Is there any way to hold a f*****g lead in this last update?

riap

Reaction score
Seriously it's getting f*****g ridiculous..
Even if I'm up by 4-0 and go defensive or even contain in the last 15 mins, I'll still end up drawing by conceding a couple of free kicks, a corner and a penalty..
It's so infuriating it makes you want to quit..
Is there any trick/solution to this or is the ME just broken?

if by the ME you mean you then yes i do believe it is broken

if by the ME you mean you then yes i do believe it is broken

Yeah cheers pretty helpful..
I'm positive it's not just me experiencing this particular pattern..
It's been happening since the last patch to a lot of people..

Seriously it's getting f*****g ridiculous..
Even if I'm up by 4-0 and go defensive or even contain in the last 15 mins, I'll still end up drawing by conceding a couple of free kicks, a corner and a penalty..
It's so infuriating it makes you want to quit..
Is there any trick/solution to this or is the ME just broken?

One month into my second season. Not seeing this problem, but I am also making adjustments when my opponent makes adjustments. Changing style without adjusting roles doesn't do anything but invite problems. I suspect the problem is you.

One month into my second season. Not seeing this problem, but I am also making adjustments when my opponent makes adjustments. Changing style without adjusting roles doesn't do anything but invite problems. I suspect the problem is you.
That's why I posted the topic..
To get advice..

But allow me to elaborate since I wasn't very specific in the opening post..
I've tried all kinds of combinations..
Going defensive but retaining possession, going defensive and pumping it, tried both types of defensive line (high and deep), changed roles to be more defensive, allowed the opposition space, pressed the opposition and many many more..
Besides like I said most of my late goals conceded come from some kind of dead ball situation..

That's why I posted the topic..
To get advice..

But allow me to elaborate since I wasn't very specific in the opening post..
I've tried all kinds of combinations..
Going defensive but retaining possession, going defensive and pumping it, tried both types of defensive line (high and deep), changed roles to be more defensive, allowed the opposition space, pressed the opposition and many many more..
Besides like I said most of my late goals conceded come from some kind of dead ball situation..
You're not getting specific advice because you didn't bother posting specifics yourself. The ME is fine. WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. What's the tactic. What changes do you make if there's a lead etc.

Yeah cheers pretty helpful..
I'm positive it's not just me experiencing this particular pattern..
It's been happening since the last patch to a lot of people..

I dont even feel bad...

if you post the right information, you will get the right answers.

too many people ah the new patch with the no ME changes broke my game....its infuriating, it makes me want to quit the forums.....

You're not getting specific advice because you didn't bother posting specifics yourself. The ME is fine. WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. What's the tactic. What changes do you make if there's a lead etc.
I've tried various changes during the final 15 mins of the game (described in my last post) and none seem to work..
How can I say that there is something wrong with my tactic when most of the goals I concede in the last mins are either free kicks or corners?
I use the default corner setting the game has for my formation and I'm pretty sure there's nothing I can do to stop Puncheon from scoring two direct free kicks in the last 10 mins..
It seems like the game is just programmed like this to make it harder for you..
I know that's not the case but every FM game had some sort of pattern players experienced often (for example back post cross goals in FM 16)

Well, the first problem is that you are going defensive. That invites pressure. Did you take the lead by playing that way? No, likely not. So you are choosing to give your opponent more space. They are finding ways to take advantage of that.

Giving up corners and giving up freekicks in a dangerous position is a problem. As in, you are conceding them. Using the default corner defending settings, if they are failing you, makes no sense. Why wouldn't you try to adjust something...?

Honestly, I usually see out a match with some strategic subs and maybe changing a player role or two. Move my fullacks to Support, my Support CM to Defend. Add on Retain Possession, up Waste Time a bit. Seems to work.

Well, the first problem is that you are going defensive. That invites pressure. Did you take the lead by playing that way? No, likely not. So you are choosing to give your opponent more space. They are finding ways to take advantage of that.

Giving up corners and giving up freekicks in a dangerous position is a problem. As in, you are conceding them. Using the default corner defending settings, if they are failing you, makes no sense. Why wouldn't you try to adjust something...?

Honestly, I usually see out a match with some strategic subs and maybe changing a player role or two. Move my fullacks to Support, my Support CM to Defend. Add on Retain Possession, up Waste Time a bit. Seems to work.

I use the the default corner setting because I've never been able to make a decent one myself..
Besides, default corner settings have never been a problem for me in previous games..
I conceded a realistic amount of corners in each of the previous FM games..

And I go defensive because not going defensive was even worse..
Even beating a League 2 side would just result in them going more attacking, trying long balls and first time crosses (which defenders just seem unable to defend) and scoring a couple of goals to draw the game..
Doesn't matter if they had 2 shots on target, they'd still score them..

It doesn't seem to be a wide-spread problem others are seeing, which makes it seem less like a ME issue than a tactical setup issue. Late goals are gonna happen occasionally - that's football. But every single time? Regardless of the level of opposition? Something is going on with your setup or your players. Are they exhausted? Or they mentally shutting off or freaking out late in matches? Mentally fragile players have drawbacks, as they should.

Saying "this has always worked for me before" hardly justifies not trying something different now if what you have now is failing you.

I've tried various changes during the final 15 mins of the game (described in my last post) and none seem to work..
How can I say that there is something wrong with my tactic when most of the goals I concede in the last mins are either free kicks or corners?
I use the default corner setting the game has for my formation and I'm pretty sure there's nothing I can do to stop Puncheon from scoring two direct free kicks in the last 10 mins..
It seems like the game is just programmed like this to make it harder for you..
I know that's not the case but every FM game had some sort of pattern players experienced often (for example back post cross goals in FM 16)
I didn't blame tactics ----------------------------------------------- I said be more specific about how you set up and what you do. Huge difference.

For example : What does "go defensive" mean? Are you just lazily changing Mentality and nothing else? Etc.

Specifics would really help.

- Defenders low in concentration are weak at the end of the game. Replace these guys late in game.
- Never go defensive mentality without at least one DMC, and late in games I might use two. Have stoppers who clog the space in front of the defenders. A hassling BWM is nice. Don't let opposition pass around in front of your DCs waiting for an opportunity to strike.
- Maintain balance in roles and make sure your support midfielders aren't sticking to their position. Structured can sometimes kill you with possession when you bunker. They need to be fluid to help control possession. Having one attack guy somewhere in the midfield helps move defenders to create space for possession. I like having a fluid Box to Box guy in this spot. Deep Lying Forwards are strong too to help possession. Consider a defensive forward, they will harass midfield.

Last edited:
Don't know if this helps but I'll give it a go.

I play 4231 but if I'm trying to squeeze a result I'll switch to 4141 with everyone except my strikea either on defend or support. My TI's are stick to positions, slower pace, retain possession, less expressive, shorter passes.

As for corners I'd suggest trying to come up with something yourself as the one already set doesn't work for me. Bit of trial and error with corner routines but eventually you'll find something that works.

Hope this helps.

It is definitely possible. Ive kept 8 clean sheets in 16 games with Stirling in the Scottish Lower Leagues.

Normally with around 10 minutes left, I switch to defensive, with the touchline shout of Tighten Up, and then switch to contain on around 88 minutes.