Is a Def. Mid. as important as an Attacker?

swappysnipes

Reaction score
The modern game of football has brought about many roles but one role i think its time for FIFA to look at is the Defensive Midfield role.
Often not bought with huge sums of transfer fees. The Defensive Midfielder's qualities and importance to a team are second to none.
Well correct me if i am wrong when was the last FIFA awarded a defensive Midfielder as the world's best player or the best player a World cup tournament.
With the likes of Essien, Mascherano, De Jong, Yaya Toure, De Rossi, Toulalan and others battling it out for recognition on the world stage, Experienced folks such as Cambiasso, Gattuso, Frings, Pirlo and all time favorites and Veterans like Makélélé and Vieira hasn't give up on the battle yet, thinking when will they ever hold this prestigious award.
So are this Men the unsung heroes or they are simple not good enough to hold that award.

Last edited:
yip, goals win games and goals lead to awards, thats just the sad truth though! how many Gk do you see getting nominated??? i think they are the most important position on the field! they are the Unsung heroes of the team!

Goals!!?. Well if so then how many goals did Fabio Cannavaro scored in 2006.
?

Cannavaro was world class then. Name one world class defensive midfielder that has played amazingly well in the past season's?

I thought cannavaro was a center back? my knowledge outside english is close to darn rubbish so please excuse me.

I thought cannavaro was a center back? my knowledge outside english is close to darn rubbish so please excuse me.
Yeah he wass which makes his point about Cannavaro even more pointless oO)

there are rare exceptions to the rule, as i mentioned earlier, Gk and Cb do not get nearly as much credit as attacking players as they score goals and can be assessed as to how many goals they scored over a period of time, not how many clean sheets they defense had or how many tackles they Cb or Dm made!
Cannovaro had a fantastic season and thats because he was captain and his team was playing brilliantly! scoring goals and winning games, if he was not captain and did not captain Italy to World Cup final he would have never even had been considered!

Football matches are decided by goals, you score,you win.

However, vidic's 14 appearance which made 14 clean sheets in a row did not get any form of english recognition because football now revolves too much around goals. Every team wants to score 4,5 goals across their opponent. Nobody gives a **** about defensive play, tell me how kaka won the balon d'or on his 2nd or 3rd year in milan when Maldini who practically lived in the rossoneri his entire life won no european award.

Cannavaro was world class then. Name one world class defensive midfielder that has played amazingly well in the past season's?

Makaelele when he was at Chelsea was just amanzing

Essien again just amanzing

Yaya Toure maybe

i thought, uefa did a Goalie, Defender, Midfielder and attacker adwards anyway.

so there is a chance for a defence midfielder to win it.

And before people start saying ronaldo, will always win midfielder. he actually won attcker of the year last season.

xavi got an award 4 best player in euro 2008 playin in defensive mid

It's all well and good saying goals win you matches but having a quality DM that helps prevent goals means that you won't lose will you? It just about having the right balance in your team.

And Makelele was so good at the DM role that it was named by many as the 'Makelele Role' Lol.
Yaya Toure looks like a good shout to become one of the best DM's.

Xabi Alonso, Ever Banega, Claude Makelele? There are loads of brilliant DM/Playmakers.

Back