Athe~

Reaction score
I'm not one to post around here but as my holidays will be over soon I was hoping to start a new game before they're done, and I'm hoping to try a new approach to the game. I'm not one to pick the 'usual suspects' - the Sanogos, Kadlecs or Babacars of the world - so my striker choices have always been limited, and as I now aim to try something new, I'm looking for a few opinions. Pace has always been my weapon of choice, any striker below 14 pace doesn't get into my squad, but there are a few strikers with very good stats who just lack pace (Notable examples are Vossen, Teófilo Gutierrez, Lucho Figueroa, among others), and I find myself at a loss trying to play them.

This leads, of course, to a question - How do you, or would you, play a slow striker? In what formation?

Not looking for a tactic to download or anything, I like to try my own stuff, but I could use someone pointing me in the right direction.

If your playing a formation where you want to hold up the ball you would need a target man with strength, 9 times out of ten that guy will be tall and slow. Examples such as Zigic, Crouch, Kevin Davies and the rest. Sometimes you can get a fast Target man like Kenwyne Jones and Carew. You might also use a slow striker like your zigic's and Crouch's to win headers or score headers.

If your playing a formation where you want to hold up the ball you would need a target man with strength, 9 times out of ten that guy will be tall and slow. Examples such as Zigic, Crouch, Kevin Davies and the rest. Sometimes you can get a fast Target man like Kenwyne Jones and Carew. You might also use a slow striker like your zigic's and Crouch's to win headers or score headers.

Yeah, have used TMs in previous patches with mixed success, but I was referring particularly to strikers who're not particularly tall nor strong, but who have great finishing qualities yet lack the pace to outrun the defense.

Ahhh, You mean players like Kevin Phillips, He's a great poacher cant really do 90 minute though. Also try,Hernan Crespo - ParmaRuud Van Nistelrooy - HSV HamburgMichael Owen - Man UtdBenni McCarthy - West HamPandiani - OsasunaFrei - BaselMontero - SeattleEduardo - ShaktarTotti - AS RomaI can appreciate most of these are old and are classified Dinosaurs :)

Ahhh, You mean players like Kevin Phillips, He's a great poacher cant really do 90 minute though. Also try,Hernan Crespo - ParmaRuud Van Nistelrooy - HSV HamburgMichael Owen - Man UtdBenni McCarthy - West HamPandiani - OsasunaFrei - BaselMontero - SeattleEduardo - ShaktarTotti - AS RomaI can appreciate most of these are old and are classified Dinosaurs :)

Yeah I have a few in mind, I mean ones that are not in their 60's :p My problem is getting them going properly - I just don't seem to generate nearly enough chances for them to score. I've pretty much always used pace up front so I'm used to my strikers running past the defense and scor... blasting the ball to Uranus.

Actually the 'real' poacher does not need lots of pace to score goals, all they need is high anticipation,off the ball,finishing and composure. Players like this are Huntelaar for example,he lack pace but still a great poacher. To use this type of player I think give him full attacking mentality, zero closing down,low creative freedom,run from deep to RARELY so he play off the shoulder of defenders, and maybe run with ball to 'sometimes' since he's not a great dribbler.You need a partner to support him, either a Target man or DLF in 4-4-2 formation.

Actually the 'real' poacher does not need lots of pace to score goals, all they need is high anticipation,off the ball,finishing and composure. Players like this are Huntelaar for example,he lack pace but still a great poacher. To use this type of player I think give him full attacking mentality, zero closing down,low creative freedom,run from deep to RARELY so he play off the shoulder of defenders, and maybe run with ball to 'sometimes' since he's not a great dribbler.You need a partner to support him, either a Target man or DLF in 4-4-2 formation.

Been a while since I last used a 4-4-2. Will give it a shot.

Benzema is a good poacher in my opinion, Got him for Lyon and he only has 12 pace..