Malarazz

Reaction score
I'm on my third season playing as AFC Telford. Sorry for breaking up the post but FM-base wouldn't let me submit otherwise.

Last edited:
I'm on my third season playing as AFC Telford.

I used the Tribute to Puskas 4-2-3-1 tactic off the forum on my first year to great success (FM-base doesn't let me link the thread). Finished the season capturing 68% of the points, second place had 53%, so it was an easy promotion.

Season two I'm in Vanarama National and that tactic no longer does anything. I try a ton of different tactics but the only one that has mild success is the Silician Defence 4-4-2. I end the season with 50 points escaping relegation by literally 2 goal difference.

Now in season three I try again with Sicilian Defence 4-4-2 and we're off to a good start.

View attachment 1072818

But that only lasts 8 rounds and we drop off hard for seemingly no reason.

View attachment 1072814

We practically only score off crosses. We would score 2-3 goals off crosses in one game at the beginning, until it went down to 0-1.

We mostly just concede off crosses, through balls, and corners/free kicks.

Our media prediction was 24, last place.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

So with all that in mind, my questions are:

1) is there a good LLM tactic I haven't found?

2) how can a tactic get off on a really solid start, going 4-2-2, then drop off so drastically, going 1-1-9 afterward? I did make some minor tweaks in those 11 rounds, so it wasn't all just that one tactic, but evidently none of the tweaks worked.

Thanks in advance!

I've found Plug N Play tactics invariably don't do the job. They're made and tested on teams that, usually, aren't the one you're managing. It's about coming up with something that gets the best out of what you have and plays in the way you want.

As a general piece of advice I've found a patient 4-1-4-1 is best in the LLM world but again, that's largely because of the players I've had.

I've found Plug N Play tactics invariably don't do the job. They're made and tested on teams that, usually, aren't the one you're managing. It's about coming up with something that gets the best out of what you have and plays in the way you want.

As a general piece of advice I've found a patient 4-1-4-1 is best in the LLM world but again, that's largely because of the players I've had.

It's funny because the opposite proved true for me. Season 1 my squad is the one that team automatically starts the game with. I tried a tactic I created around the players I had and went 1-2 and gave up. Then I put in a 'plug and play' tactic which like you said my players aren't really suited for, and finished 1st with 68% of the points.

Season 2 I drop the players that don't fit the tactic and hire ones that are good for it, according to that tactic's post (e.g. CMs with First Touch, Passing, Technique, Decisions, Teamwork, Vision, and Work Rate).

And on that season 2 is when I stop winning and have to try a bunch of other tactics before finding one that gives me mild success. And even then it's barely enough to keep afloat.

Oh well, go figure.

Last edited:
I can't recommened Stellas7's World War 2 4-3-2-1 Platinum enough. (It's totally plug and play)

It helped me with non-league Blyth. First season we won the North Premier (with 105 points), won the Conference North the next season, Survived in the Conference National first season (with basically the same squad I started with) and I'm now into my fourth season with a slightly weaker squad and we're on course to finish top 8. We're semi-professional compared to all the other teams who are professional so our fitness sucks. My budget is tiny but I am very patient and pick up released players even if they turn me down for months. Put the tactic in all three slots. Play as many pre-season friendlies as you can against tiny teams to learn the tactic and build morale. Follow the simple rules for teamtalks & feedback. Spend what little you have on a good keeper, good quick centre backs and good wingbacks who can cross. Rotation is also important but do it little and often. Try to keep at least 6 or 7 in from your last game but try not to play anyone in three games straight unless they are a quick recoverer or there's a long gap between games. I'd also recommend not wasting your time with the cups, they just stretch resources.

Hope that helps.

I should also add I set my training intensity to Balanced and Very Low. The players won't be happy but its the only way to stop them getting exhausted.

Try Eusebio V3 Original with formation that looks like 4-3-1-2
Follow the detail of the tactic

As for the player =
2 Wide Midfielder must have high pace 17+++
2 Deep Lying Forward (ST) also must have high pace, but it doesnt have to be as high as the WM
2 Ball Playing Defender (DC) must have pace minimum 11
2 Winger (DR/DL) must have great pace (12++)
For MC and AMC, find player with great Determination and Stamina (Vision, Passing and Decision are bonus)

For
For defense department,
Your DCs will always go high defense line,
So that is why you need good pace, so your team woudn't get counter attacked easily,
LLM player usually have 12-14 pace stats.

Your Wide Midfielder (WM) is gonna score most of the goal , 2nd is your striker
And usually from crossing produce by your DR/DL

I recommend find WM with 17-20 pace

user name RuiBenfica80 told me that Pace is always the key on LLM clubs