Implenting Jose Mourinho's playstyle

Reaction score
Hey there

I want to play like Real Madrid does under Mourinho. A tactic that is good defensively, but extremely dangerous when taking possesion. They seem to use Counter Attack to bang in lots of goals, but for me it doesnt seem like they play Counter, i dont find them sitting back, waiting to get the ball and try launch a counter attack.. I see them press high up, when they win the ball they go all out attack. So maybe the strategi should be Attacking with Counter Attack ticked on? or wouldnt it work at all. Also i notice that they play direct passing, but when playing counter most of the players play 'Mixed' and when playing Attacking most of the player settings is 'Direct'

Any help is highly appreciated

Best Regards
zinedinezidane10

try this my friend.this is not my tactic but i think that is very close with real madrid.it is very attacking so if you concede a lot try to change it a litl bit.cheers...

Last edited:
Play your backup goalkeeper instead of your superstar goalkeeper.

Anyone having an idea how to stable your defense when playing Attacking mentality?

Just put someone there that will kick, punch, elbow, stamp and headbutt the opposition. Hhmmm, sounds just like someone we know from the R Madrid back line...

But seriously, if you want to stable your defence, have your back 4 closing down at around the same time. Don't have your fullbacks closing above the half-way line and your central defenders closing deep because then you'll be creating these massive gaps (READ: channels) that can very easily be exploited.

There are obviously many ways of making a defence more stable, but that example above was something that I had to fix last year and since then, my defence has been pretty solid.

Although of course, the quality of your defenders should be taken into when you decide how attacking you go... if you have slow defenders you shouldn't play too attacking (e.g. with everybody from CM attacking) because you'll be extremely vulnerable to counters.

Back