is football deteriorating?

chebonaparte

Reaction score
hey i love football since was kid and i watch highlights when i can but when i do watch a full live mathc these days im always dissapointed by the lack of entertaining play in big and minnow teams.

is it just me or was football much more entertaining and free flowing in past 90s, 80s etc?

todays game is too defensive too tactical and too boring omg so many boring mathces

soccer as i knew it is gone to this boring hybrid

bring back free flowing attack after attack and goals and real tackles and less corrupt officails please

am liverpool fan but they are awful many years eccept for gerrard n torres.

hodgson will need years to fix and even then his ethos is defensive approach so more bores on way

joe cole is dissapointin redcard and injury already?

hope some relegated team could win just to shke the boredom in th eleague these days

shouldnt be just all about the biggest spenders

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

wasnt it blackburn who won the top flight lg afterr promotion season?

good see houllier is healthy n well again

peace

Agree with you to some extent, however, there have been quite a few matches that have been quite entertaining.

The Premier League is known for having defensive-minded teams because of the squad they have. La Liga on the other hand produce tons of great youngsters in which, the majority of the time, turn out to be fast-paced wingers or creative central midfielders - that's why they play fast attacking football.

Wigan, Wolves, Stoke, West Brom etc. etc. can't play fluid attacking football because they don't have the players to do it, whereas the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United do.

There's too much to lose, that's why there's so much negative play. The stakes are so much higher. We're talking 10's of millions of pounds between staying up and relegation. Blackpool seems to be the exception but they're doing it on a shoestring budget just in case they do go down they still walk away with a healthy profit.

But honestly I think you're cherry picking examples because you're watching the best games of the best teams of previous eras. Long ball defensive football was just as common in the 70's 80's and 90's.

Joe Cole isnt injured he will be back for Man Utd game on Sunday. I watch alot of games and i agree they are getting more and more boring. Alot of the time teams just play long balls up to strikers which usually results in them holding up the ball and failing to do anything with it. The other that annoys me is the media always playing up games which then go on to be the most boring games ever.

wasnt it blackburn who won the top flight lg afterr promotion season?

Blackburn won the Premiership the same way every other team has, by competing financially and spending a lot of money.

Blackburn won the Premiership the same way every other team has, by competing financially and spending a lot of money.
If I recall that blackburn squad wasn't exactly renowned for dazzling champagne football either

Wigan, Wolves, Stoke, West Brom etc. etc. can't play fluid attacking football because they don't have the players to do it, whereas the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United do.

West Brom? If the premierleague was based on good attacking football only then the Baggies would be atleast top 7 or maybe 8 or top 10.

Back to the point, football has and always will be a 'great' sport to play but is freaking **** watching it.

well i only knew football in the 90s because i only got into football in 1995 but i love football more and more every year and not just Chelsea matches. Possibly and this is just a guess maybe you are liking it less and less because Pool are not as good or safe (financial wise) as they used to be i don't know. I watch every game and even Pool - Brum yesterday and i enjoyed it even though it was a 0-0. I watch Match of the day and Match of the day 2 everyweek and if Chelsea win i watch the full 90minutes about 5 times in the week that follows on ChelseaTV and that is no lie. And i agree with WINFIELD that the smaller teams play more negativly because there is too much to lose because now days if they get relegated there is no guarentee that you will bounce stright back up again because the Championship is massivly equal.

well...there are just too many things at stake that just like other sports, 60s-80s F1, 80s-90s nba. It was either the industry,money, showbizz and sponsor demands or out-of-this-world physical preparation and sheer athleticism or both - that´s were football steps in - that changed the game. More than tactics for the past 20 years. Rigth now e can still have a taste of Total Football or Catenaccio. Had both during last year's Barça-Inter.
Except for Zidane and Del Piero, IMO, all top players of the past 2 decades were true athlets. Powerfull or pacey, both,etc.

Last edited:
Back