Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Average

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

irishjohan

Reaction score
Hello there. I am an FM veteran sharing his tactic for the first time. The Tactic is for FM2013.

I used this 442 tactic to dominate European football with Liverpool, ending up as the No.1 ranked manager ahead of Fergie. I won 14 PL titles and 13 European Cups in a 20 year period.

THERE IS NO NEED TO SET ANY INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE OPPOSITION - OR TOUCHLINE SHOUTS. I DO NOT INTERFERE WITH/OVERCOMPLICATE THE SYSTEM. THE FORMATION IS PLUG AND PLAY.

I may have won more, it took me till the 5th season for title No.1 as I was tweaking my tactic until then. I then dominated the game in England and abroad.

I used the tactic for all games, home and away. It looks like a 424, but was designed to emulate my favourite 442 formations. Attacking and balanced, I prefer not to overcomplicate matters. I usually have good possession stats of above 60%.

The system works as follows:

Goalkeeper - Nothing fancy - GK, set to defend. Distributes ball to RB to set the play in motion.

Full-Backs - FB's both set to support, offer width and balance. Set to prioritise defence.

Centre-Backs - CD's both set to defend, they work as a pair. As with FB's - prioritise defence. Offer set-piece threat, particularly the left CD, who I set as the taller to attack the near post on corners and go forward on FK's.

Ball Winning Midfielder - BWM,. The more defensive minded of the two central midfielders. A Roy Keane-type, don't expect lots of goals, but will protect the back 4 whilst maintaining possession, he is set to support, as the back 4 does not want to play too deep, he works in tandem with his partner who is a...

Deep-lying midfielder - DLM set to support. When not in possession he will help form a defensive base. With the ball - a creative midfield force, also capable of scoring goals. Both midfielders should have a good work rate.

Wingers - W. Both set to support. Offer width, assists and goals. Also should be main set piece takers if possible (DLP another option).

Target man - TM. Set to attack. Will link the midfield and attack, offer through balls and also score goals. A critical part of the jigsaw. Does not need to be a giant, I have had 6ft players with strength and class on the ball play the role superbly.

Poacher - P. Set to attack. A speed demon who can break an offside trap and hang on the last man is ideal to stretch defences. If he is good in the air and creative then all the better.

Use left footed wingers on the left - and right footed wingers on the right.

Finally - For training, I use General Training - Default focus (balanced) and Default intensity (average) - Scheduling match training at 30% - and default focus on defending set-pieces. I tick 'allow rest after match'. I find these settings don't burn the players out and keep them at a good level of fitness.

In pre-season will set the lads to attune fully with the tactics for a few weeks on a more intensive schedule, whilst setting general training to tactics and match tactics to teamwork. I'll be back to normal before the season opener though.

As I said, my first upload here despite playing fm since the 90's and building successful tactics in previous games. So I hope to get some feedback!

Good luck - Have a great day. (and give the tactic time! You may need the right players for it!) :)

Last edited:
Was this created on FM13. Won't let me import on FM14

Just wanted to check, because it comes up on FM14 tactics, and you can't use previous versions tactics since the tactics overhaul.

I'm so sorry. It is my first attempt at uploading a tactic. It is indeed for FM2013. My apologies that it appeared on 2014, this was not my intention.