Idiotic sports stars are merely a reflection of our septic society

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 708

Mike.

Reaction score
Idiotic sports stars are merely a reflection of our septic society

The deeply questionable idea that sports stars should be role models off the pitch has become axiomatic
Idiotic sports stars are merely a reflection of our septic society | Marina Hyde | Sport | The Guardian

• Martin-Johnson-007.jpg

The England coach Martin Johnson, left, and Mike Tindall answer questions from the press at the Rugby World Cup. Photograph: Marcos Brindicci/Reuters

Occasionally drunk, frequently uncouth, and somewhat lacking in application – don't the England rugby side know they're supposed to be representing the nation? Ah… I see. The motto on this country's coat of arms is "Dieu et mon droit", but only because the heralds drawing it up didn't know the Latin for "Lazy-arsed, ******, lairy and tearily sorry for it all in the morning". They were probably too lazy-arsed and ****** to find it out.

Before you take Middle England levels of offence, I do not mean to malign any 15th-century artisans, who doubtless nurtured hopes the motto would come to imply something other than "God and my right to be a right twazzock". But I really cannot hear one more person fume that Martin Johnson's motley crew "are supposed to be representing their country" when they are doing just that. If the sorry little circus that has been taking place in New Zealand for what feels like the past 37 weeks is not sublimely representative of this septic isle then heaven knows what is.

Perhaps there are those who still think of England as a land of pleasant pastures and Satanic mills. I envy the illusion. For me, there will forever be some corner of a foreign field in which an imbecilic Sky Sports News reporter is lumbering after the England vice-captain and gibbering "sorry, Mike, but the story JUST WON'T GO AWAY".

Don't get me wrong – while others might be purists, I am grateful for the diversion. As indicated, this rugby World Cup is not only taking place in Middle Earth, but appears to span a period equal to at least the second and third age of Tolkien's fantasy world. Something must fill the long weeks, and the travails of Martin Johnson's malfunctioning fellowship and their run-ins with the dwarves are perfectly serviceable. The players may not like the coverage, but even the stupider ones will eventually have to accept that it comes with rugby's higher profile. What you gain on the sponsorship deals you lose on the public vomiting.
    But never forget that the vomiting has always been there. And in far greater litreage than it is now. The annals of sporting history are littered with carousing players and the hacks who went along for the ride and declined to report any of it – yet because of the money and the 24-hour news cycle, we're now supposed to care.

The deeply questionable idea that sports stars should be role models off the pitch has become axiomatic. It was a social imperative to strip John Terry of the England captaincy – a position marginally less important than that of a regimental goat, but which has been elevated in the public discourse into a sort of hybrid of Churchill and Gloriana. Similarly, there was a huge objection to Andy Carroll getting an England call-up last year, on the basis of some police cautions. Yet why on earth should the England manager's personnel decisions function as some sort of off-shoot of the criminal justice system? There are times when football already seems to dominate most things. Perhaps we could avoid handing jurisprudence over to it too.
    Obviously, people don't apply such restrictions to other representatives of their country, such as the army. Soldiers can get as trashed as they like off duty – as long as they don't get arrested or wake up in Rio or whatever – but if they show up on time to have their legs blown off in Helmand then the sort of people who get their knickers in a twist over what rugby players do on their night off are perfectly serene with them "representing Britain". Indeed, these same people will probably be indulgently thrilled that Boris Johnson will be "representing Britain" far more visibly than any athlete during the Olympics, as the self-effacing old rogue has somehow been categorised as one of those whose off-duty behaviour must be excused.

Of course, Boris is only London mayor and in charge of a multi-billion pound budget, so it is perfectly understandable that he should be judged to less stringent standards than someone who may or may not get picked by Fabio Capello, or might have behaved like a bit of an idiot in a bar. But I can't help feeling that only when we dispense with the preposterous idea that sports stars should be moral beacons will we be serious about solving social problems for which athletes are often and bizarrely blamed. Players do not create society – they reflect it. Pretending it's the other way around is just a useful cop-out.

Could not agree more. Sports stars having to be role models = poor parenting. The amount of times I've been waiting for the bus in a que, and I hear people saying "ooo that footballer is not fit to be a role model", I just want to take them by the scruff of the neck and scream it into them that no sport star is paid to be a role model-they are paid to do a job. Not do other peoples jobs. Yeah some athletes may get drunk-but for christs sake, that is their choice. We may not agree with it or whatever-but they are human and entitled to what the rest of us enjoy doing-blowing off steam. Obviously not every athlete does it, but I'm incredulous, when I see a front page of a scabby little tabloid, with a blown up pic of some sport star holding a pint glass, with some stupid headline. Yeah, they inspire people. But in no way should they have to teach people whats right or wrong-especially when they're old enough.

If parents say the footballers (or any athletes) are role models, then they badly need classes in parenting-because they're not fit to be parents. That may sound harsh but quite frankly, I could not give a flying fig. The years that have passed recently, and in them what I have witnessed these past years, proves my point on that statement.

I shall go as far to say that anyone who says athletes SHOULD be role models, should be given an infraction-just for gross stupidity.

I think that athletes should be role models.

*waits for infraction*

Oh wait, ajt isn't a mod. ;)

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Seriously though, the article's spot on, if a little dramatic for my tastes.

This is one of the big problems we have, some parent seem to expect other people to almost raise their kids

This is one of the big problems we have, some parent seem to expect other people to almost raise their kids

That's because most of the time, they're given too much as it is, and expect even more-without having to do it themselves. This country is so used to the softly softly approach, and bending over backwards to helping people, who don't even need it, its taken away the motivation for some people to go out and do it themselves. If you know what I mean.

Back