ICO re-issue confirmed

Lee

Administrator
Reaction score
A re-issue of Sony's seminal PS2 title ICO has finally being given the green light in Europe, it was confirmed today, and is set to be released alongside SCEJ's new 10/10 title, Shadow of the Colossus in February 2006.

The news will come as an immense relief to those who have so far missed out on the title, with prices on ebay routinely fetching over £50. One enterprising London store recently priced the limited version at around £80.

The re-issue of ICO is almost certain to emerge in the standard packaging; minus the immensely-collectable cardboard sleeve and limited edition set of four postcards.

With this in mind, ebay prices could, in fact, soar rather than fall in the light of the wider availability, as more gamers come to realise the value in owning the 'original'.

A retail price has yet to be confirmed for the re-issued version of ICO, but it is expected that it will be released at under £20, with some stores likely to price it much lower.

While SCEE's London office dodged giving an official response at a SotC interview session held in London this afternoon, the UK's official PlayStation.com website wasted no time in posting the news this evening.

In addition, one of Sony's Dutch representatives, Isabelle Tomatis was quoted as saying [via translation]: "The launch of Shadow of the Colossus gives us an excellent opportunity to re-release ICO for all the gamers who couldn't play this exceptional game when it was first released.

"With great joy we are offering them a chance to fill the gap in their collection and we believe that SotC and ICO together will make for an impressive combination, loved by gamers in all of Europe," she added.

For those of you that missed out on ICO, (and given that it only sold around 25,000 copies in the UK in a mystifyingly limited release, that's most of you), the game has routinely been praised by critics and gamers alike as one of their favourite titles of all-time.

In this hauntingly-beautiful action adventure, you play a young boy who must guide mysterious Yorda to freedom from the confines of an enormous castle-***-prison. With an incomparable atmosphere and some of the most beautiful environments ever seen in a videogame, it's a short and sweet example of how to make a classic adventure game in the truest sense.

In fact, we'll be sure to re-review it in time for its re-issue and tell you in-depth why we rate this as one of our all-time favourite games.

Until then, ebay is your friend…

Source - Eurogamer

I've never played the game but I've heard lots of good things about it and I will deffinately be getting this when it's released, aswell as Shadow of the Collosus.:cool:

It's always a shame when this happens to games, from reading reviews this title looks like it's worth owning. Same thing happened to Poy Poy for the PSX, Legendary multiplayer game that everyone with a multitap should of owned.

I've never even heard of Poy Poy but I suppose I was only young when the PSone was around and didn't have the cash to buy lots of games.

Ok well Play.com have finally added ICO to their site and you can get it for £16.99 which is about a £1 cheaper than most of the other sites, so for you guys who want the game but are tight bastards hop over to play.com and buy it from their to save yourself one hundred pennies.

99708m.jpg

our price: £16.99 Delivered

availability: Due for release on 17/02/2006
RRP: <s>£19.99</s> You save: £3.00 (15%)

The heroic adventure of 'Ico' will captivate players as they wander into a mysterious forgotten world. In this mythical land, every generation a young boy is born with horns and traditionally sacrificed to help cleanse the community of evil spirits. Ico is consequently kidnapped from his village and taken to an isolated castle where he is placed in a tomb to be sacrificed. Surrounded by solitude, Ico begins to rock the tomb, causing it to tumble and break open, freeing him on the floor below. In the fall, Ico is knocked unconscious and dreams of a young princess trapped inside the castle, calling out to him to rescue her. Ico awakens, and is astonished to find out his dream has become a reality. Realizing his fate, Ico sets off to save the princess, as well as himself, from the wicked queen and the evil spirits that reside within the castle.

Not easily deterred or intimidated by the queen or other evil elements lurking throughout the adventure, 'Ico' prepares gamers for a perilous escapade through a vast environment of challenging puzzles, from complex brain teasers to simple mazes. As he leads the princess through the secluded castle, murky dungeons, shadowy corridors and magnificent river scenes, Ico must battle spine-chilling monsters and confront the sinister queen...

hmm sounds good. I think i will order it the now and if it meets my expectations ill get the 2nd one :)

I'm guessing you mean Shadow of the Colossus. It's not really an ICO2 it's just made by the same people. Shadow of the Colossus looks like a great game and I'll be getting it sooner or later.

No he doesn't have ICO.

Don't forget to use the Play banners on FM-Base (at bottom of forums)

For any of you wondering just how good it is here are two re-reviews of it by Eurogamer both of which give it 10/10. Link

I went to my local Tesco yesterday and they don't have it :mad:

Went out on Monday and purchased this stunning game and after 6 and a half hours of gameplay I finally completed it. I've never played a game where you feel connected with the characters. Also one of the most enoyable and relaxing games I have ever played.