Is football outside the Premiership better?

• Thread starter Thread starter ajt09
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 1K

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
I've been pondering this the past few days, since watching the live FA Cup match between Charlton Athletic and Halifax on Sunday, watching NPower League football highlights, and any live Sunday matches that have been broadcast. The football I have seen, has been at times breathtaking. Furious end to end battles, epic high scoring matches, controversial moments. And the quality of some of the finishing is clearly Premiership type quality-just pure class:

[video=youtube;8ztkQ0bCICc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ztkQ0bCICc[/video]

But it's not just the finishing I enjoy. It's the passion and commitment and workrate that the players put in for the clubs. The amount of times I've seen a Premiership match, and spotted a player who can't be arsed to put the effort in for his team-mates, whilst being paid an absolute fortune......I just want to give them a clip round the ear. I'm starting to find I enjoy watching Championship and lower league football more than I do with some Premiership games. And it's rare I've seen a form of "simulation" too in the lower leagues. No doubt I may have missed some so I may stand to be corrected, but I've seen a few matches and haven't seen any of it. Proper hard tackling yes. But majority of the time, there's hardly any rolling around play acting. They get up, dust down and carry on. Normally to dish back what they recieved.

Teams being overawed by the prospect of top flight football, is disappearing rapidly. Norwich, QPR and Swansea being prime examples. And of course Blackpool when they reached the dizzy heights of Premiership football. Lots of people, me included, expected the aforementioned teams to be slaughtered by the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City et al. But to be mid-table imo is fantastic, because teams are no longer overawed. They bring the fighting spirit with them, and cause all sorts of problems. And the rise of Swansea is even more remarkable, bearing in mind that Swansea were on the verge of financial extinction and bottom of League Two just eight years ago. They were saved by their fans to rise into the Premier League, and now host the likes of Manchester United. Last weekend they were applauded off the pitch at Anfield by Liverpool's own fans, impressed by the way Swansea had gained a 0-0 draw while out-passing their more elite opponents. Which speaks absolute volumes. And who can forget the sterling efforts of Burnley when they burst onto the scene?

And of course, it also helps when players from the Premiership drop down a division or two, bringing with them in some cases Premiership experience. Or if they join recently promoted teams. Players such as John Ruddy, James Vaughan, who know the Premiership, and can pass on that experience, even if they are young. And of course, managers with Premiership experience help too-they've been there and done it all.

Of course though, there is the downside. Money. This being highlighted with Plymouth Argyle nearly ceasing to exist as a club. The number of clubs becoming financially insecure and sinking is on the rise. The money being handed down the leagues is clearly not enough, with the vast amount of it being withheld in the Premiership. Sometimes though, it is clearly the fault of a clubs board. For example Leeds United, clearly spending well outside their means whilst at the most successful era of their history. And this is further highlighted, by Michel Platini revealing that football is suffering a loss of 1.64 billion euros per year, due to excessive spending. Parachute payments can help a relegated team in the short term, but usually if they don't bounce straight back up, that's when the problems can begin. And the club could potentially drop down another division, as they don't have the funds to purchase players. On top of that, they may also lose their best players to top flight clubs, resulting in immediate bouncing back that much harder. And that doesn't include the best players on hefty wages, resulting in even higher losses.

Which makes me wonder. The Championship is the 4th most watched league in Europe. With 9.6million paying fans last season, more watched the Championship than Serie A (9.2m) — though of course, with a 24-team division, there'll be more games played than Italy’s 20-team top flight. But still, those figures cannot be ignored.
Domestically there are more remarkable comparisons: in season 2009-10, more than 17m people went to Football League matches across the three divisions. In season 1985-86 that figure was 7.5m. In 1995-96 it was 11m.
The way things stand, this could be the 8th consecutive season, where over 16 million fans, will go through the NPower League turnstiles. Which begs the question-why don't foreign investors take an even harder look at the Championship? Attendances are continuously high (Sheff Utd finished outside the playoff places but still drew in 25,000+ fans), due in part to more realistic ticket prices, cheaper extras such as programmes etc.

