Pjotr84

Reaction score
Every time new regens are spawned into my youth academy more than three quarters of the players have "inconsistent" as their main/specific weakness. Is there any way to improve on this through tutoring? I've tried signing some veterans who are reported to be consistent and using them as tutors, but I haven't seen any improvement in the two seasons I've been doing this.

Nope. On rare occasions their consistency might go up level or two, but nothing major. Newgens, or regens are big problem in past 3-4 FMs.

Obviously consistency is something that should come with experience, though I've never actually noticed this in my player reports (will look for it from now on.) I imagine that having a professional type personality as a tutor would speed things up but not really sure. Interesting to hear from someone with a bit more knowledge.

Last edited:
As long as it can go up a bit, I'd be happy. I want to use my youth to strengthen my squad, but I don't want to risk half my team having off days somewhere down the line.

Consistency can be improved with more game time and it can also be improved via tutoring from a player who has strong mental attributes.

If you play a player often and if he gives impressive performances regularly, it will improve his consistency attribute.
It's pretty much the same story for "important matches" too, if a player starts to perform well in important matches it should start to raise is 'important match' attribute.

In both cases they need to be playing those matches to improve those attributes for the long term.

You might only raise the attributes by maybe 1-2 points a season and at 20+ or so years old that will drop massively to maybe 0.5 a season, so if the players lacks the 'determination' or has a negative personality it's only then I'd steer clear of them or look to move them on.

Last edited:
Consistency can be improved with more game time and it can also be improved via tutoring from a player who has strong mental attributes.

If you play a player often and if he gives impressive performances regularly, it will improve his consistency attribute.
It's pretty much the same story for "important matches" too, if a player starts to perform well in important matches it should start to raise is 'important match' attribute.

In both cases they need to be playing those matches to improve those attributes for the long term.

You might only raise the attributes by maybe 1-2 points a season and at 20+ or so years old that will drop massively to maybe 0.5 a season, so if the players lacks the 'determination' or has a negative personality it's only then I'd steer clear of them or look to move them on.
Completely wrong. Getting point in consistency has nothing to do with tutoring or letting the player play. It's based on RNG. Also, you cannot improve important matches.

Tutoring is only good for these things:
Changing players personality ( lets say if tutor is model professional, he has a chance to pass that on his 'student')
Determination ( increases or decreases, depends on level of determinaton tutor and his 'student' have. If tutor has lower determination, it's pretty much pointless to appoint him).
PPMs. Tutor has a chance to pass some PPM he knows to his student.

Completely wrong. Getting point in consistency has nothing to do with tutoring or letting the player play.
It's you who are wrong Vanjagl, very wrong indeed.
Getting points added to consistency has absolutely EVERYTHING to do with game time.

Tutoring is only good for these things:
Changing players personality
And if it changes his personality might it then aid him to become MORE CONSISTENT?
Which incidentally is precisely why I mentioned that the tutor have strong metal attributes.
Also using a tutor with strong levels of Determination, Pressure and Professionalism can only help.
(Model Citizen, Resolute, Model Professional / Professional / Fairly Professional, Spirited, Evasive, Iron Willed)

As you seem unaware Vanjagl these are dynamic Event Based attributes and as such are NOT improved by training.
I will now quote the bible:

guidetofootballmanager.com
Another way that you can influence event-based development is by featuring a player regularly in matches. In particular, the hidden attribute Consistency can improve if he often plays well. Therefore, it may be worth using a young prospect in matches against weaker opposition as frequently as possible, especially if a coach or scout has mentioned in a report that he has poor Consistency. Alternatively, you could loan him out to a team that is performing well near the top of their league.

Similarly, if a player often performs well in big matches then the hidden attribute Important Matches can increase. Leadership can improve as well if an individual is played regularly, especially if he makes important contributions to the team such as scoring crucial match winning goals, while it can also improve as a player gains experience captaining the side.

So Vanjagl, instead of trying to find holes with other peoples posts why don't you try and offer something constructive and factual?

Last edited:
Personality has nothing to do with consistency. Just because a player is a Model Professional, doesn't mean he'll be consistent, since the parameters for personality are outside that. So no, tutoring has no effect on either consistency or important matches.

Consistency occasionally can increase depending on game time and experience, but I've found it nowhere accurately that Important Matches attribute may increase.

The only thing that changes from tutoring is determination, PPM and hidden attributes. Consistency and Important Matches, though hidden, don't change from it.

It's you who are wrong Vanjagl, very wrong indeed.
Getting points added to consistency has absolutely EVERYTHING to do with game time.

And if it changes his personality might it then aid him to become MORE CONSISTENT?
Which incidentally is precisely why I mentioned that the tutor have strong metal attributes.
Also using a tutor with strong levels of Determination, Pressure and Professionalism can only help.
(Model Citizen, Resolute, Model Professional / Professional / Fairly Professional, Spirited, Evasive, Iron Willed)

As you seem unaware Vanjagl these are dynamic Event Based attributes and as such are NOT improved by training.
I will now quote the bible:

guidetofootballmanager.com

So Vanjagl, instead of trying to find holes with other peoples posts why don't you try and offer something constructive and factual?

