Is it wrong to play wing-back when using wide midfielders?

Ursulla

Reaction score
Watching at their respective attributes at defence duty I see only 2 different attributes...
While Full back has accelaration and anticipation the Wing back instead has work-rate and decisions...
Usually I can have better defenders using the wing back attributes since accelaration and anticipation are harder to get better rates...
But if I have wide midfielders or wide wingers should I stick to full backs or Should I change them to wingbacks ?
I'm asking that since it says that usually wingback operates alone on the wing ?
Can someone explain to me the different operation between the two and if is it better to use them as fullbacks ,even if they lesser rates than employing them as wingbacks as long as there are wide midfielders?
Hoes does employing the wide defenders depends on the fact of using wide midfields and wingers...What is changed to the wide midefields/wingers when behind them are full-back or wing backs?

Watching at their respective attributes at defence duty I see only 2 different attributes...
While Full back has accelaration and anticipation the Wing back instead has work-rate and decisions...
Usually I can have better defenders using the wing back attributes since accelaration and anticipation are harder to get better rates...
But if I have wide midfielders or wide wingers should I stick to full backs or Should I change them to wingbacks ?
I'm asking that since it says that usually wingback operates alone on the wing ?
Can someone explain to me the different operation between the two and if is it better to use them as fullbacks ,even if they lesser rates than employing them as wingbacks as long as there are wide midfielders?
Hoes does employing the wide defenders depends on the fact of using wide midfields and wingers...What is changed to the wide midefields/wingers when behind them are full-back or wing backs?

I didnt really understand your question but if you play with wingers then theres no point in playing wingback i believe. Because unless you want you winger to get into the box and score goals then wingbacks can easily do the same job which is get out wide and cross the ball to your striker. I personally play with wingbacks and they often get 7.50avg plus rating a season because my system revolves around using them. I wont buy a fullback/wingback unless he has 15+ crossing. If you want to play with wingers then play with fullbacks. If you dont want wingers then your fullback/wingback has to give you the width otherwise you will be too narrow.

What do you mean the fullback has this and the wingback has that?

It's fine to use either role behind a wide midfielder. Wingbacks do more with the ball - more likely to run with ball, gets further forward etc. Have a look at the descripitions and their default PIs.

The wing back description states that he's employed generally without any wide players up front.. so I guess that's why the confusion..

you can still play with advanced wingers/IF/RMD and wing backs behind, but mind you, it'll be an aggressive system no doubt.. and with such full backs(ie, wing backs), you'll need to keep a holding DM for balance.. like anchorman, half back, or the traditional DM(D)..

You always need a holding midfielder for balance, but yeah, wingbacks are more aggressive at getting forward.