SamASHTON1998

Reaction score
Since FM10 I have struggled at the release and have slowly got better as I got used to the game. Since the release of FM18 I have played 38 careers with Southampton fc and been sacked 27 times the other 9 I have quit due to anger. the amount of research into the game I have completed is a joke. no matter how good the morale, team, tactic and or staff is I cannot finish above 12th and cannot stop conceding crosses and or losing the ball and being countered no matter the opposition. my tactic was completely familiar and my players linked however I lost 3 home games to Fulham, Brighton and West Ham all in the relegation zone without creating any decent chances, I have uninstalled the game and am convinced it is unrealistic and trash. someone help me

One club? 38 saves in 8 months? that's like one a week - are you giving it long enough before you give up?

The Saints are a decent challenge n the game, but with highly rated youth development and reasonable budget it shouldn't end up like you describe.

Have you tried another club?

If not, you want to keep going with Saints, take it a bit easier, be more patient and develop youth. Keep board expectations realistic and don't overspend, stick to your budgets and build slowly.

Most of the time when players struggle like this it's down to overeagerness and pushing budgets etc.

Build a solid tactic, for the first season, anything within two places of league expectations is acceptable if you stick to the budget. If it is simply down to poor results, then spend some time looking at tactics, use youtube, use the forums here for advice - learn how to help the team you obviously love - but remember it takes time.

I would argue that the game may not be 'unrealistic trash' but is in fact, too realistic - Saints aren't going to win the EPL anytime soon IRL so you shouldn't expect it in the game.

Last edited:
construct a stable tactic, for the first season, some thing within locations of league expectancies is appropriate in case you persist with the budget. If it is absolutely right down to poor effects, then spend a while searching at tactics, use youtube, use the boards here for recommendation - discover ways to help the group you obviously love - however bear in mind it takes time.

my tactic was completely familiar and my players linked however I lost 3 home games to Fulham, Brighton and West Ham all in the relegation zone without creating any decent chances, I have uninstalled the game and am convinced it is unrealistic and trash. someone help me

Just based on the bolded, I am going to guess you are going with a very attacking, aggressive tactic? It probably gives you some wins against bigger teams, because they expect you to sit back and you attack instead. But also loses you some matches. Especially against lower sides, who sit back and soak up your pressure. They Leicester you. Sure, you will sometimes find a breakthru, an early goal, and end up overwhelming them. But if you are aggressive, attacking, and especially if you run a high line, you leave acres of space behind you. And when you do that, expect to get countered. Its happened quite a few times to Liverpool under Klopp and I legit lost count of how many times Arsenal under Wenger lost matches to sides lower on the table because of those issues.

You say you are losing the ball. Have you analyzed that? Why are you turning the ball over? These things don't happen without causality. It can be player related (pressured, lack Composure) or tactical (no good passing options, especially if you are asking for shot passing). But there is a cause. And you can look for the cause and then look for solutions. But you need to start with watching matches and analyzing.

As others have said, how long are giving it? How many seasons in are you finishing 12th or below? Because they are predicted to finish 9th. Finishing 12th is hardly awful given the first season expectations.