Jupp "Osram" Heynckes FC Bayern side in 2012-2013 (theory)

Igneos79

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, it's the tactic he won everything with. I had many attempts at creating this, but now I think I finally got it right.

So here it is:

View attachment 366446

I haven't got a clue at what his actual tactics were. I never watched a single Bayern match in that era. What I did was, follow basic football rules by reading all sorts of guides and texts on the net.

For example, I have learned that he played with offside trap. That means he either played attack or overload strategy, as those two position the players high enough for offside trap to be effective. That also means he used two same roles on defend duty as cd's. I have also learned that he played compact, which means he had to remove space between the lines, so I chose fluid philosophy. Fluid would also make his players help out defence, and with so many players in upper half, it is an obvious choice. I beleive he made his wingers help out his fullbacks, and reaped the rewards. Playing attack means I don't need a player in DM position. Or better put, he would be in the way there, as we would have to play a lower defensive line so he has space. And he was utilising pressing, which would tire out players, which is why he pushed up to make pitch smaller, and also played narrower. That way, he gave his central midfield duo very little space to operate, but made pressing very efficient. His flanks were inside forwards with support duty. That allowed him to exploit the middle and still keep them involved. Attacking strategy makes fullbacks overlap on a regular basis, so he used two attacking fullbacks, which combined perfectly with flanks. To make use of exploiting the middle, he used a treq in AMC area, as that is a role that will do the most damage when exploiting the middle and him being the centre of passing. Anyone using a treq should focus passing through the middle. He used a box to box to connect the lines, and bwmd in centre midfield, as 2 playmakers would be too much, and bwmd was very usefull in high pressing tactics. That leaves striker. Since he doesn't have two roles that run from deep often, stirker had to be either poacher or advanced forward. He opted for the latter to also help out his defence with work rate, and be a threat with good heading.

All in all, in theory, a perfect tactic. Well, maybe not perfect, let's just say flawless. He got great players for every single position with correct role and duty required, and he won. Everything! And todays Bayern players have a right not to trust Guardiolas ways, as he actually made a step back.

Now, this is all theory. I don't want to play with Bayern, I prefer weaker clubs. I just made this tactic because I love what Osram did with them, and how he won everything with it. If you have the necessary players, I think you will have great success with this, and if you don't, slightly less success. AI will have difficulties beating this in any case, as will human managers, if you play online.

Training, OI's, teamtalk and all else leave to assistant, unless you know what you are doing.

Last edited:
Opposition instructions?

have player instructions?

Opposition instructions?

have player instructions?

I already wrote about that. Regarding player instructions, they are unnecessary. For example, when you choose look for overlap in team instructions, the winger will naturally hold his position. There is no need to order him that in player instructions. So player isntructions should only be used if you want the player to do the opposite of team instructions.

Last edited:
have you used the tactic with any team or did you just create it based on theory and havent tested it?

plain theory. I did play a friendly with bayern against shaktar just now, and ended up fine tuning it. For example, at my first attempt, I ordered them to get stuck in, which should be good as they played agressively, but then it hit me, they only did fouls away from goal, not get cards, in an attempt to brake up attacks. So I just changed that to stay on feet.

Last edited:
I went on testing the tactic in friendlies with chelsea, bayern and leeds. Turns out the only suitable style to this kind of high pressure game is play to target man style (as described on guidetofootballmanager.com). So I made the necessarry alterations, which include team settings and change of striker role. Please redownload the tactic.

After further testing and much analysis, I beleive I have improved the tactic. Javi martinez is actually a box to box when placed on MC position, so I pulled him down. I also forgot that when using a treq or adv.play. you should play short passing, not direct. So I made more alterations, and tested them in fmc, to see what it would be like when we are fully fluid. And it works very well. Please redownload...

I have now tested the tactic in LLM. With Dorchester, as that was the weakest team I could find. I got 9 players with suitable roles and duties on free transfer, and played 11 matches. 10 wins and one draw.