I can't find a way to sign young players for free! Please help!

BlackRussian4

Reaction score
In Football Manager 2012 you could "Approach To Sign" young players (normaly under 18 or slightly older and based abroad) and offer a contract. This meant that you did not have to pay a Transfer fee, just compensation to the club.

However, in Football Manager 2013, I am still Arsenal but it seems that you cannot do that. Has this been removed as an option or am I doing something wrong?

I had all my future superstars signed this way and saved a lot of money!

Please help!

Thank you in advance

My scout pointed out this 18 year old german bloke who has a 1.5 star current rating and 4.5 potential for free, its still in there! P.s if you give up trying to find one, i'd get serge gnabry from arsenal, cost me 450k, quality!

In Football Manager 2012 you could "Approach To Sign" young players (normaly under 18 or slightly older and based abroad) and offer a contract. This meant that you did not have to pay a Transfer fee, just compensation to the club.

However, in Football Manager 2013, I am still Arsenal but it seems that you cannot do that. Has this been removed as an option or am I doing something wrong?

I had all my future superstars signed this way and saved a lot of money!

Please help!

Thank you in advance

No, it hasn't been removed. However, you can only approach to sign as long as the player hasn't already agreed to sign a professional contract. Alot of the youth players only stay on youth contracts for a short time, and even if they are under 17 they can sign a professional contract that become effective the day they turn 17. To check this, simply go to the player's profile and check his contract status (also, if you can't see the "approach to sign" option on his profile it means he most likely has already done this). This is why you need to approach youth players as soon as they are generated. You'll find the regen dates here: Football Manager 2013 Regen Dates

Thanks for your replies. They have certainly made it harder than FM12. You could go to any Western European country and sign almost any young player 20 or under for free! That's what I meant when I said I built my future team with foreign potentials who became world class superstars for me as years progressed!

Miss me FM12 team :'( I was in year 2023 and had a world dominating team for years