Hughton worry over Harper return

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 442

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Newcastle United boss Chris Hughton reveals goalkeeper Steve Harper is likely to miss a considerable part of the season due to shoulder injury.

More...

We should have an idea this afternoon

Steve Harper has had a scan on the shoulder ligament injury which saw him stretchered off in the first half of Saturday's 1-0 win over Everton.
The United number one is now waiting for the results, and is likely to find out the full extent of the damage this afternoon.
Harper was taken to hospital after falling badly following a challenge from Toffees striker Jermaine Beckford, but was able to fly back with his team-mates after the game.
He has been at the club's Benton training ground this morning and www.nufc.co.uk will keep you updated with news on his injury.
http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100920/steve-harper-latest_2281670_2159695

Given has been told he can leave Eastlands by Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini, who went public with his plans to move the former Toon hero on in January. However, Hughton says he will NOT make any attempt to bring Given in on an emergency loan.

Hughton dismissed the speculation as “wild stuff” to the Chronicle today as he prepares for the trip to Chelsea.
Instead, Hughton will name Tim Krul and young Swedish stopper Ole Soderberg in the squad for the Carling Cup game.

And Hughton will wait on the results of further assessments on Harper to see exactly how long he will be without his longest-serving player. He said today: “Steve is still being assessed. It’s shoulder ligament damage, but we won’t know until tomorrow. “But he will be out for more than just weeks. We will have to wait and see.”
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newc...25/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited:
I think Krul looks good anyway. Not that he had much to do on Saturday!

Krul is a big talent, as is Forster, and this will be a great chance for him to get some experience at a decent level (as Forster has been doing on loan to Norwich and now Celtic)

Yes as I've heard. Well played on Saturday, first Goodison game I've made the trek for in a year and maybe the last for a while!

Big shame for Harper.

He has sat on the bench for so long, waiting to return to first team Premier League football, and now this.

What a chance this is for Krul though.

fair enough, i have never really rated Given anyway.

Really? I have to say he was, emphasis on the was, one of the best keeper in the EPL. However i feel it is time for Krul or one of the other younger lads to step up.

Back