• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 952

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Birmingham City are closing in on the signing of Coventry City striker Marlon King, reports BBC WM.

More...

According to the Birmingham Mail he has signed after passing his medical last night. But there has been no confirmation from the Blues website as yet. Presume it will be up over the next few hours.

Good signing in my eyes, knows where the goal is and is on a free. Great bit of business by Mcleish and Pannu.

He's a c**t so he will fit right in at Birmingham.

Well he isn't a crying ***, hes the fighting type. No chance of signing for Arsenal then.

King's a massive ******, and will be a mediocre signing for Brum. If they wanted a good striker, they could of got Danny Graham (doesn't matter about money, he is only £3.5m more and wages are probably less) and they are rich anyway so it doesn't matter that much how much they cost.

King's a massive ******, and will be a mediocre signing for Brum. If they wanted a good striker, they could of got Danny Graham (doesn't matter about money, he is only £3.5m more and wages are probably less) and they are rich anyway so it doesn't matter that much how much they cost.

Danny Graham said he would only leave to a PL club and if another championship club came in he wouldn't move.

He was our number 1 target until Swansea was knocking on his door.

Well it's not 100% yet but they've basically confirmed it. This is the local paper (Coventry):

Betrayed! Andy Thorn "staggered and dismayed" over Marlon King U-turn - News - Coventry City FC - Coventry Telegraph

I say local, I'm actually from Coventry at Uni in Birmingham!
That story basically tells us that, surprise surprise, someone isn't telling the truth. Both sides have almost completely opposing views if what's gone on. Being Cov fans we're used to it, we've not been told anything about what goes on behind the scenes (money, transfers, board changes, player sales etc) for years.
Couldn't be more happy to be rid of the dirty little c**t tho, don't want him at my club!

On your own then Matt, most of the Cov fans including myself and friends feel that hes been are best striker since we have been relegated, if anything hes became a real fans favourite, of course untill now.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

@Paul Do you even watch championship football? King is a fantastic player.

I agree with Witsel, King is a fantastic footballer. He should be judged on what he does on the pitch rather than off it. Matty, I bet you wasn't saying this when he almost single handidly pushed you up the league and kept you out of relegation trouble?

On your own then Matt, most of the Cov fans including myself and friends feel that hes been are best striker since we have been relegated, if anything hes became a real fans favourite, of course untill now.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

@Paul Do you even watch championship football? King is a fantastic player.
I admit, I don't watch it, but he is on a massive wage and his goal return (12 in 28 in the Championship) isn't that good. And he's a striker so I would expect him to score goals.

I agree with Witsel, King is a fantastic footballer. He should be judged on what he does on the pitch rather than off it. Matty, I bet you wasn't saying this when he almost single handidly pushed you up the league and kept you out of relegation trouble?
Rape is a serious offence, and why should Terry be judged on it but not King (who did a more serious offence)?

Anyway, King isn't that good, he has scored a dozen goals in the Championship and has been average for Watford and Wigan.

Just don't rate him, if he was on a smaller wage then maybe it would be a good signing but I wouldn't move for him if I was Brum manager.

By the way 28 games isn't a lot compared to the amount other strikers have played, Danny Graham's goal ratio is 45:24.

Considering Marlon has played only 28 games and has scored 12 and we are near the bottom of the table, thats a decent goal tally for his first season at a new club.

Rape is a serious offence, and why should Terry be judged on it but not King (who did a more serious offence)?

Anyway, King isn't that good, he has scored a dozen goals in the Championship and has been average for Watford and Wigan.

Just don't rate him, if he was on a smaller wage then maybe it would be a good signing but I wouldn't move for him if I was Brum manager.

They have both been judged by it. The only difference is Terry has never been to prison. Terry has done some disgusting stuff himself, but its with a pinch of salt because hes one of Englands greatest. Bullshit.

Your judging King on what hes done in the past, but you fail to overlook the impressing stuff he done for Coventry. If it was a signing by one of the big clubs, you wouldn't back an eyelid.

The fact that its a free signing and King knows where the goal, which is the most important thing, then it is a good singing.

Regardless of what league your in, its difficult and going to cost to find a goal scorer.