Well man, I'm just trying to help. Al those things are based on my personal experiment. If you want to believe in guidetofootballmanager.com, be my guest. I'm telling you it's false and improvement on consistency is based on RNG. In most cases consistency will improve with young players, regardless are they playing or not. How much consistency will improve, that's determined by RNG and nothing else. Important matches are different. It cannot improve.
I would like to test it though. I'll create a db with perfect youngsters bar their consistency and important match stats, then I'll take SS from editor and post it here before and after 5 years of simulating. Feel free to add some conditions to this test.

Personality has nothing to do with consistency. Just because a player is a Model Professional, doesn't mean he'll be consistent

Very true, I merely meant that a Tutor with those personality traits would be best suited to Tutee with poor Consistency.
It was the indirect benefits I was inferring to as Consistency and Imp Matches are (I'm told) unaffected by tutoring.
Change the personality = change the player.

These tutoring changes can help him deal with pressure, train better or become more determined, mild changes that over time can turn him into a totally different player than he might have never become.
On the manager side of things:
Fine him for sending's off and poor performances and his aggression and temperament (Sportsmanship?) may become more balanced.
Scald him for poor training and again his determination and professionalism could improve.
Five years down the line you could have and absolute beast of a player who would have been far less had you not bothered.
Or you could still have a useless pup who has wasted your time and effort.

Well man, I'm just trying to help. Al those things are based on my personal experiment. If you want to believe in guidetofootballmanager.com, be my guest. I'm telling you it's false and improvement on consistency is based on RNG. In most cases consistency will improve with young players, regardless are they playing or not. How much consistency will improve, that's determined by RNG and nothing else. Important matches are different. It cannot improve.
I would like to test it though. I'll create a db with perfect youngsters bar their consistency and important match stats, then I'll take SS from editor and post it here before and after 5 years of simulating. Feel free to add some conditions to this test.

5 seasons of hands off simulation will achieve nothing other than giving you a control.
You can then contrast that control to 5 season of hands on PLAYING, assigning tutors, harrasing players, fining, praising, changing training focus, loaning out etc etc etc and see the difference.
I mean!!!! how can a player become more consistent if he's NOT playing, it's totally illogical. :S
And the only thing I can find about RNG is something linking it to FM09 as a file extension, even the WIKI has no clue what RNG has to do with FM. My best guess is Random Number Generator.

I'm sorry but you are just wrong and that is my last word to you on the matter.

5 seasons of hands off simulation will achieve nothing other than giving you a control.
You can then contrast that control to 5 season of hands on PLAYING, assigning tutors, harrasing players, fining, praising, changing training focus, loaning out etc etc etc and see the difference.
I mean!!!! how can a player become more consistent if he's NOT playing, it's totally illogical. :S
And the only thing I can find about RNG is something linking it to FM09 as a file extension, even the WIKI has no clue what RNG has to do with FM. My best guess is Random Number Generator.

I'm sorry but you are just wrong and that is my last word to you on the matter.
Those things have nothing to do with players consistency attribute. You're confused as far as I see. Consistency is hidden attribute and it can increase during time, however, playing time and tutors have nothing to do with it. I will agree with you if you manage your player properly, he will become better, with more playing time, fining him, talking with him. You can make him better if you do that. But that has nothing to do with consistency attribute. You're forgetting this is game, not real football. FM is about simulation. And in every simulator there has to be RNG. RNG maybe is not the best term, but there is law of probability in FM. There are multiple factor I.E. why do players get injured. It's not only based on their hidden attribute injury pronenesses. Same goes with how player will perform. Consistency attribute alone isn't the only indicator of that. However, I'll repeat, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about that number consistency represent.

Thanks for all your replies. If improvement of consistency is solely dependant on RNG, I'll just not worry about it and stop signing tutors for that reason.

RNG does not solely control whether a player becomes consistent or not.
The RNG is a contributor to it with things like private training chats or after match chats, it's then that RNG determines if your chat has had a positive, negative or neutral effect on the player or if the Tutor is successful. Things of that nature.
RNG 'contributes' in these area's.

Save the game:
Have a chat with a player, he might react badly to it.
Reload the game:
Have the same chat in the same tone with the same player, this time he might react differently.
That's RNG in action.

Think of a young player like he was a young F1 driver.
If that driver never raced the car and never raced certain tracks then he would never gain consistency with either.
But with practice and track time (even if it's just a free practice session) he gets to know the car and the team.
Slowly he gains experience and consistency. IMHO it's pretty much the same in FM.

Branded as inconsistent is I believe misleading for 14/16 year old regens, at that age they have had little or no match time.
So the games gives the player his most obvious weakness.
Only after 100 games or so and if the player is still branded as inconsistent should you worry.

Last edited: