I can't enjoy FM, because I don't feel influence on the game

Daners

Reaction score
Hi!

It's my first post ever

I want to start off by stating, that I am both a big fan of football, as well as strategy games (especially turn-based). But I really struggle with having fun at approaching and playing FM. Although I have spent many hours on playing, reading and learning about the game, I can't specifically recall any "positive vibe" during game or even by thinking about the FM in itself.

I know that FM is overwhelming, not friendly for new ones and the more you put work in it, the more it rewards you. And that's why I love strategy games. I have been pondering a lot about my issue and I have come up with some conclusions:

The main problem is, that I can't feel having measurable influence on the game.

When I have this sense, I can see when my actions lead to success (I am content with myself), or failure (I can learn from my mistakes).

A simple example - let assume, that in a given strategy game a factory gives +5 to production point/turn. I know that ship needs 50 production points to be built. So when my basic output is 5 PP/turn it takes 10 turns to built it. With factory the time needed is halved. Huge and CLEAR progress. The same goes with new technologies, weapons, new colonies, etc. I think you know what I mean :)

But let's come back to FM. How am I supposed to know what benefits there will be in the future from upgrading my coaching stuff from overall 3 stars per trainig category to 3 and a half? Can I be sure, that this +1 to dribbling in my striker stem from a better coaching stuff, or sth else? Or maybe even without better coaches the result would be the same?

When it comes to tactics. Let's assume that (each time with loading a game) I simulate two times a single match. The results are 2-1 and 1-0 for me. Then I only adjust one instruction for striker (let him dribble more). The results are 3-0 and 0-0. Again: how am I supposed to know what was responisble for what and to what degree?

I love playing FIFA career mode. Here I can literally feel and see the difference of my actions. I remember, that I had problems with finishing from close distance. I used to shot high and with power, which was mostly saved by GK. Then I checked some YT tutorials. I have learned to only tap a few times shooting button to send the slow ball on the ground.
I have tried it in close distance. GK's were hopless. I were really happy, because I knew that these denied shots were of my fault, and dozens of new goals resulted from smarter finishing.

Again in Fifa I can literally feel in my hands, how it is better to run down the wing with my new big-singing, 88 rated Bale, than it was the case in (not that bad) Deulofeu.

I can't get this feeling in FM. It's not only the results that make playing any game entartaining, but the process in itself.

In fact I really admire FM. I respect its makers and I really like the community. One does not need high-end PC to play this and the game in itself is not about slashing-shooting-fireballing as most games are. I want to like this game, but I can't.

I had to touch a little bit of philosophy of being a gamer :), but really please help me and share your opinions.

I feel the problem here is that you've come from a tradition of gaming where every actions is a direct consequence of your actions. I too love strategy games, Starcraft being one I've been obsessed with for well over a decade so I understand that feeling of small chances having tangible results.

But the key difference between strategy games and Football Manager is that strategy games involve direct user control, while Football Manager is about relinquishing of control. You are the manager, not the player, so you have no control over how the player plays, but you have control over who plays. it's about top down control; wheres stratagy games are typically about bottom up control.

I think the reason you're not enjoying FM is because you're seeking an experience from it that it was never going to deliver on. FM is not about your success; more about your ability to create the system that allows your players success. Remember, managers don't score goals or put in that game saving tackle, but they brought in the players who did and motivated them to do those thigns.

I feel the problem here is that you've come from a tradition of gaming where every actions is a direct consequence of your actions. I too love strategy games, Starcraft being one I've been obsessed with for well over a decade so I understand that feeling of small chances having tangible results.

But the key difference between strategy games and Football Manager is that strategy games involve direct user control, while Football Manager is about relinquishing of control. You are the manager, not the player, so you have no control over how the player plays, but you have control over who plays. it's about top down control; wheres stratagy games are typically about bottom up control.

I think the reason you're not enjoying FM is because you're seeking an experience from it that it was never going to deliver on. FM is not about your success; more about your ability to create the system that allows your players success. Remember, managers don't score goals or put in that game saving tackle, but they brought in the players who did and motivated them to do those thigns.

Thank you for your great insight!
So did you struggle with enjoying FM? What's the part of the game that gives you the most fun? What motivates you to play one more match? I mean, what do you find entartaining in game?

Thank you for your great insight!
So did you struggle with enjoying FM? What's the part of the game that gives you the most fun? What motivates you to play one more match? I mean, what do you find entartaining in game?

Oh FM is frustrating and infuriating at the best of times but that's football. I had to sit through Liverpool getting smashed 4-1 by Spurs last weekend and that wasn't fun; but I know following and supporting that team has brought me untold joy and entertainment. I think the entertainment from fm is similar to many micro-management games and resource-management games - where your enjoyment comes from building something.

the no.1 reason that motivates me though is i just love football so its fun to see the game from an inside perspective.

And on top of that, most of the time the game is a great salt producer so you never run short lol

Ok, so what do you think is the best to do to overcome this issue? In fact I didn't even make it through the preseason (I have lost motivation). When exactly did you start to have fun? After at least one season?

Do you love football? Do you watch it? Which club is your favorite?
I love football. My favorite team is Tottenham and i watch them 30+ games/season. So it's great to manage them in the game and win cups, buy worldclass players, make them the best team in the world (hardly happen in the real life). Maybe i don't win cups but that make me keep trying in the next season. It just start to have fun. More challenges is more fun.

Try setting yourself small targets, buy a youth player and follow him closely. Give him game time, find a good tutor, focus on specific attributes you want him to improve in. Find coaches that improve your Attacking or Defending etc.

Set smaller goals through a season like getting one of your strikers to 20 goals by christmas, 40 goals by the end of the season. Try to set your team up to increase the chances of this happening.

I know it's not what you're specifically talking about but you may find smaller goals give you something to target.

Last year I bought two strikers at around 16 years old, both English. I then tutored them and got them to learn complimenting preferred moves (one had shoots with power, the other places shots. I also got both to learn to play one two's).

Then I made goal / assist targets. Then I looked to get them both in the England team.

Then you can look at most goals for the club, best 11, international team top scorer etc.

Instead of just thinking of winning the league, make yourself a few targets and focus on those as you go, I find it keeps it more interest over a long period.