The problem of being a fan in the Premier League are more obvious: TV scheduling, prices, predictability. In the Championship anyone can beat anyone, there’s always a team that can surprise. The Premiership is starting to lose it's appeal to me somewhat-due to the lack of competitiveness. The number of teams battling relegation each season seems to be increasing yearly-and my club is not exempt from this. Whereas in the Championship and downward-anyone can beat anybody (as demonstrated by the cup shock exits), regardless of club history, size...it's just so incredibly competitive and enjoyable.

And I can see the NPower League becoming more attractive in the near future, as prices continue to price out fans in the Premiership, and they could potentially start going to local clubs or just another club in the Championship, League One etc. And if that was the case, they wouldn't be disappointed, as there's fantastic atmospheres, great football and great competitiveness. Granted the clubs they'd desert would suffer, but that wouldn't be the fans fault. It would be down to stupid amounts of money being spent on wages transferred to ticket prices at bigger clubs, lack of atmosphere at games (you just have to look at the number of empty seats during some games to see how bad it can be), scheduling etc etc etc. Foreign investors should take a serious look at the lower leagues, as in my opinion, they'd gain more than they'd lose, and could potentially ensure some form of stability throughout the divisions. Training facilities would improve, youth facilities would improve, so they could nurture and develop their own players to an even higher standard than they do now, and make a sizeable profit, if they chose to sell them. And stadiums would be revamped aswell making them much more attractive, and further improving the atmosphere.

So taking everything into account, I'd say the Championship is more exciting than the Premiership to me. Yes you have world class players in the Premiership....but further down the divisions there's more excitement and competitiveness, and unpredictability. And that's what is drawing me away from the Premiership right now.

Opinions?

Meh, there's great end to end games in the Championship, but it's a bit far to imply it's more exciting than the PL. Look at the score lines and games that have been played out between the top teams this year, they have been just as end to end, and when you have end to end games like have been played with the world class players in the PL, it just enhances the matches further for the neutral. The league's opening up, the top 4 is no longer certain with at least 6 teams worthy of consideration for a spot, we have teams that are cast as relegation certainties holding their own, and teams that are thought to be safe struggling. It isn't predictable by any means.

The Charlton game on Sunday was great i also watched :)

Sort of agree. I love seeing Championship games. Much of what is wrong with the top leagues - whiney prima donnas of players, quick to judge fans et al - is nearly non-existent in the Championship. Also, the goalkeeping standards (apart from Jules Speroni <3) is in general lower, so you see some absolute beauties of goals.

Although the Premiership is becoming more open (with teams being able to beat each other) I do still love the excitement of the Championship, where anyone can beat anyone and you can jump up the table with just a few wins and fall down with a few bad results. Supporting a team in the Championship however is tough to take at times :P Losing 5-0 at home to Blackpool then beating Leicester 1-0 away sums up the league tbh

I think the less talented teams especially the low league teams get stuck in more and the matches are more like they where in the past. Well it seems that way to me at times whenw atching them.

Although the Premiership is becoming more open (with teams being able to beat each other) I do still love the excitement of the Championship, where anyone can beat anyone and you can jump up the table with just a few wins and fall down with a few bad results. Supporting a team in the Championship however is tough to take at times :P Losing 5-0 at home to Blackpool then beating Leicester 1-0 away sums up the league tbh

That's what I love most. Watching the playoff finals for Championship and Leagues 1 and 2. Always enjoy watching them because it's so incredibly exciting

I think the less talented teams especially the low league teams get stuck in more and the matches are more like they where in the past. Well it seems that way to me at times whenw atching them.

I find when I watch those games too there's more of a connection between player and fan due to the way the stadiums are too with the fans being much closer to the action in some grounds

I would say no.

