Hull boss considers move for Owen

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 414

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Hull manager Phil Brown is interested in bringing Newcastle striker Michael Owen to the KC Stadium.

More...

Great signing for hull if they can pull it off as owen and campbell don't sound too bad

I think they would be class together, Campbell reminds me of a younger Owen

Probably would be a decent signing for Hull if they can afford to have a player who has to have the freedom to naff all defensive work to stand a chance of getting his goals. As Newcastle found though, this isn't always an option in a relegation fight.

He'd be better off going to a mid-table club with hopes of some UEFA cup (or whatever it's going to be called) football - they can afford such a one-dimensional player as they have the greater all-round ability to allow him to goalhang against teams below them.

Good tactical article on the subject (and the player) here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jan/22/the-question-jonathan-wilson-goalpoachers

I don't think it will ever happen unless Owen takes a huge wage cut. He can't expect to be getting 100+k a week when their other players are all probably on about 25-30k max.

will never get off the ground he won't want two relegations on his CV, and btw Campbell may be coming to Sunderland Bruce is hijacking the deal good times

From what I've read about it, Hull look like they'll offer 40k a week plus substantial bonuses (appearances and goals).

Which I reckon is about as good it will get for him, but I don't think he's willing to accept that he is no longer anywhere as valuable as he once was. That brochure his management company put out was ludicrous - said something like "if not for an unhappy time at Real Madrid and 2 injury plagued years, he'd still be mentioned in the same breath as Ronaldo and Torres". Erm, not unless you rediscover that electric pace you won't be. That would be the pace that the brochure acknowledged he had lost. :doh:

apparently owen wud be getting like 40 k a week then an extra 20k per game he plays along with an extra 10 k if he scores. its something like that

Back