Is 4-2-3-1 Dead?

• Thread starter Thread starter richie_rich
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 3K

richie_rich

Reaction score
No matter how much i try i just can't create (or find) a standard 4-2-3-1 tactic. Tried Raikan's one but didn't really work. I've tried it with a number of teams as well and just wasn't great. The ones i create are trying to re-create the spanish way of playing. the short, precise passing, high pressure on the opposition but nothing so far.

Anyone else finding this problem?

I play a 4-2-3-1 with my Aston Villa team with short passing and high pressure and it works really well with the players I have. I play it slightly narrower though (3 AMC's) because I have loads of quality AMC's and no decent wingers! Sometimes I switch to the AMR, AMC, AML version if the match requires it though.

Nope. I've had the most success with it so far. It's the tactic at offers me the greatest attacking treat without being too defensively vulnerable.

Importantly I have the striker as a poacher, who's fast, sits on the defensive line ready for the break. Unfortunately I haven't been able to use Van Persie effectively in my 4-2-3-1 tactic yet.

For my tactic, I play a slightly slow (only two clicks below normal), a direct style game (but more towards the shorter) style that allows my players to work the ball up the field quickly whilst maintain possession. I think because of the way players are positioned it's important that most of your attacking players are making runs off the ball (runs from deep) which if not, will just clutter that midfield and become neat passing football but ultimately without any bite.

With my tactic, I find I usually have about mid 50's to low 60's % posession. I also generally have a few more shots than the opposition but from analysis I know that a lot of my shots are coming from within the penalty box unlike the opposition who do a lot of speculative, long range shots at goal.

I am currently using this formation, its good once you get going, its getting it going which is the hard part.
Nearly all of my goals come from my striker whos role is AF/Poacher, the 2 wide players I set as IF and a AMC as a AM although considering to moving this to a AP (support) role. What are the best roles to play the 2 CM'? I have 1 BWM and 1 CM set as attacking ?

If you've got decent players in it, it'll be effective when attacking and defending. Personally I try to add variety in my attacking play by adding PPMs to players.

Obviously choosing the right PPM's for your style of play is the most difficult part.

Last edited:
No matter how much i try i just can't create (or find) a standard 4-2-3-1 tactic. Tried Raikan's one but didn't really work. I've tried it with a number of teams as well and just wasn't great. The ones i create are trying to re-create the spanish way of playing. the short, precise passing, high pressure on the opposition but nothing so far.

Anyone else finding this problem?

What 4231 are we talking about. The FM-one with DMCs or the "Denmark 4231" with Mcs ?

I won the double in my first season with Arsenal playing 4-2-3-1 (Created the tactic, not downloaded or anything :) ), next season, I wanted to try create a tactic that was based on the old Argentinean team,s to no evail, and I have since tried loads of different formations before dropping back to my old 4-2-3-1

Morale of the story: 4-2-3-1 is (For me) the best formation to use :D

4-2-3-1 (CM's) and 4-3-2-1 are the two tactics I've had by far the most amount of success with.

Back