Status
Not open for further replies.

iamauser

Staff member
Reaction score
gh-lgflag.gif

Hello, My name is Kwakou Ato, and I am from Ghana. I come from a poor area in a southern Ghana. My life so far has been a tough struggle. I was unable to go to school, as there is no school in my area. Instead, I had to help my parents grow crops to eat. My life though was about to go from bad, to worse. My mother caught a bad illness, and was unable to recover, and later died. I was left with my father, and had to help look after my younger brothers and sisters. I was working more than 14 hours a day, helping my father with the crops, and looking after my family.

My life though, was about to change for the better. I saw a newspaper print announcing FIFA's decision to hold the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Even though much of my life is taken up by my work, I have a big passion for football. I try to play football whenever I can, even if it involved kicking around discarded items on the floor.

I told my father about FIFA's decision, and I was very happy too. But what was most surprising, was what he told me. He told me to travel to Johannesburg in South Africa. This is where the main stadium for the tournament is. I didn't want to go and leave my father and family behind, but he insisted on me going. He even gave me a little of his money to help me find somewhere to stay while I was there.

After saying an emotional farewell to my family, I began my journey of almost 3,000 miles from my home town to Johannesburg. I started my journey on foot, but I was met by a friendly merchant who was travelling to Angola. He offered me a ride on one of his *****. Once we reach Angola, I bid my farewell to the merchant, and continued on my way to Johannesburg.

---------- Post added at 04:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 AM ----------

I arrive in Johannesburg a few days before the World Cup began, and the city is absolutely buzzing with excitement. Everyone was preparing themselves for the world biggest event to kick off in their country. I managed to find the Soccer City stadium, and I was astounded by the vast size of the stadium. I had never seen anything as big in my life before.

The best part of my life was yet to come though. After England drew 1-1 with the United States of America, I spotted David Beckham sitting the one of the bars in Johannesburg. I could not help but go up to him. David was absolutely fantastic. He signed an autograph for me, and told me about coaching sessions that he would be setting up around Africa, to help train new players and coaches. I decided that I could not turn this offer down, and I was willing to travel anywhere in Africa to attend one of these sessions.

---------- Post added at 05:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

I later learnt that there would be sessions held here, in Johannesburg, almost immediately after the World Cup, and I decided that I would stay in Johannesburg and attend the course. I did manage to get tickets to one of the games, which was Ghana against Uruguay. It was a good game, but I was bitterly disappointed by the actions on Suarez, and I also feel real empathy for Gyan. The whole weight of Africa was on his shoulders, but he was unable to finish the penalty. After Ghana went out on penalties, I felt disappointed, but also excited about the coaching course I was going to take part in.

south-africa-football.jpg

After the World Cup had finished, It was time for the coaching to start. I started off by observing coaches teaching players, and then I was asked to take over the session. I had great fun that day, and decided that I wanted to become a football manger after I finished the course. My dream was given a further boost after the coaches said that I was a fantastic coach, and they gave me a coaching certificate. Now came the job of searching for a club to mange.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 AM ----------

I heard that a team called African Warriors were currently manager-less and looking for a new manager. I felt this was a great place to start, as the club is based not too far from Johannesburg. African Warriors are a semi-professional team, that are playing in the South African First Division Inland. I made my way over to the club, and managed to find the clubs chairman, Kaizer Alexander. I explained my story to him, and said that I would like to apply for the job of manager at his club. He gladly accepted my offer, and offered me a place to stay for the night, and told me work would start in the morning.

Aww... I thought it was about Ghana :(

Joking... Good Luck in SA, looking forward to your progress

Status
Not open for further replies.