Keeper Rotation??

Reaction score
With my current save with Newcastle i have Tim Krul and Marc-Andre ter Stegen as my keepers.

I play Krul for away games annd ter Stegen at home, seems to be working a treat as both are performing well and not unhappy due to not playing 1st team football.

Does anyone else rotate keepers or any players for that matter for home and away games?

I never rotate keepers. I do rotate other people but it is only on fitness and never home/away

I rotate my keepers, but only due to form. Currently I've got Schezney and Mandana for Arsenal, and if one has a bad game then the other gets a run of games until they have a bad game and so on. First season they both got an equal share of games but this season Schezney has been fantastic and not faulted once, leaving Mandana rotting on the bench and playing in the Carling Cup. Can't be too long until he starts complaining to me...

I rotate keepers, but keep the "hierarchy" of 1st and 2nd choice. My 1st choice GK plays most league matches, and my 2nd choice plays most of cup matches.
Two things makes this work well: I'm lucky to do well in cups (2nd GK gets a decent amount of games), and my 2nd GK is much younger than my 1st choice, and still developing. He's also a good professional. This means he's content with beeing 2nd choice (at least for the time beeing).

i tend to have 1 class keeper...1 youngster who is to become class...and loan in an average one for cheap every season to provide backup...my keepers rarely get injured though

I find buying world class, back-up keepers is a mistake many FM players make. To buy the likes of ter Stegen to play in a rotation option is baffling to me as you wont be the best out of him. Buy the best to replace your player but never to play a rotation option in my eyes.

My own system.
1st choice: Players league games and tough European games.
2nd choice: Has to be U21 and he plays all cup games as well as reserve games to keep him match fresh. I also bring him on as an 75th minute substitute in games I'm 2 goals up in.
3rd choice: Has to be U25 and I usually send him on a free loan (so I can recall him if someone gets injured).

I occasionally rotate outfield players but rarely if ever keepers. In fact my second choice keeper never lasts a season, I continually sell them for profit and pick up the next one at the end of their contract. Always half a decent keeper on contract expiring.

i usually play my first choice keeper through the league and second choice keeper through cup games keeps both keepers fresh and the younger second choice keeper usually stays happy and is showing signs of improvement

i have 3 gk, jason steele, ter stegen and petr cech(i got him free).. i rotate them by match, which i start steele for 1st match, then stergen and next cech.. i do it entire season, except one of them is injured... so far none of them are unhappy and they perform well....

I do. I've got this 19 yo regen with the talent to become better than Szczesny, so I rotate them. All difficult matches are still for Szczesny however, as he's still a bit better.

In my Leeds save i like to rotate my 2 first choice keeper (Alex Smithies & Luis Guilherme), what i normally do is give them 8 or 9 games in row, then swap them or immediately if one has a bad game. But i do have trouble brewing Smithies release clause is to low and Barcelona are enquiring. Guilherme contact expires at the end of the season and they wont extent his work permit.

Back