Granted, there are a few good games, but there are so so so so so many dull boring games. I have had season tickets at Bristol City and Plymouth, and I have to say, I would still much rather have one at Newcastle in the premier league, than City/Plymouth in the Championship or lower, or even Newcastle in the Championship, although I wouldn't have complained as we walked it.

But last season, I watched Plymouth, had a season ticket, and it was the most dire football I have ever seen. Even against the good teams, they didn't score nice goals, it was just 'LETS PUMP THE BALL FORWARD COS THE DEFENDERS ARE **** AND WILL MISS IT, THEN WE RUN PAST, AND EITHER MISS OR SCORE FROM 2 YARDS!!1!!111!11', honestly, I nearly died that year, when we got relegated again, I decided not to get another season ticket after the football I saw last year.

When I was a season ticket a Bristol City, they were doing quite well, but since have dropped. Even though they were in the top half of the table, they were still playing ***** football, scoring scrubby goals, with the few bits of brilliance brought to the team by Maynard, and he scored some 30 yarders, but I imagine that's because the keepers are practically disabled in that league, they are honest to god shocking.

I think, at the end of the day, there are entertaining games played in the CC, but I think as a percentage of the amount of games played, I think it would be far lower than the premier league if you took a poll from viewers of both leagues.

I would say no.

Granted, there are a few good games, but there are so so so so so many dull boring games. I have had season tickets at Bristol City and Plymouth, and I have to say, I would still much rather have one at Newcastle in the premier league, than City/Plymouth in the Championship or lower, or even Newcastle in the Championship, although I wouldn't have complained as we walked it.

But last season, I watched Plymouth, had a season ticket, and it was the most dire football I have ever seen. Even against the good teams, they didn't score nice goals, it was just 'LETS PUMP THE BALL FORWARD COS THE DEFENDERS ARE **** AND WILL MISS IT, THEN WE RUN PAST, AND EITHER MISS OR SCORE FROM 2 YARDS!!1!!111!11', honestly, I nearly died that year, when we got relegated again, I decided not to get another season ticket after the football I saw last year.

When I was a season ticket a Bristol City, they were doing quite well, but since have dropped. Even though they were in the top half of the table, they were still playing ***** football, scoring scrubby goals, with the few bits of brilliance brought to the team by Maynard, and he scored some 30 yarders, but I imagine that's because the keepers are practically disabled in that league, they are honest to god shocking.

I think, at the end of the day, there are entertaining games played in the CC, but I think as a percentage of the amount of games played, I think it would be far lower than the premier league if you took a poll from viewers of both leagues.

Have to admit, not had the pleasure of watching a Plymouth game properly. But was that just them playing to their strengths because they couldn't afford better quality players? Like not having good enough playmakers and having to launch it?

Have to admit, not had the pleasure of watching a Plymouth game properly. But was that just them playing to their strengths because they couldn't afford better quality players? Like not having good enough playmakers and having to launch it?

Considering we got ****** in the **** every week, I would say no, I think the quality in general was just shocking. I went to the Yeovil away game, and that was the worst game of football I have ever seen, and I regularly go to watch my local village team, and it was worse than that. By quite a margin.

Considering we got ****** in the **** every week, I would say no, I think the quality in general was just shocking. I went to the Yeovil away game, and that was the worst game of football I have ever seen, and I regularly go to watch my local village team, and it was worse than that. By quite a margin.

Ah, I see. That bad. Thought they were just copying the Stoke City approach of old lol. Well hopefully now that the messy situation has been sorted just about, they may be able to get better players and turn things around. Which I want to see happen as it's a birthtown club and want to see them do well.

No, however I do agree on a certain level. FA Cup and Carling Cup matches are often a lot more exciting, however the idea that Championship, League 1 and League 2 can be more exciting than the Premier League? I couldn't disagree more, The Premier League is and for the forseeable future will always be the best league in the world.

Watch the Bundesliga, easily my favourite league. It has quality akin to the premiership and unpredictability (apart from Bayern) akin to the Championship :)

Back