Inside Forwards, do they have to have the opposite foot to be effective???

wazzawarren

Reaction score
I have always used inside forwards on the wings and have a left footed player in the AMR and right footed player in AML so they cut iside and score goals on their stronger foot. However I have seen on peoples tactics screen shots that they will put a left footer in AML position but still on IF, are they still effective?

e.g. Podolski never performs when put in the AMR position as a IF, also Walcott apparently is banging in the goals at AMR will he still be good set as a IF?

Help appreciated.

They dont have to have the opposite foot to the flank, however same footed inside forwards will stay a little wider, purely because they are dribbling on their stronger foot

What Mike said. If you've got a player who has the same strong foot as the side they play on, then it might be a good idea to set their role as winger rather than inside forward, as wingers don't cut inside as much as inside forwards, and much rather prefer to take the ball to the byline and supply crosses. However, in answer to the question in the title of the thread, I'd personally say yes. Because as I said before, inside forwards will generally have a stronger foot opposite to the side they play naturally on, so that they can cut inside and lash shots across the goal.

When I was initially starting out it was a big thing for me to make sure they play on the wing opposite their strong foot.

I've come to realize it's not really a big deal, they'll still score goals as long as they've got good shooting stats.

Back