Last edited:

I never liked the fact that he played for us. Never celebrated a goal he scored, wouldn't even acknowledge the fact that he was on the pitch.
Of course I can't deny that he's a good player, and one of the more skillful players that we've had in a long time.

Tbh, we weren't really that far out of relegation trouble by the end, it's not like we were certain to be out of it with 10 games to go or anything!
Another point that I've been making is that maybe those goals pushed us up a bit, but I think the counter argument could be that those 7 games he was suspended for stupid red cards could have been what cost us the play offs (or at least carrying on the good run we had).

It's not the end of the world that he's gone though, there are other places to find footballers than prison!

Tbh, we weren't really that far out of relegation trouble by the end, it's not like we were certain to be out of it with 10 games to go or anything!
Another point that I've been making is that maybe those goals pushed us up a bit, but I think the counter argument could be that those 7 games he was suspended for stupid red cards could have been what cost us the play offs (or at least carrying on the good run we had).

It's not the end of the world that he's gone though, there are other places to find footballers than prison!

Fair enough point, but ou have to admit that if it wasn't for him you would have been in alot worse position, although a change in management was also a reason.

It might not be the end of the world, but the fact you lost him on a free and didnt get a fee for it, is bad. Where are you going to find a 15 goal replacement from with the current financial climate?

Swear he only just recently signed a deal with Coventry for an extra year?

Once a ******, always a ******.

She said no Marlon, she said no.

Dion Dublin is coming out of retirement to get us scoring some goals again. ;)

Fair enough point, but ou have to admit that if it wasn't for him you would have been in alot worse position, although a change in management was also a reason.

It might not be the end of the world, but the fact you lost him on a free and didnt get a fee for it, is bad. Where are you going to find a 15 goal replacement from with the current financial climate?

Very true, the change in management was also a major factor. King signed apparently due to Boothroyd, but he could never seem to get him playing, it was Thorn who really brought the team together. There was certainly a massive amount of unity and team spirit for a good few games!

But yeah it is bad your right, but we're kind of used to it, players not going for their true values :/ Many people seem to be saying though that the fact he's left means unquestionable relegation with about 10 points all season, I just think he's been over hyped. Finding a replacement will certainly be hard, but since out manager was a scout for so many years, he must have some contacts and a bit of inside knowledge!

Also, it's nice being on here, being able to have a reasonable debate with someone who can actually put a logical argument together rather than some of the morons I've read on the Cov forums!

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Dion Dublin is coming out of retirement to get us scoring some goals again. ;)

Well King has basically become the new Dublin in my eyes, leaving us for a rival midlands club. Dublin was not long after he signed a new deal, the convict promised he'd sign one. It's close enough!
Although Dion could probably do better than Clive Platt...

Swear he only just recently signed a deal with Coventry for an extra year?

Once a ******, always a ******.

She said no Marlon, she said no.

He didnt sign a contract, apparently, and I say apparently because I dont know who is true. Coventry are saying they had a verbal "doubal agreement that King would sign, and King is saying he said hed sign the contract but it was never received.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Very true, the change in management was also a major factor. King signed apparently due to Boothroyd, but he could never seem to get him playing, it was Thorn who really brought the team together. There was certainly a massive amount of unity and team spirit for a good few games!

But yeah it is bad your right, but we're kind of used to it, players not going for their true values :/ Many people seem to be saying though that the fact he's left means unquestionable relegation with about 10 points all season, I just think he's been over hyped. Finding a replacement will certainly be hard, but since out manager was a scout for so many years, he must have some contacts and a bit of inside knowledge!

Also, it's nice being on here, being able to have a reasonable debate with someone who can actually put a logical argument together rather than some of the morons I've read on the Cov forums!

Totally agree, I've been on so may forums and its just full of uneducated morons who couldn't spell to save their lives.

On the BBC 606 site, it was just full of Wolves fans constantly banging on about how bad Blues were/are and how brilliant Wolves were. Its always difficult to find someone who you can have a football based debate with.

But yeah, I do like the look of your manager. Seen a couple of your games when Boothroyd was in charge and there was alot of hoofing, but you guys played some nice football with this bloke now.

Last edited:
Back