mine: I have four strikers and all are the same kind - the short and quick kind. All are about the same quality - among the top players in my team in terms of ability. Is there a way to use those guys effectively? When talking about striker pairs, usually it's a big dude who can win headers and flick the ball towards a small one who can break through the defensive line. What if there are no big dudes?

Last edited:
Some of them have really good Agility, so can be good Inside Forwards. Ledesma, with some training, could also be a DLF who partners a more attacking strike partner... or Nunez could be similar, but better, as he has good Off the Ball and is a good dribbler. He can find space, to pull defenders and then either dribble past to create more havoc or pass it on to his partner, like a F9.

Amazing. Took me a while to think through what you said... and it's brilliant. I wish I could *just see* those things, too. Thanks.

Amazing. Took me a while to think through what you said... and it's brilliant. I wish I could *just see* those things, too. Thanks.

You can if you approach things that way. Don't think of what they are - look at their skills, regardless of position, and consider what they could be. What positions make good use of those particular skills? The game helps here - it highlights what key attributes are for a given role. But beyond that, it comes down to what you want in a given position. That is something you learn gradually as you develop a particular way you want to play.

And once you start to see what a player can be, the options become really fun. Forwards become wingers / inside forwards who can score for fun. Reasonably well rounded creative AMs can become phenomenal DLP DMs. Rounded wingers or central mids can become phenomenal wingbacks. Central defenders who lose their pace can move forward and become an Anchor Man. There are endless options.

In FM17, I once had four (FOUR!) regen left wingers/AML with world beating stats, but none at AMR. I ended up buying Mbappe (age 24) for £100 million and sold three of them at age ~22 for ~£50 million each. The one I kept was the one who came from my academy, retrained him to also play in AMC & AMR positions and play him as a super-sub.

With the four of them i would be considering training 2 as AF and 2 as Triquestras,

the AF leading the line and TQ floats looking for space to exploit would be ideal if you can train the traits plays 1-2's and shoot with power,

even better if they are decent enough to play both positions well you could have them swap places during the game would absolutely mince the defence for marking them.

Read up a bit on the way Freiburg used their forward line of their 4-4-2 early in Christian Streich's tenure there (2012-2013 or so). It was almost a sort of double-false-9 where both forwards often dropped deep to combine with the midfielders and a lot of the directness in the final third came from the wingers. I don't know if it's necessarily what I'd do, but it's a real-world parallel to your situation that may be helpful.